Great BBQ Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyHandedBrewing

Reaction score
For the upcoming Memorial weekend, my friend and I want to brew a beer that complement a BBQ of burgers, brats, and smoked meat (pork shoulder and ribs). Just looking for people's opinions here. Do you think a smoked porter (which I have made before), IPA, hefeweizen, or do you have another suggestion. We will be making it in two weeks, then 2-3 weeks fermentation and 5 weeks conditioning before the weekend festivities.

If it were me I'd be planning to clone A Little Sumpin Sumpin by Lagunitas. It is an American Pale Wheat Ale and I cant get enough of it. It is awesome and would be perfect for a Memorial Day BBQ! I would brew it myself but I have 2 more batches ready to make before I can even think of planning another one.

I always enjoy a crisp, hoppy beer like an American pale or an IPA with BBQ. I find that the bitterness and dryness helps to cut the richness of the food, and doesnt leave you feeling overwhelmed.

Czech Pils!!! Man I love a hoppy Saaz Pilsner with BBQ. If I don't have one of my own, I will seek out some Prima Pils or Stoudt's German Pils.

Now I'm hungry and thirsty.... :fro:

I usually serve up a Smoked Porter, Vienna Lager or American Pale Ale (hopped on the lighter side). The kegs are usually empty when the smokin' & eatin' are done. I take that as a good sign. YMMV. Cheers!!!

I'd do a malt forward pale ale. one I did last year that was great at our bbq was 6 lbs gold malt extract, a pound of 60L and a little bit of dark crystal. I forget what hops I used but it was just under 30 IBU i think.

With richer foods, so anything with a touch if bitterness helps cut the richness from fatty meats or sauces. It also helps cleanse the palate if there us anything spicy. this could be anything from a hoppy pilsner for something light and crisp, to a red ale that has the bitter backbone but some richer malt that could mirror some sweet bbq sauce, to an IPA.

Here is a recipe for a smoked dunkel I did last summer: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/rauchdunkel-smoked-dark-lager.html

Great beer, better for hot weather than a porter, nice bready malt backbone, moderate smoke, subtle hopping. Smoked Helles is another fun one.

Thank you all for the great suggestions and input. As Jetsmooth noted above, time is an issue since the beer will only have 8 weeks from brew day to memorial weeked. I figure 2 primary, 1 secondary, 5 bottle. I love the idea of a smoked dunkle as that was one we discussed but wrote off. Do you think it could work with an ale yeast since we dont have lagering capabilities at this time, unless we do a celler temp lager (about 60 right now)? We can cold condition the beer as there is a fully dedicated fridge for bottles.

I've heard of people brewing Dunkels with a Kolsh yeast. In fact, thats what I am planning on doing. I am going to brew up two batches of Kolsh next week, then two batches of Dunkels following that using those yeast cakes. Should have a decent amount of summertime homebrew!

I recently did a smoked Baltic porter with Kolsch yeast, and like how it turned out. Kolsch yeast can be a bit fruity though if you don’t keep the temp down, so I’d go for American ale yeast or another really clean strain. The smoke will hide a bit of fermentation character, but not every thing.

Yep, I should have mentioned that when brewing with Kolsh yeast, I like to keep the temps around 60F.

.....I thought that BBQ *was* a definition of a culinary category.....

But I don't want to be elitist :mug: Maybe it's like how people in Texas call all sodas "Coke" (it's ok...I'm from Texas).

We do that around here in Pittsburgh. Yinz arent the only ones that drink coke!

Back