Gravity stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HypnoFrogs

Reaction score
My gravity is stuck at 1.020 and I was wondering if you can re pitch yeast or do something else if swirling it doesn't work?

We need much more information here. What was OG? At what temp did you ferment the beer? Did you make a yeast starter or rehydrate dry-yeast (either/or)? How long has it been fermenting?

We need much more information here. What was OG? At what temp did you ferment the beer? Did you make a yeast starter or rehydrate dry-yeast (either/or)? How long has it been fermenting?

OG was 1.050 ambient temp was around 74 the yeast was coopers ale yeast (dry sprinkled on top) and it has been fermenting for 2 weeks now at least

It's probably not going to get lower. I've had way too many extract batches to count stop at the dreaded "1.020 curse". If it doesn't get lower in a couple of days, it can be bottled.

Check it with a different hydrometer or refractometer if you can (a friend's). Try swirling and check it in 3 days. If it's still stuck (didn't move whatsoever), make a yeast starter with nottingham or a Safale dry yeast (or whatever you have) and some 1.030 wort (from DME) and then pitch it when it's krausening.

Measured with a hydrometer. the kit was an all grain pre boiled everything done, just a big ole bag-o-wort thats all grain some yeast and some other little things. but yeah if it does not drop I will bottle it.

another question is, its a dark lager but the samples taste almost like a light beer. does carbonation and bottle time bring this out?

What was the recipe? What grains, adjuncts, and extracts were used? If you put a pound of lactose in there, you're done.

Measured with a hydrometer. the kit was an all grain pre boiled everything done, just a big ole bag-o-wort thats all grain some yeast and some other little things. but yeah if it does not drop I will bottle it.

another question is, its a dark lager but the samples taste almost like a light beer. does carbonation and bottle time bring this out?

Keep in mind color doesn't always affect taste. It probably has crystal malts that add color but don't add much in the way of mouthfeel or malt sweetness. Also, most light beers are lagers.

Be sure your hydrometer reads at 0 in distilled water. Tap water is close enough, as long as you don't have really wonky tap water. If so, and your beer reads at 1.020 still then you can try some of tre9er's suggestions, warm up and swirl, pitch a krausening starter. Those can work, but not always. Amylase enzyme can work as well. I've used it with success, but it's not common. FYI, I'm not talking about Beano, that is different. I'm talking about amylase enzyme, just so we can avoid THAT can of worms!!

If you decide to leave it or none of those methods work, listen to Yooper and bottle it.

Its all pre done for me, I wanted to keep it simple for the first time. I swirled the cake from the bottom and if it doesn't drop in a week I will bottle it

If this was an AG recipe it is also possible mashed too high and got a less fermentable wort and if that is the case pitching additional yeast probably won't help

If this was an AG recipe it is also possible mashed too high and got a less fermentable wort and if that is the case pitching additional yeast probably won't help

Another possibility. Unfermentables remain. If it tastes good, no biggie.

Well to my taste this may be one of the best beers I have tasted. I wont know until I bottle condition it but I like it so far!

My last two brews (and first two ironically) have stalled at 1.020. This swirling you speak of, is it as simple at literally swirling the fermenter??? I'm assuming the goal is to wake up those damn yeast that fell asleep???

My last two brews (and first two ironically) have stalled at 1.020. This swirling you speak of, is it as simple at literally swirling the fermenter??? I'm assuming the goal is to wake up those damn yeast that fell asleep???

The goal is to yes give it a nice swirl at an attempt to re suspend some of the yeast in the solution as to kick it back into gear again, seems to have worked.

The goal is to yes give it a nice swirl at an attempt to re suspend some of the yeast in the solution as to kick it back into gear again, seems to have worked.

Yep, a warm-up of a few degrees in conjunction with this can also help.

Back