Gravity Reading...Is this Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattman91

Reaction score
My 3rd all grain batch is currently fermenting (since Saturday evening). I got my target OG of 1.054. Target FG is 1.010. I just grabbed a sample for a reading and got 1.020. Given the time it has been fermenting, does it seem to be "on track"? There is no longer any activity in the airlock. If it makes a difference, I used US-05 yeast.

Smells great, btw. I LOVE the Mosaic/Simcoe combo.

Cheers!

Attachments

• PXL_20210210_010005247.jpg
    PXL_20210210_010005247.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
I just checked again. There actually is a bit of activity in the airlock. Very little, but it's still kicking.

Give it time, it's only been 3 days so far. I leave my beers in the fermenter for two weeks before even checking FG. Time on the yeast after it's reached FG helps clean up the yeast's party anyway.

And, as you will find in half the posts hear, airlock activity does not equal to fermentation. Just let it ride for more time and it'll be fine. Plus, the sample looks like it'll be a good beer.

Give it time, it's only been 3 days so far. I leave my beers in the fermenter for two weeks before even checking FG. Time on the yeast after it's reached FG helps clean up the yeast's party anyway.

This! My SOP is 10-14 days leave it alone. Check gravity and make decisions from there! RDWHAHB!

:mug:

US-05 seems to run slow for me I wouldn't expect it to finish in 3 days. I'd expect something along the lines of 5-7 depending on a few things like temperature and starting gravity. My last batch with US-05 took 6 days to reach FG according to my notes. Also air-lock doesn't really mean all that much the air could be escaping another way (especially in a bucket fermenter). Air locks can keep bubbling even after fermentation from CO2 coming out of solution.

Back