Gravity reading at a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azfalcon

Reaction score
So tomorrow night is the first week in the primary. The bubbling has slowed to almost a stop. Should I check the gravity tomorrow or just wait another week? I'm trying to be patient but want another batch going soon. Lol

If you're still getting noticeable air lock activity, I don't think it's time yet.

You can take a sample for informational purposes, but I'd let it sit for another week at least, no matter what your reading turns out to be. The time gives the yeast a chance to mop up and fall out and settle properly. You will have much better beer and bottling will go so much better just for giving it that extra week.

If you really want to brew another batch now, can you get another primary (food-grade bucket)? Lowe's sells them pretty cheap, with lids.

To you and all new brewers:

Leave it the F%$#@ ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For at least two weeks. When in doubt, wait more. If you are impatient to brew again, buy another carboy. Post after post of incesant checking and measuring (I've been there too so I appologize for the soapbox!) could be avoided by a simple leave it alone for at least 2 weeks policy. How many posts have you read about the forgotten beer on the primary for 2 or more months being the best beer someone has ever brewed? There are plenty! Read them. Take them to heart. Try leaving your beer alone. Taste the results. Rant over. Enjoy your brewing. Peace!!

I agree. When the fast bubbling slows or stops,it just means that initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. I typically wait till the 2 week mark to take an FG reading to see where it's at.

Back