Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d37fan

Reaction score
Southeast Kansas, a stones throw from Big Brutus
My first batch has been in the primary for ten days and has been pretty quiet for a couple of days, so I checked the gravity tonight and will tomorrow to see if it is ready to move to the secondary for dry hopping. It is an IPA with a recipe OG of 1.077, tonight it read a 1.073. The sheet also shows a FG of 1.010, and right now I am reading 1.020. Does this sound on track, and could it be moved to free up the bucket for my next batch. Also do I need to put the hop pellets in the cheese cloth bag for both boiling and dry hopping?
Thanks, Dale

It could be finished but that seems a bit high. Posting your recipe would help. The yeast you used would be important to know, too.

:tank:

Here is the ingredients:
9.0 lbs Light LME
1 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1 lb Cara Red
2.5 oz Magnum pellet hops (Bittering)
1.75 oz Centennial pellet hops (Finishing)
2.25 oz Centennial pellet hops (Dry Hop)
1 tsp. Irish moss
2/3 to 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
Wyeast 1056

I did a 60 min boil, cooled the wort to 80 deg in 20 min with a chiller and shook the bucket before adding the yeast. I had activity in the airlock 9 hours after sealing the bucket.

I am assuming the 2 lbs of grain were steeped. If so, those sugars are unconverted and wouldn't be fermentable. I don't think carared would be fermentable anyway.

The attenuation for that yeast is 73% to 77%. You got just around 73%. Give it another week and check the gravity again. If it's the same you've got beer with a higher finishing gravity that you were hoping for. If it's lower check it again in a couple of days and if it's the same transfer to secondary, keg, or bottle - whichever is your preference.

:tank:

Back