Gravity Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace0005

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made a Witbier, and my OG was about 10 points low. So I did the only thing I could think of; pitch the yeast and hope for the best! The beer came out tasting fantastic! But my ABV came out to 3.2%, which is low for the style. I recently read this article entitled "How to Correct Low (or High) Original Gravity," which suggests adding DME to the boil, either at the end or at the beginning, to achieve the desired gravity.

Here's my question: Wouldn't adding DME to my Witbier have changed the flavor profile?

Could have but it would depend on how much you need to add. If it only ends up being 10% of the fermentables, you probably wouldn't notice.

I've been doing a little research on this. Has anyone ever tried to add light DME to the secondary to past active fermentation?

Don't think it would change flavor much...but where a Wit beer is low hopped, in the future for other beers, remember that if your gravity finishes low, but you hopped for a higher ABV beer, your bitterness will be stronger that what you wanted, so adding DME to get to right gravity would help...or you could just adjust hopping downward if you know you are going to be off by taking a pre-boil gravity reading.

I think that I'm just gonna be content crushing out some Witbier with a cigar by the pool at a record pace :rock: !! But if/when this happens again, I'll know what to do.

Back