graprfruit taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acman57054

Reaction score
I recently brewed a brown IPA, fermented it for bout 10 days at 65 degrees, then secondary for about a week. kegged it ...it tastes like grapefruit juice!

I know that some hops impart flavors like this but it is really bitter...

you probably need more info such as hops selection, method (partial mash) I dont know if i should throw this out or wait for it to "mellow".

help!!

"Grapefruit" juice? Sounds like cascade and amarillo hops together. :p

I get that from simcoe/amarillo too. That's intense citrus for sure.

It should mellow, and pretty quickly!

Don't toss it! Hop aroma and flavor will fade over time; bitterness will not. It may stop being so grapefruit-y but it will just be generic bitter.

I assume you used something like Cascade, Centennial, etc.

i had also put a spiral in the secondary with it...i actually taste tested this and it tasted great! i figured that a couple more days in the secondary will be ok.. then i kegged it and then grapefriut flavors came thru

yes it was centenenial! sorry I have the memory of a goldfish

Oh, centennial will quickly fade to something really nice! The first time I did an all-centennial beer, when it was young it has a strong floral quality to it that I hated- it was like drinking flowers. I didn't get the strong citrus from it that I get from amarillo and cascade, so I'm sure the citrus-ness will fade for you.

No worries. Welcome to the forum, I see this is your first post (besides the giveaway). You can do what ever you want with your beer, however I wouldn't dump it. If you want to sit on it but need the keg space, check this out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

You can put that bottle filler together and put that kegged beer in a bottle and drink it how you want to!

Back