Grape Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpeters

Reaction score
So I have a tried and true Oktoberfest recipe that has placed well in comps but my wife says she tastes grapes when she drinks it (I can not). After further discussion between her I we decided to go out and try a commercial Oktoberfest and see how it compares so we ordered a Hacker-Pschorr and she says she can taste grapes in it as well.
With these being Lagers I really don't think this is a yeast thing and I am more convinced she is picking up one of the malts.
So does anyone have any ideas as to what this could actually be or have perceived the same thing?

What yeast do you use?

I've gotten a bit of berry/fruit from WLP833 the couple times I've used it. I may have ramped the temp a little early for a diacetyl rest, so that could be the culprit in my situation.

Dan, I too can taste grapes in authentic German marzens. I call it "it" and I believe others do too. "It" tastes "German" to me and forms the unique appeal of well lagered beers. If my beers had "it" then I would never brew any other style again probably. But I'm unable to duplicate. I've tasted "it" in yours though. I think it's a combination of German malt and German lager yeast that creates "it" when the stars are all aligned. If you can't get "it" every time, don't be alarmed, most brewers cannot.

As a cheater's method, I intend to learn how to incorporate Nelson Sauvin hops into my lagers in future to approximate the "it" thing, since I know Nelson tastes grapey as well.

What yeast do you use?

I've gotten a bit of berry/fruit from WLP833 the couple times I've used it. I may have ramped the temp a little early for a diacetyl rest, so that could be the culprit in my situation.

WLP833 is the yeast I used this time! The time I brewed it before I used WLP830 and won BOS at a local brewery. I plan to go back to the WLP830 or possibly 34/70. You also called it on the temp ramp because I did indeed ramp the temp earlier than normal using the "Quick Lager Method" outlined on Brulosophy's Website. The Quick Lager Method has worked well for me but perhaps not all Lager yeast enjoy it and maybe WLP833 is one of those.

@dpeters I think you should visit ********************. The entire idea of LODO brewing is making "it" happen through mitigation of O2 in all facets of the brewing process. And yes, this grape flavor you speak of is part of "it"/fresh malt flavor. Prosit!

The grapey flavors more then likely come from the use of sauergut and possibly acid malt.

The grapey flavors more then likely come from the use of sauergut and possibly acid malt.
I did not use sauergut or acid malt. I use 100% RO water and build up from that. I did use some Lactic Acid (0.9 ml) for a 11 gal batch.

Back