Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started my peach blonde ale . My wife wanted this beer so she also named it . Sun of a Peach ! Lol. I connected to the Gf app no problem . So far so good :yes:

Just started my peach blonde ale . My wife wanted this beer so she also named it . Sun of a Peach ! Lol. I connected to the Gf app no problem . So far so good :yes:

Latest update fixed the 'start session's bug.

I’m starting to get annoyed with my GF! Brew day yesterday was annoying asf. Everything was going good up until it was time to bring the wort to a boil. The heating element kept tripping. Tried scraping the bottom over and over again. Ended up pumping wort to a kettle and boiling on my stove. Afterwards, while cleaning I tried to get just water to boil and same thing. Element kept tripping. Anyone know what’s wrong??

How hard would it be for the app developer to just put version 3.2.1 (before the new interface design) back out in the App Store, name it grainfather bluetooth app or something and give us the option to choose which app they want? Sure some may like the new app, but maybe they don’t have the bt controller, so it’s manual for them anyways.

But those with the bt controller this new app cannot be used.
Well for the iPhone really hard, android not hard at all. For everybody but iPhone they could post a link to the old APK. Apple I am sure would make them go through the whole approval process again and you can't "sideload" onto an iPhone.

I don’t have the connect therefore never felt the need for app. But online calculators are down for mash and sparge volumes.

Is there any place I could get those since I’d like to brew soon? Thanks for the help!

I don’t have the connect therefore never felt the need for app. But online calculators are down for mash and sparge volumes.

Is there any place I could get those since I’d like to brew soon? Thanks for the help!

What's your grain bill I'll punch it in on mine and get back to you

Actually if I were you I'd download even though you dont have the connect . The amounts of water are spot on . Also has a few different calculators on it

The calculators are on Grainfather website also

Link? It keeps saying this...

IMG_3950.JPG

Should be grainfather.com, sorry I’m old and don’t bother to learn how to link.calculators should be under brewing community on that site

Should be grainfather.com, sorry I’m old and don’t bother to learn how to link.calculators should be under brewing community on that site

I created a username and found it. The offline ones are not.

Good news is I’ve been having problems with some of my volumes and everything I e heard about these calculators is they’re spot on.

Thanks so much for the help!!! Brew on! Cheers!

Has anybody with a 1st of 2nd gen (original control panel before the connect was released ) had issues with hot or melting element plugs similar to the folks with the connect box? I'm asking because the brew I finished up last night struggled to maintain a good boil and I measured the plug/socket at nearly 200F. I have insulation on the GF and insulated that small gap between the control panel and the kettle. I've never had the plug/socket get that hot before.

This is a first for me, I've been lucky and had good performance with my unit but last night it was a different. I'm easily 50+ brews into it with my Grainfather so I'm wondering if I'm reaching the end of it's life now, it just passed 3 years at the beginning of the month.

Has anybody with a 1st of 2nd gen (original control panel before the connect was released ) had issues with hot or melting element plugs similar to the folks with the connect box? I'm asking because the brew I finished up last night struggled to maintain a good boil and I measured the plug/socket at nearly 200F. I have insulation on the GF and insulated that small gap between the control panel and the kettle. I've never had the plug/socket get that hot before.

This is a first for me, I've been lucky and had good performance with my unit but last night it was a different. I'm easily 50+ brews into it with my Grainfather so I'm wondering if I'm reaching the end of it's life now, it just passed 3 years at the beginning of the month.

I’ve had the GF for about 3 years too. Haven’t measured the plug/socket but my GF can no longer hold a boil. Heating element keeps tripping. Even when I just try to boil water. I emailed GF but they haven’t replied. Gonna have to give them a call

My first GF without the connect had the plug issue. Then my replacement connect had it. Now they sent me the most recent unit with the updated plug.
IMG_1601.JPG

Bread machines of brewing, with all the pluses and minuses.

Just wondering if you have used a Grainfather? I have a 3V propane fired system and I have a GF. The GF requires as much thought and actual hands-on brewing as the 3V system (and I mean brewing, not setting up, watching stuff approach a boil with an anxious hawk-eye, taking down, cleaning, etc, etc). It is just more convenient because it is electric and there are fewer bits and pieces to deal with. Very, very far from a bread machine, at least in my opinion. I started using the GF so much more than the 3V system that I loaned out the 3V system to a friend.. ..and haven't missed it.

I have one of the original controllers and I am >2.5 years in and >50 batches on it. I think the plug does heat up a bit but nothing alarming.. ..yet. I am happy that by buying bulk ingredients this device has paid for itself many, many times over. When it does die I'll be sad, but I'll know it has served me very, very well.

No, but use a bread machine, it's OK and saves a lot over bakery bread, like your GF for beer no doubt.

If you went electric on your 3 vessel rig, you'd like it better too.

Anyone else have issues with GF customer service? I emailed them 4 days ago. No reply. I’ve been trying to call the US number but it keeps saying the extension is unavailable and that their voicemail is full...

Anyone else have issues with GF customer service? I emailed them 4 days ago. No reply. I’ve been trying to call the US number but it keeps saying the extension is unavailable and that their voicemail is full...

They take about a week to respond sometimes. I had to follow up a week after I sent my initial email.

Bought from AIH,had the faulty plug.called AIH and a new unit was at my door in 3 days. The new unit shipped directly from Brewcraft USA , date on the tag is 7/18 ,my old one was 2017. One year newer but I don’t know if it’s he latest version.

Finally got in touch with customer service. They’re sending me a new reset switch. Hopefully it helps

treacheroustexan , thank you for posting the picture of the receptacle. I purchased my GF connect about 1 year ago and here is a picture of the receptacle. It is different ,does it means that I have an old version of the controller ?
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG

Last edited:
treacheroustexan , I send my 2 pictures to GrainFather + the PO number of the controller, let's see what they 'll say. Now I'm confused, GF shipped you a controller with a new receptacle ( it looks like a NEMA 5-20 receptacle to me ) but they didn't ship the matching NEMA 5-20 plug. So, to me it doesn't make any difference. Could someone please explain ?

nema5-20.jpg

Kettle sour is what destroyed mine.
This is what has me so unsure about the kettle sour i have planned for wednesday. Never done it before, and i really want to. Im just nervous. Atleast i know Brocks Homebrew Supply has great customer service from when my first unit got replaced.

My recent issue might be due to kettle sour as well. Nearly two days of maintaining 105F. However, there shouldn't be issues as it was switched to "mash" during that period and supposedly pulling a lot less amps.

I just need it to last a few more months before I drop the money on the B80pro when I do my brewery expansion.

FWIW, I was filling the GF up to sous vide some steaks tonight and randomly pulled on the plug to see if it's going to be an issue or just got hot from being on for 48 plus hours. Sure enough it's fused to the outlet. Still works and need it to cook my steaks tonight, but sucky.

As mentioned before, gen 2, last revision before the connect controller came out...I thought the old school controller meant I would never see these issues, but unfortunately the problem is more widespread than thought.

It will use that plug or a regular 3 prong plug
hedgie57 , That's why why I'm puzzled , they replaced the original NEMA 5-15 ( 125 V, 15 A ) receptacle with a NEMA 5-20 T slot ( 125 V, 20A ) , but the cable connecting the heating element to the controller has not changed , it is still the original one with a 10 A capacity, not for 15A and the plug has not changed , still the original NEMA 5-15 ( 125 V, 15 A ).

Sorry not the best photos, but the one prong has melted plastic all over it and the long blade socket is disfigured a bit.

IMG_20190701_190222.jpeg
IMG_20190701_190234.jpeg

Not on big grain bills... the poor design of the tall and narrow basket creates too deep of a bed depth so you get poor circulation through the entire grain bed. Smaller grain bills it’s not an issue.

i decided after a few batches that it doesnt make any sense to mash with more than 14 lbs of grain. GF says you can mash up to 19 lbs but good luck with that...

Did about 19lb last month for a whiskey. Stuck sparge. Not sure of exactly amount, bill was supposed to be 12kg and we weighed 3.5 out for a biab, suspect the remainder was more than 8.5.

You might try insulating the kettle facing side of the controller.

After sending the pictures of my controller ( see on this page ) I received the following reply from Grainfather:

" Mel (Grainfather)

Jul 4, 11:08 BST

Hey Jacques,

The tech team have confirmed that this control box is not from the defected batch and is safe to use.

During the heating up and boiling process, it’s normal that the heating plug is warm, but it shouldn’t be very hot. If you feel the plug is very hot, then please stop using it and ask us for further suggestions.

Thanks"

Back