Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So irritating! My fear is that they really didn’t fix the controller and are just sort of dodging the whole issue.

The grainfather website specifically asks folks to contact the distributor first before contacting Grainfather directly. I don't think they're dodging at all - everyone that's contacted the distributors in the US has gotten a full replacement from what I've seen in the 20+ cases. Heck, they don't even ask for the old one back which I think is amazing. I think it's pretty safe to say they are taking it in the shorts to replace all these units, but at least they're standing behind their product.

I'd like to know the numbers on the plugs that go bad . For instance

The old non bluetooth controls compared to the new connect ones . How many brews on average are the ones burning up

The grainfather website specifically asks folks to contact the distributor first before contacting Grainfather directly. I don't think they're dodging at all - everyone that's contacted the distributors in the US has gotten a full replacement from what I've seen in the 20+ cases. Heck, they don't even ask for the old one back which I think is amazing. I think it's pretty safe to say they are taking it in the shorts to replace all these units, but at least they're standing behind their product.

My first unit that died I was told I needed to go through GF directly to get a more updated replacement because stores such as Morebeer (where I got mine) still had the older models. Which is why I contacted GF first directly this time.

I got my GF from morebeer last week and the date code is 03/17 -- i was really shocked to see a 2 + year old unit. Has much changed in the past 2 years with the GF that i should be concerned? Im just coming off of a disaster with a Brewie+ and hoping im not in the same boat

I got my GF from morebeer last week and the date code is 03/17 -- i was really shocked to see a 2 + year old unit. Has much changed in the past 2 years with the GF that i should be concerned? Im just coming off of a disaster with a Brewie+ and hoping im not in the same boat

It may be the unit itself was assembled then and the control box is new .

When I got GF to replace mine, when I opened the box, the plastic bag had already been open, my hope is they replaced my controller. My experience is so so. It took a lot of persistent emails to get them to respond to me, after a few weeks they sent a new unit.

Wow, the new Grainfather "Connect" app is monumentally bad. Just to take one example of the stupidity that went into this new version:

If I want to take a "Homebrewing 101" course, or get recommendations on what recipes to brew, that's all right in my face. But if I want to, hhmm, let's see, what might one want to do with the Grainfather CONNECT?...oh, right...if I want to connect with my Grainfather (for example, to see how my sparge water heating is coming along), that's another story. I'm no genius with apps, but I simply cannot figure out how to do that. I'm now headed to the basement to check on the sparge water temp. Not a big deal but should be unnecessary. On the other hand, I'd have never known about Beervana in Wellington if it wasn't for this new app.

Was there an outcry from users that the old app focused too much on the brew session itself and not enough on information about upcoming events, learning to brew, and other random BS?

Just curious because I haven't brewed since the update. I have messed around on it learning the layout. When you go to brew sessions down at the bottom and then hit the + sign it pops up all your recipes. When you choose what recipe you want it doesnt connect to the controller and show you the temp and all the steps for that brew?

I switched over to brewfather from BeerSmith after a lot of people told me brewfather was the best app for the GF. So far I’ve been really impressed with BF. I just export from BF, load my recipes into the Grainfather app (so it can run the recipe via the controller) but I still maintain all my logs, measurements etc in BF.

I can’t imagine using the Grainfather app to actually record all my stuff. They’ve kinda proven they’re way better at building hardware vs software.

Wow, the new Grainfather "Connect" app is monumentally bad. Just to take one example of the stupidity that went into this new version:

If I want to take a "Homebrewing 101" course, or get recommendations on what recipes to brew, that's all right in my face. But if I want to, hhmm, let's see, what might one want to do with the Grainfather CONNECT?...oh, right...if I want to connect with my Grainfather (for example, to see how my sparge water heating is coming along), that's another story. I'm no genius with apps, but I simply cannot figure out how to do that. I'm now headed to the basement to check on the sparge water temp. Not a big deal but should be unnecessary. On the other hand, I'd have never known about Beervana in Wellington if it wasn't for this new app.

Was there an outcry from users that the old app focused too much on the brew session itself and not enough on information about upcoming events, learning to brew, and other random BS?

It's a total fail. The old app worked just fine. Now I find myself clicking all over the place to find what I'm after, while trying to ignore prompts to connect with friends and learn xyz. The most annoying thing is the timer. I used to be able to see it on my iPad from across the room. Now it's a tiny font in the bottom corner. Terrible.

It's a total fail. The old app worked just fine. Now I find myself clicking all over the place to find what I'm after, while trying to ignore prompts to connect with friends and learn xyz. The most annoying thing is the timer. I used to be able to see it on my iPad from across the room. Now it's a tiny font in the bottom corner. Terrible.

Another "improvement" is that now when I use another app on my phone, I have to then reconnect to the GF, which takes a minute. So rather than glancing to see how long it is until the next hop addition, I need to either take a minute to reconnect or go down to the basement. On the plus side, after reconnecting you now have to click on something to get back to the brew status. Why's that a plus? Because the thing you have to click has cute little animated bubbles!

I had a overheating /melting issue with my first one and they sent me a new one. I now strap a computer fan on the side of the controller where the cooling vents are. No issues since - even with 90 minute step mashes.

I came here to ***** about the new app after this weekend's brewing session. They turned a controller app into some sort of social networking effort. I have to sift through brewing articles now? I wanted to edit the mash temp of one of my recipes I was about to brew and i swear it took 10 minutes and a dozen failed attempts.

Man I hope they change it back asap. I'm not liking what I'm hearing . Even though I haven't brewed with the new app I liked the old version.

Just curious because I haven't brewed since the update. I have messed around on it learning the layout. When you go to brew sessions down at the bottom and then hit the + sign it pops up all your recipes. When you choose what recipe you want it doesnt connect to the controller and show you the temp and all the steps for that brew?

Well then you're doing better than me. When I hit the brew sessions button (I assume that's the icon that looks like a frothy beer), nothing at all happens. I get the little spinning circle forever.

Well then you're doing better than me. When I hit the brew sessions button (I assume that's the icon that looks like a frothy beer), nothing at all happens. I get the little spinning circle forever.

Yes it does do that until you hit the + sign lower right side

Too funny it took me a few days to figure it out

Yes it does do that until you hit the + sign lower right side

Too funny it took me a few days to figure it out

Geezus. Thanks. Yeah, I guess you did say that. But why would you have to do that? Did they want to give people the option, after hitting the button, to either see thier recipes or stare at a spinning circle? Again, not an app guy in general, but hasn't a spinning circle become the universal sign that something is loading?

These are all rhetorical questions, of course. :)

Geezus. Thanks. Yeah, I guess you did say that. But why would you have to do that? Did they want to give people the option, after hitting the button, to either see thier recipes or stare at a spinning circle? Again, not an app guy in general, but hasn't a spinning circle become the universal sign that something is loading?

These are all rhetorical questions, of course. :)

I'm not laughing at you right now , im laughing with you . Your right though lol

Add another one to the mix. The new app could be in the running for the worst app of all the apps out there. Nothing works right. My brew session today was horrible. Good thing I wrote everything down. What’s the point in having the Bluetooth if I have to go check the control box for everything.

I wish you could go back to using the old version. It worked just fine.

Add another one to the mix. The new app could be in the running for the worst app of all the apps out there. Nothing works right. My brew session today was horrible. Good thing I wrote everything down. What’s the point in having the Bluetooth if I have to go check the control box for everything.

I wish you could go back to using the old version. It worked just fine.

I just shot them an email with a link to this forum and a request to make the old app available on Google Play, etc. There is one there now that based on the name seems like it would be the old one, but it's not.

Just to continue beating this dead horse...

I'm brewing again today. Even though I've already used the new app twice, I still had to navigate all around to try to figure out how to actually start my session. Now, my session will not load. It's been 10 minutes and I even rebooted. It just won't start up. Now I have to step mash manually, which defeats the whole purpose of this unit. FFS!

I'm brewing again today. Even though I've already used the new app twice, I still had to navigate all around to try to figure out how to actually start my session. Now, my session will not load. It's been 10 minutes and I even rebooted. It just won't start up. Now I have to step mash manually, which defeats the whole purpose of this unit. FFS!

Dang you know what this tells me^^?
I'm slacking on my brews lol. I haven't done any with the updated app yet

Same thing is currently happening to me. As much as the functionality of the new app sucks, I wasn't expecting it to become even less functional.

Same here. Trying to brew something this morning. Already two hours behind. The app &$*#&#& sucks. My recipe is not loading. Now I have to go manual.

You suck grainfather app developer!!!!

Hopefully, they can fix it soon. I really love everything else about this unit. I've done 30+ brews on it and it works great for my needs. I'm guessing they spent some good $$$ revamping the app and may be reluctant to scrap it.

How hard would it be for the app developer to just put version 3.2.1 (before the new interface design) back out in the App Store, name it grainfather bluetooth app or something and give us the option to choose which app they want? Sure some may like the new app, but maybe they don’t have the bt controller, so it’s manual for them anyways.

But those with the bt controller this new app cannot be used.

How hard would it be for the app developer to just put version 3.2.1 (before the new interface design) back out in the App Store, name it grainfather bluetooth app or something and give us the option to choose which app they want? Sure some may like the new app, but maybe they don’t have the bt controller, so it’s manual for them anyways.

But those with the bt controller this new app cannot be used.

If Grainfather Customer Service is monitoring this forum, please do what WBB suggests!

not sure if this is against forum rules or not but for those using Android devices can download and install 3.2.1 APK from apkpure. I just downloaded it and installed. Seems to be ok.

Hi all. Old brewer, new GF user here. Brewing my sixth batch on it tomorrow and so far I'm loving it.

This will be my second brew on the new app and while I'm no fan of the social media aspect, I haven't had a problem with the functionality yet. Was able to import my recipe from Brewfather today, load it to the GF, start the session and set the delay timer for the AM without a hitch.

I feel like there were 3 or 4 app updates pushed through the Play Store this week but I haven't paid attention to the versions along the way. Currently running 4.0.12 and hoping it gets me through tomorrow's session.

Hi all. Old brewer, new GF user here. Brewing my sixth batch on it tomorrow and so far I'm loving it.

This will be my second brew on the new app and while I'm no fan of the social media aspect, I haven't had a problem with the functionality yet. Was able to import my recipe from Brewfather today, load it to the GF, start the session and set the delay timer for the AM without a hitch.

I feel like there were 3 or 4 app updates pushed through the Play Store this week but I haven't paid attention to the versions along the way. Currently running 4.0.12 and hoping it gets me through tomorrow's session.

upload_2019-6-21_21-26-54.gif

Latest update I see is 4.0.11 in the App Store.

Ha. I don’t believe that yours is working without issue!

I guess they didn’t push the latest update to the App Store yet, or Apple hasn’t approved it yet.

Ha. I don’t believe that yours is working without issue!

I guess they didn’t push the latest update to the App Store yet, or Apple hasn’t approved it yet.

Wow, I posted this and said well let me go check again and lo and behold there is an update. Let’s see how it works.

Back