Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I went ahead and purchased a GF connect from Midwestsupplies using a 20% off coupon. I am coming from an extract brewer (started last summer), and this is my first step into all grain. It should be here next week, so I'll go ahead and put it through it's paces that weekend.

I have read through the entire thread over the last few days. Interesting personalities in here for sure...

Have either of you seen the Grainfather Videos by David Heath? They're very good and contain a couple tips & tricks vid's as well as several brew day vids. I found they are almost essential to get the most out of using the Grainfather.

Great call on that! Thanks!

Ill give it a go! I`m a bit curious about the crush I have used since I see a lot of recommendations a lot lower than 0.055". I feel that the crush I have used is a bit to fine.

I am milling at .038" and been doing fine, using rice hulls with grain bills <10lbs.

GF Connects finally arrive in Canada - and we get them first for a change. Going to beat my way to the warehouse Monday before they start shipping out to the rest of Canada. Possibly first on the list....I sense a rather large Maple Wheat Ale coming my way...

Well, I went ahead and purchased a GF connect from Midwestsupplies using a 20% off coupon. I am coming from an extract brewer (started last summer), and this is my first step into all grain. It should be here next week, so I'll go ahead and put it through it's paces that weekend.

I have read through the entire thread over the last few days. Interesting personalities in here for sure...

Congrats and a great deal! Our local vendors give us a 10% discount on things but 20% coupon...excellent! Apparently, AIH Michigan stopped honouring discounts on GF, Blichmann and other gear.

Shipping was also pretty fast... it arrived today bright and early. It was well packed and upon initial inspection, all items seem to be in order and accounted for. I went ahead and plugged in the controller and it immediately paired with my phone. I changed a few settings (240>120v, c>f, US units, etc) all very quickly. I unplugged it and replugged it, all settings remained. I took a few pictures, but it's nothing you all haven't seen already. I'll do a test boil this weekend and make sure everything is clean and in working order, and likely do my first all grain brew next weekend. I'm looking forward to it.

Ill give it a go! I`m a bit curious about the crush I have used since I see a lot of recommendations a lot lower than 0.055". I feel that the crush I have used is a bit to fine.

I think it's safe to say that, due to differences in construction, there isn't one gap that works for all mills. Probably the biggest difference is in the configuration and depth of the knurling on the rollers, but I think even the RPM that the mill turns at has an effect on the crush.

I'm using a Phil-Mill II with a gear-reduction motor that runs at 85 RPM. I'm getting the best results around .050".

Shipping was also pretty fast... it arrived today bright and early. It was well packed and upon initial inspection, all items seem to be in order and accounted for. I went ahead and plugged in the controller and it immediately paired with my phone. I changed a few settings (240>120v, c>f, US units, etc) all very quickly. I unplugged it and replugged it, all settings remained. I took a few pictures, but it's nothing you all haven't seen already. I'll do a test boil this weekend and make sure everything is clean and in working order, and likely do my first all grain brew next weekend. I'm looking forward to it.

my Jelousy is ugly. Ive had my connect upgrade pre ordered since febuary 1st :\

still waiting on it.

GF Connects finally arrive in Canada - and we get them first for a change. Going to beat my way to the warehouse Monday before they start shipping out to the rest of Canada. Possibly first on the list....I sense a rather large Maple Wheat Ale coming my way...

Just ordered mine from Everwood Ave.

Can't wait, even if I am on Android and will have to wait for the app. The delayed start, and better temp control are going to make it worth it IMHO.

Just ordered mine from Everwood Ave.

Can't wait, even if I am on Android and will have to wait for the app. The delayed start, and better temp control are going to make it worth it IMHO.

Good choice...Dave would be one the first distributors to receive them and has great deals on all sorts of things. I agree with the delayed and temps things as well.

anyone used a blichmann therminator plate chillerwith the GF? My currentl GF chilelr is leaking and its becoming a pain, and for the same price i can get a plate chiller (good quality, that will bolt into place on my GF stand.

Anyone?

I used to used one 2 brew stands ago, in my opinion, they are more trouble than they are worth. It will take longer to clean than the grainfather.

Days my connect has been on preorder.... 34 and counting.

This is friggin stupid. Why cant NA get these stupid things already.

Well I've been waiting since early January for mine. And yeah it sucks. But right now I prefer they take their time. I don't want # 123 on the Saturday night when they're working overtime, thinking about the wife or a date and boogers mine up because they get to go home at # 125!

I bit the bullet and bought one from a retailer on ebay. Who knows when they'll be back in stock in the US. I watched too many youtube videos with people using it that I couldn't bear it any longer.

Talked to aih for those with preorders in there. They expect all preorders to be fulfilled by end of April. First lot of 100 will be going out shortly. Mine didn't make the first batch :(. I was preorder like 120ish.

End of April? The waiting is fine but they shouldn't charge till shipped. I may have to cancel on them before its too late.

Can the grainfather be purchased in a 240V version for faster boil times in the US?

Also, are there any sales going on anywhere for one?

I have the Grainfather, I don't understand what makes the connect worth the upgrade. As far as I understand all it does is save me from having to adjust the temp during the mash. Is there more to it than that. I think I saw one at my lhbs the other day. (I'm sure you guys that are waiting don't want hear that)

I bought mine from my local hobby shop. Works great the app is excellent. Great upgrade

I have the Grainfather, I don't understand what makes the connect worth the upgrade. As far as I understand all it does is save me from having to adjust the temp during the mash. Is there more to it than that. I think I saw one at my lhbs the other day. (I'm sure you guys that are waiting don't want hear that)

the stock controller works just fine.

I ordered the new one because

1. shiny bluetooth toy
2. better element control (no more variation switch)
3. programmable step mashing (used for some beer styles)
4. delayed heating
5. display screen on it looks pretty nice

I mostly want it as the element switch is stupid and I want to keep my temps as tight as possible as quickly as possible.

Can the grainfather be purchased in a 240V version for faster boil times in the US?

Also, are there any sales going on anywhere for one?

You could, but you would have to purchase from overseas and have it shipped here. I would think the shipping costs would be huge, making that option pretty undesirable. You would also have to install a 240v outlet in your house with a European style receptacle to accept the European style plug on the Grainfather. You could cut off the UK plug and install a standard US 240v plug, but I would think this would void the warrantee.

Instead of that, I just bought a 1500w Hotrod Heat Stick for supplementing the boil.

As far as sales are concerned. Here's a post from the Grainfather's Users Group of Facebook. Looks like Midwest is having a sale to blow out the units with the old controller.

"I see Midwest has 20% off any single item using "CRAFT" interestingly it can be applied to the Grainfather system also. Usually they exclude that. It's saves $178 if that interests anyone or if you know somebody thinking about it.. (it does appear to have the old controller)"

Inst

I bought one because the outlet on my original controller that the heating elements plug in to wore out and now won't keep the plug in place, rendering it useless. I was also tired of having to stare at the the controller when ramping the temp up. I have overshot my temps a couple of times due to getting distracted, with the new controller I can "set it and forget it".

the stock controller works just fine.

I ordered the new one because

1. shiny bluetooth toy
2. better element control (no more variation switch)
3. programmable step mashing (used for some beer styles)
4. delayed heating
5. display screen on it looks pretty nice

I mostly want it as the element switch is stupid and I want to keep my temps as tight as possible as quickly as possible.

Exactly my feelings and thoughts!

Talked to aih for those with preorders in there. They expect all preorders to be fulfilled by end of April. First lot of 100 will be going out shortly. Mine didn't make the first batch :(. I was preorder like 120ish.

I pre-ordered on 1/16 hopefully I made the cut for the 1st shipment

Latest posts

Back