Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks! Interested to see if they still just replace the unit. Fingers crossed.
Yeah it sucks. Fortunately I managed to brew 15 gal Monday and Tuesday. That should hold me over for a little while. I hope they take care of the issue properly. I had an issue with the Graincoat jackets where they wouldn't fit. They kept sending me new ones until one fit. So the company did good to make things right in the past. I sent photos and a description of what happened. I haven't heard back from them yet.

Hey guys, someone can post a photo of the reset switch electrical installation? I need to replace this but forgot to take a shot before unmount lol. Yes, I was a total idiot.

Well, now my plug melted.
IMG_1011.JPG

Hey guys, someone can post a photo of the reset switch electrical installation? I need to replace this but forgot to take a shot before unmount lol. Yes, I was a total idiot.

Wait, I've been a long time GF user (and too many posts way back!), but didn't see that this switch has been replaced? My brothers GF is crapping out now at about 180-200 and I've heard about the switch being at fault (he's going to test by bypassing it). I can't find what is a replacement switch and am going to email GF for the switch to buy elsewhere unless that's already been discussed here? If so can you point me to it?
Thanks!

Monday I sent an e-mail asking about plans for 240v units in the USA. I mentioned that I would buy one right now if it were available. The response basically said that (the customer service rep) had heard of no plans to offer 240V in the USA but that they had received quite a bit of feedback on it. Also in the reply was that they would pass my “feedback onto our developers in hope that this speeds up the process, if this is an option they were thinking of.”

Well, dang if I didn’t see 20% off (+ free hop spider + free grain kit) at my LBS. So I bought one anyway. Looking to pick it up today.

Monday I sent an e-mail asking about plans for 240v units in the USA. I mentioned that I would buy one right now if it were available. The response basically said that (the customer service rep) had heard of no plans to offer 240V in the USA but that they had received quite a bit of feedback on it. Also in the reply was that they would pass my “feedback onto our developers in hope that this speeds up the process, if this is an option they were thinking of.”

Well, dang if I didn’t see 20% off (+ free hop spider + free grain kit) at my LBS. So I bought one anyway. Looking to pick it up today.
Just add a Hotrod from brewing hardware and its as good as a 240 unit. I get a great rolling boil with the grainfather at 30% power and the 1650watt submersable element.

Just add a Hotrod from brewing hardware and its as good as a 240 unit. I get a great rolling boil with the grainfather at 30% power and the 1650watt submersable element.

You can only do this during the boil right? I'm assuming it won't fit with the basket in place. I do a lot of step mashes, so more power would really move things along.

You can only do this during the boil right? I'm assuming it won't fit with the basket in place. I do a lot of step mashes, so more power would really move things along.
I use it when heating up strike water, then move it to heat my sparge water, then use it to boil. It does not fit with the basket though, correct. The only other thing to consider is that it does have to run on a seperate circuit or the breaker will pop.

Wait, I've been a long time GF user (and too many posts way back!), but didn't see that this switch has been replaced? My brothers GF is crapping out now at about 180-200 and I've heard about the switch being at fault (he's going to test by bypassing it). I can't find what is a replacement switch and am going to email GF for the switch to buy elsewhere unless that's already been discussed here? If so can you point me to it?
Thanks!
@Kampenken, my GF's switch failed, I got the part code, it's a KSD301-PR 125c - it's the GF 220V part, sorry don't know if is the same for GF 110v, maybe it is because the part is 100 ~ 240v, but it's better to check the GF itself.
I got the service manual too:

Attachments

• Snap_Disc_Thermostat_(Reset_Switch)_SOP_v1.pdf
    519 KB · Views: 115
I went GF because I heard less bad things about em. I hope I dont have issues with the switch or plug . Imo when you pay 1 grand for something like this it should almost be indistructable. Of course if it's used in the proper way you shouldn't have any issues .

I went GF because I heard less bad things about em. I hope I dont have issues with the switch or plug . Imo when you pay 1 grand for something like this it should almost be indistructable. Of course if it's used in the proper way you shouldn't have any issues .

I wish the best for you, but the plug issue at least has nothing to do with user error. It is a defect that they may have or may not have found a solution to.

I wish the best for you, but the plug issue at least has nothing to do with user error. It is a defect that they may have or may not have found a solution to.

As long as they make good on their product . I've heard of people having 100s of brews on them with no issue. Hopefully mine stays good .

I had a bad luck, maybe the cause is the use of a 110-220v transformer, I don't have 220v in my house, but it's the only issue till now and was very easy and cheap to fix.

As long as they make good on their product . I've heard of people having 100s of brews on them with no issue. Hopefully mine stays good .

I hear they do back up the warranty. Waiting to hear back on mine. 100s of brews on the American version? The ones I have experience with (not a big sample size, 3) got anywhere up to 40 before the plug melted.

Last edited:
My controller just failed as well. 2 years old, 3 emails to grainfather, and 0 replies in 2 weeks. I explained that I knew the product was out of warranty and that I would purchase a new one if needed, but was there a fixable solution, no reply. I went ahead and ordered the new controller since mine was out of warranty and i get it today. Seems like they are quick to deliver and very slow on customer service. I wonder if I will ever receive a reply to my emails. I guess we will see if this one fails. Love the grainfather, disappointed in the customer service.

Last edited:
Melting plugs are caused by more current flowing through the cable than the cable is rated for. They probably used cheap Chinese made cables. If it's a standard power chord (which is what it looks like) I would just buy a good one at home depot

My switch just failed as well. 2 years old, 3 emails to grainfather, and 0 replies in 2 weeks. I explained that I knew the product was out of warranty and that I would purchase a new one if needed, but was there a fixable solution, no reply. I went ahead and ordered the new controller since mine was out of warranty and i get it today. Seems like they are quick to deliver and very slow on customer service. I wonder if I will ever receive a reply to my emails. I guess we will see if this one fails. Love the grainfather, disappointed in the customer service.

Sorry to hear that!

I have had my Grainfather for about 2.5 years now, and have not had any issues with the melting or safety switch on the bottom, doing a batch about every two weeks. About 1.5 years ago I upgraded to the new controller. I am now upgrading to a Spike system (primarily for bigger batches) but I absolutely love my GF, and have brewed fantastic beers with it. The 110 V system, while a little slow to get to a boil is not that big a problem. (All in, a brew day is about 4.5 hours, INCLUDING cleaning.) I almost always come within one or two points of hitting my numbers, using the GF water calculator. I couldn't recommend it more.

Melting plugs are caused by more current flowing through the cable than the cable is rated for. They probably used cheap Chinese made cables. If it's a standard power chord (which is what it looks like) I would just buy a good one at home depot

That would be fine, but the power chord is integrated into the unit. I wouldn’t take it apart and void the warranty.

upload_2018-12-2_9-45-20.png
upload_2018-12-2_9-45-50.png
upload_2018-12-2_9-46-15.png

Ive probably brewed 100+ batches with my GF and no issues, then my plug melted. This is a potential fire hazard.

when i look at the male end on the cord there is some arc pitting on the prong, im assuming this has been arcing for a while and finally the bad connection on the cord end to the receptacle is what caused the heat. Also soldering the wires to the receptacle would be a good idea at the factory aswell. With a connection that sees thousands of ON/OFF at very high current for that connection you might want to consider a different more positive connector.

upload_2018-12-2_9-52-23.png

I have to give props for the overall build quality inside the controller, the use of high temp wire is nice to see. Anyways, im going to put new cord ends on both pieces and keep on brewing. just thought id share my experience for anyone with the old controller, CHECK IT OUT. the potential for fire isnt very high i dont think but ya never know.

i will post my fix, and cut open the old cord ends to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

" just thought id share my experience for anyone with the old controller"

What old controller are you talking about? Is there a version number I should look for? I've brewed 7 batches then I got my Bluetooth controller about 1 1/2 years ago but couldn't brew because of a torn rotator cuff. Now that I'm ready to brew again, I'm a little concerned. Is there a way to identify the suspect controller?

my controller was from the original machines, no bluetooth. but if they used the same components it could be the same problem.

remember ive used my unit for more then 100 brews... i guess im kind of a guinea pig for long term use.

for using my unit this much and this is all the problems ive had, im still happy with the quality!

"i will post my fix, and cut open the old cord ends to see if we can get to the bottom of this."

Please do, that would be awesome! Same thing happen to me shortyz. Is it easy to fix? Could a non electrician that has changed light fixtures and installed wall outlets do it? My male plug looks exactly like your.

Last edited:
ok im back, and i tested my repair and its working great. remember to keep track of what wires go where relating to prong size on the plug (this probably doesnt matter but whatever)

i just put a cord end on some wire cable i had laying around, remember on plugs the brass/bronze screw is always your black wire (live one)

the connectors i used to connect my cord end with my controller are just standard butt connectors found at any automotive supply place, make sure u have some proper crimping pliers to apply them. The neutral wire has 2 wires going into 1 butt connector so u might have to trim some strands off the wire to get both to fit (depending on your style of butt connector, see picture 1) Regarding my previous post of the male connector on the heating element cord being bad, not the case. Just leave that end on the machine and it should work fine.

also u can zap strap your new pigtail connector to your power cord to prevent any stress on it, or hot glue it into the hole. Ive yet to do this because i wanna get the brew going.

As always, after a couple brews i suggest inspecting your connections for any kind of heat dis-coloration as this would be a sign of a poor connection.
****I assume no liability if you dont know what you are doing and hook it up wrong and screw your machine.*****

happy brewing.

Having some issues with my CFC, interested in others’ input.

I was occasionally having problems with the pump not seeming to be able to pump wort through the CFC. Wasn’t clogged, worked fine with the recirc arm. I started doing a whirlpool at the end of boil which helped for a while. Now, despite still doing whirlpool my pump doesn’t seem to be able to push wort through the CFC, like it’s not strong enough. Last brew day wouldn’t even push PBW/water through it. I clean out my CFC, it’s not clogged. I’ve taken apart the pump there is nothing In it and works fine with the recirc. Anyone have this happen? Is the pump dying?

Also I don’t seem to get that heat element noise when it’s really jamming any more. Heating times seem the same tho. Still using 20 amp outlet.

Appreciate anyone’s thoughts. I’ve had GF for two years, love it. I’m almost ready to just scrap using the CFC which would be unfortunate cuz it’s a great feature

That would be fine, but the power chord is integrated into the unit. I wouldn’t take it apart and void the warranty.
I'm in the middle of mashing and looked at the power cord on the Grainfather. It is only 14 gauge wire. Shouldn't it be 12 gauge since it is requiring a dedicated 20 amp outlet?

are you using a hop bag?

No. In fact I found when using a hop basket that very small particles got through which clogged the filter. Without using a basket and throwing hops in The whirlpool makes a filter of hop material that wort can flow through.

My issue seems to be the pump. Seeing if anyone else has had issues

Having some issues with my CFC, interested in others’ input.

I was occasionally having problems with the pump not seeming to be able to pump wort through the CFC. Wasn’t clogged, worked fine with the recirc arm. I started doing a whirlpool at the end of boil which helped for a while. Now, despite still doing whirlpool my pump doesn’t seem to be able to push wort through the CFC, like it’s not strong enough. Last brew day wouldn’t even push PBW/water through it. I clean out my CFC, it’s not clogged. I’ve taken apart the pump there is nothing In it and works fine with the recirc. Anyone have this happen? Is the pump dying?

Also I don’t seem to get that heat element noise when it’s really jamming any more. Heating times seem the same tho. Still using 20 amp outlet.

Appreciate anyone’s thoughts. I’ve had GF for two years, love it. I’m almost ready to just scrap using the CFC which would be unfortunate cuz it’s a great feature

What kind of flow does it have with the recirc hose ? If that's flowing like normal and the cfc is struggling you have something in there partially blocking it. Is your valve turned all the way open, check the ball valve make sure no sediment is in that . I had that issue once. Not sure if we should just toss in hops in the Gf. It will go right through that pump filter and clog it up.

What kind of flow does it have with the recirc hose ? If that's flowing like normal and the cfc is struggling you have something in there partially blocking it. Is your valve turned all the way open, check the ball valve make sure no sediment is in that . I had that issue once. Not sure if we should just toss in hops in the Gf. It will go right through that pump filter and clog it up.

Flow with recirc is great. I took ball out of valve so that won’t block up.

For the CFC I let PBW sit in it for half hour then run it through with more PBW and then sanitizer. Not sure how much better I can clean it out and doesn’t seem like it’s blocked up.

Flow with recirc is great. I took ball out of valve so that won’t block up.

For the CFC I let PBW sit in it for half hour then run it through with more PBW and then sanitizer. Not sure how much better I can clean it out and doesn’t seem like it’s blocked up.

I wonder if the ball has to be in when using the cfc. If you blow through one end of the cfc do you feel the air coming out on the other? Maybe soak it all night with hot water

Hi @PCL . You may want to inspect the pin/port on the inflow side of the CFC where it connects to the discharge pipe. Even though you removed the ball check valve and spring from the pipe, the connector itself may be clogged, or not making a good, tight connection. If your recirc arm is running fine, then it's definitely a problem with the CFC. I recommend you DO NOT blow through the CFC with your mouth, there's all kinds of little cooties living there. Use compressed air or CO2, or you can force a water flow from the wort output side just to make sure it is flowing freely. You are correct in the CFC is really a great, efficient way to cool down your hot wort. It would be a shame to stop using it. Hope this helps. Ed

GF.jpg

i use a muslin bag with all my hops, otherwise my pump would get plugged and not work.

just saying.

ive been using the CFC for 2 years with no issues other then when i didnt use a muslin bag with pellets/leaf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back