Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the trigger on one of these (745 new, great deal) and it'll be here Thursday!

Been brewing for 27 years on all kinds of systems but I've been gradually simplifying everything, this seems like it could be the last step in that process. I currently do a 5500 watt EBIAB with no chill, so this will actually increase my brewday, but I'm hoping it won't feel like it because there's less baby sitting.

$745? Talk to me.

Just Do It!! :)

As for circuit if you aren't comfortable in changing out a 15a breaker with a 20a (cheap swap) get an electrician! 1600 watts at 110v is pushing the limit on a 15a circuit.

No electrician will swap out a 15a breaker for a 20a. The breaker is there to protect the wire. Putting a 20a breaker on a 15a circuit = fire !!

PapaO

Yeah. What site is this on?

Igobru.com or ebay seller igobru32, but he bumped his price back up to 889 just a day ago! On his site it was 739, but I used the slightly higher ebay sale to have both the paypal and ebay buyer protections.

I think he has a Grainfather up for auction still that started out at 99 cents. He must drop ship since he's based in Michigan but the Grainfather is coming from Vancouver, Washington.

I got my Grainfather from igobru32 on eBay a few weeks ago. I believe he drop ships from a wholesaler and mine arrived in just a few days. I paid $740. I posted about it on the Grainfather Users Group on Facebook and 1 poster mentioned that it might be a version 1 at that price but mine was a version 2. It has 2 stand offs for the pump tube on the side.

I'm wondering if Grainfather wasn't doing some sort of sale for awhile because there were a few different dealers doing sales for awhile.

I haven't used my Grainfather yet and probably won't for awhile. I'm waiting on the sparge heater to come back in stock. I wasn't planning on getting my Grainfather for a few months but I didn't think I could pass up that price. Having not used it yet, I'm extremely pleased with igobru32 and the transaction.

I got my Grainfather from igobru32 on eBay a few weeks ago. I believe he drop ships from a wholesaler and mine arrived in just a few days. I paid $740. I posted about it on the Grainfather Users Group on Facebook and 1 poster mentioned that it might be a version 1 at that price but mine was a version 2. It has 2 stand offs for the pump tube on the side.

I'm wondering if Grainfather wasn't doing some sort of sale for awhile because there were a few different dealers doing sales for awhile.

I haven't used my Grainfather yet and probably won't for awhile. I'm waiting on the sparge heater to come back in stock. I wasn't planning on getting my Grainfather for a few months but I didn't think I could pass up that price. Having not used it yet, I'm extremely pleased with igobru32 and the transaction.

Got mine (version 2) from them too. It arrived in two days. I put it together and ran a cleaning cycle and then did a test to see how long it would take to bring my 54 degree F tap water to a boil the day it arrived. It took right at 2 hours and had a nice gentle boil (sans any insulation). Overall I'm pleased so far and am looking forward to brewing with it this weekend.

I think this thing will be a nice compliment to my Zymatic and 15 gallon RIMS.

Just Do It!! :)

As for circuit if you aren't comfortable in changing out a 15a breaker with a 20a (cheap swap) get an electrician! 1600 watts at 110v is pushing the limit on a 15a circuit.

No electrician will swap out a 15a breaker for a 20a. The breaker is there to protect the wire. Putting a 20a breaker on a 15a circuit = fire !!

PapaO
Yes, I thought about that afterwards. Bad post on me, wire has to be sized for it.

for all the people on the fence about the GF, I was one of the first adopters. I have over 40 batches in it, it is a great piece of equipment. I have had a bunch of posts on it - trust me you will love it. the boil is fine. the beer is good. it is easy to use and to clean up. delicious.

Just got it for Christmas, got the jacket also, 80% efficiency first brew out but I ended up with a half gallon over volume , the few American recipes I've seen have a 90 minute boil instead of the hour boil I was used too, second batch 76% efficiency, 90 minute boil was right on the money, other wise super impressed, I'm able to hit a protien rest, two different mash Temps

Just got it for Christmas, got the jacket also, 80% efficiency first brew out but I ended up with a half gallon over volume , the few American recipes I've seen have a 90 minute boil instead of the hour boil I was used too, second batch 76% efficiency, 90 minute boil was right on the money, other wise super impressed, I'm able to hit a protien rest, two different mash Temps

What do you think of the Gaincoat?

I'm trying to decide between buying that or making a refletex wrap. I have neoprene jackets on my ssBrewtech fermentors and like them, but am wondering about your experience with their thermal insulation (i.e. Graincoat)?

One more little experiment: I done 2 batchs the last 2 days - one with the check valve and one without it, with the same hops schedule - 2oz total. And the pump rate wasn't much different.

If your in a hurry you should use some kind of extra hop filter so the transfer doesn't take at least 30min IME.

That said the wort is very clear and the chiller literally works in minutes for me - my tap water is probably 5C however.

Lastly, i've been really happy with the beer. Never thought i would prefer a homebrew over store bought beer - tasty!

Just got mine! Cleaned it tonight (super easy) and brewing Saturday. Have been all grain for a few years and this is my first electric system. Pumped so far

What do you think of the Gaincoat?

I'm trying to decide between buying that or making a refletex wrap. I have neoprene jackets on my ssBrewtech fermentors and like them, but am wondering about your experience with their thermal insulation (i.e. Graincoat)?
i really like the graincoat, its 50$ though. if you buy it direct from grainfather.com with the grainfather machine they drop it to 40$, it was Christmas and a present from my wife so she just went for it. so i do like the graincoat , if i hadn't gotten it all together i dont think I'd want to pay that much.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to report some findings from a grainfather experiment that my self and my LHBS owner did. We both use grainfathers and decided to try a brew with the lid on since we've been doing outdoor demo's. Actually been hitting the mid 40's here in Florida :p

Turns out you can use fermcap to halt boil overs, and leave the glass lid on. The hole is enough to drive off DMS it would seem over the course of a normal 60 minute boil. Tested by doing a side-by-side of a kolsch and detected no cream corn after 3 weeks in their respective kegs.

Of course you'll need to use something to remove the lid when needed. I've got a pair of BBQ tongs coated in rubber that do the trick. Maybe worth a shot for some of the members reporting a lack of boil, or for those of you stuck in the Barren White north.

... Actually been hitting the mid 40's here in Florida :p
Turns out you can use fermcap to halt boil overs, and leave the glass lid on. The hole is enough to drive off DMS it would seem over the course of a normal 60 minute boil. .

Rub it in, we're going to zero tonight! Brrrrr....

I thought the same re: DMS, hole likely sufficient to run off any DMS, which seems over stated with today's malts (got 'nuttin behind that other than what I've read). Also don't commercial brewers have a similar arrangement (covers that reduce down in size)?

Hmmm, thinking out loud here, but if that is way to go a vent could be fairly small in diameter...

Also curious if the GF can hold the boil with the cover and the switch set to mash (600w instead of 1600)? That (and smaller vent pipe) is about the only use for me as the boil is fine already ime.

I need to work on a recipe for this weekend with some hops I purchased, some leaf- Boadicea, First Gold & pellets- Glacier, Magnum, Northern Brewer. I'm thinking of a 30 min mash w/15 min mash out and 30 min boil, all for a 2.5 gallon, into fermenter, beer. Ought to be quick!

Congrat CMcK, post back your thoughts.

Cheers! :mug:

I have always used Fermcap when brewing.From when I boiled on the stove in an 8 gallon kettle and with my GF.To me Fermcap is liquid insurance and I have never come close to a boil over.

I live in Calgary Alberta and it was IMO the nastiest day of the winter today.Most of the Province was shrouded by an ice fog with flurries and freezing rain hitting the ground....damn brutal bone chilling cold day.

On my next brew day I will try a full boil with the lid on and report my results.

RMCB

....I live in Calgary Alberta and it was IMO the nastiest day of the winter today.Most of the Province was shrouded by an ice fog with flurries and freezing rain hitting the ground....damn brutal bone chilling cold day...

RMCB

And yet you brewed! Love the indoor success of this. Today high is 18 and windy. And I will brew.

Have to say thanks for all the info in this thread. Lost my job on the east coast found an amazing job on the west coast. Had to leave most of my stuff behind in stoppage including my 20 gallon system. I moved into a tiny apartment here and bought the grainfather. Works awesome for my situation.

Just had a major issue with pump clogging during chill. Anyone else? Figure a hop basket would help...

Pellet. 3oz

Likely the check valve clogged on you. Open it up and check it out. I believe Seabrew runs his without it in place (just be careful if you do). This bit of info saved me the other day, as I ran a brew without my basket and it was slow. Removed the valve (it was somewhat clogged) and instant improvement. Congrats on the first brew and best of luck with next ones

Likely the check valve clogged on you. Open it up and check it out. I believe Seabrew runs his without it in place (just be careful if you do). This bit of info saved me the other day, as I ran a brew without my basket and it was slow. Removed the valve (it was somewhat clogged) and instant improvement. Congrats on the first brew and best of luck with next ones

It was clogged thanks. What are the downsides to removing the check?

It was clogged thanks. What are the downsides to removing the check?

The only downside is safety. If you have the pump running, flow valve open, and you unscrew the arm/chiller, you'll shoot boiling wort into the sky/your face. If you unscrew with the check valve in, the ball inside will not allow wort to shoot out.

If you take it out just make sure to close the flow valve and turn off the pump before screwing/unscrewing the arm or chiller.

Thanks all, for the info. Looking forward to the new system. All in all, very impressed and would recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Pulled the trigger last night. Been looking over recipes for my first all grain.
Pale ales my fav so toss up between : Yoopper's, Biermuncher's, Ed Wort's are what I'm deciding between. Maybe all 3 when I make a grain order.

Pulled the trigger last night. Been looking over recipes for my first all grain.
Pale ales my fav so toss up between : Yoopper's, Biermuncher's, Ed Wort's are what I'm deciding between. Maybe all 3 when I make a grain order.

Congrats. All grain lived up to my expectations!

If you remove the check valve make sure the wort drains back into the boiler after stopping the pump and then remove the arm or chiller. Its pretty easy to see with the arm.

While the boil seem to be the main issue with the GF i think its actually the pump. IME 2 pellet hops is the highest i would go without using a hop sock or something.

One plus when i just throw the hops in it creates a natural filter of hops so my final wort had been very clear and clean. Just wish it have more watts - i think its 5 or 6 watts.

I started using hop bags after my first clog in pump. After that....all good.

Congrats, you'll love it and you're among "family" here!

While the boil seem to be the main issue with the GF i think its actually the pump....

Exactly. Yeah it's a bit under sized. I brewed today (it was 7 outside!), and I used a fwh of ~1/2 oz of leaf hops, hard to do with a hop basket while getting first runnings. So I thought I'd test the filter and heck with it, into the boiler they went. Added another ~1/3 oz of leaf and about 1oz of pellets later. Sure enough it clogged. Removed check valve and it still performed poorly. On off on off with pump and nothing much better. Against my better instincts I carefully scrapped the filter. To my surprise it worked. Held nice and I tilted at the end and it sucked her dry! I was very pleased. I do wonder if pump was say 25 watts or so would it be no problem?

I plan, after warranty period to put on a STC1000+ setup (great thread on HBT, using one now for my ferm chamber), to replace existing controller mostly for fun of it (will allow for full mash schedule) and possibly a stronger pump for performance. For now it's always going to be hop basket or bag. Always.

Btw- I did a 1/2 batch today. About 3.5g starting boil. Crap, what a strong boil!- was like my propane boil on high! I set on lower wattage for a bit but only just held boil so back to vigorous boil on 1600 watts. Clog aside still loving this. Need to finish basement setup now, getting closer, for next big improvement of everything in one place.

Back