Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct! Don't own one. Enjoy the discussion in this thread though so I follow along. And I do try to chime in with relevant bits of info here and there not relating to what purchases people make :)

And yes, my opinion is there are cheaper, better options out there. But if you want to buy a GF, that's A OK. I just think some folks, myself included, can get sucked into a little group think when it appears everyone else owns one or it's the only logical option. It surely doesn't help when an article gets published to the main HBT page of the website that indicates there are only two options, one relativity expensive and the other relatively cheap.

I feel the same way about cell phones. I own a Google Nexus phone instead of the more popular brand. My opinion, it's a much better phone but it gets overlooked oftentimes. And I tend to be a plainclothes salesmen for them.

Tex, you've added valid points to this thread and I couldn't agree more on the article you noted. I wonder if newbies reading articles here might find them as their brewing dogma, I guess that's on them, it is just an internet forum. Some contain real head scratcher views.

While I do own a GF, I'm not attempting to expand the "family" rather to offer experiences, as many others here have as well. If I were to be the only one to own one, I'd be perfectly fine with that as well.

Your point on buying and building a like for less, I think doesn't fairly compare the "like" component fully. My points:

Sparge- No additional equipment required to support grain basket - e.g. pulley or hook above the boiler
- Ease of sparge, if alternative choice is a bag, it is more difficult to rinse than over a basket
Chiller- Included w/GF. Many users, myself included, find the GF's CFC to be an excellent addition
Controller- Arguably not a strong point w/GF, however it does offer what I'd consider the necessary functions, if you wish to step mash changing the temp manually at each point in time is reasonable. Given that, I may still upgrade an STC 1000 controller, after GF warranty expires, to allow for this- simple diy here on HBT (STC 1000+ by alphaomega, I already did this for my ferm chamber). A PID controller for mash is unnecessary.
Appearance- Yes, you can build one, but there is value in the all-in-one clean look of the GF, so for "like" comparison, the diy should have similar finish. Value of that is in eye of the purchaser.

As for GF downsides, I would agree with the built in heater as the primary one. If that goes some day out of warranty, you're screwed if you're not a strong diy person (myself, I'd attempt to "open her up" and see what results :) ). The other issue is the longer time to get up to mash temp- though I compensate with using this as prep time (water additions / grain measuring and milling). The mash to boil time is a non-issue, just set to boil while sparging and you're near 200 by end of sparge. One could also argue the pump is undersized. I've moved 5.5gal of hot wort into my fermenter at pitching temps in 15 min, so I'm a-ok with that result! Finally, at full boil you won't be able to make much over 6-7g of wort, but the buyer has to realize this upfront, right?

If you can come up with a build that answers all of the above for <$800 (yes, it can be purchased for that, or lower!) than great, share it! Others who read this thread and haven't decided yet should be interested in their options, which is why you and I are here!

Cheers, and brew on my friend! :mug:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-and-boiloff-gravity-calculator/

Yeah you just add clean water to the wort and pitch the yeast - i never boil it.

I watered down 1.068 i think it was to 1.050 once. It worked fine. Ideally you would want to get the OG much higher which you can with the GF however its doesn't boil really good at pre-boil wort of 30L on its own, so i would probably/might use less total volume next time if i didn't have another source of heat.

Using the calculator:

6 gallons of wort @ 1.085 SG watered down to 1.050 SG will give you 10.2 gallons of beer.

If I'm using RO could anything get picked up in the system? A campden tablet overnight as well maybe? Or am I overthinking things?

Tex, you've added valid points to this thread and I couldn't agree more on the article you noted. I wonder if newbies reading articles here might find them as their brewing dogma, I guess that's on them, it is just an internet forum. Some contain real head scratcher views.

While I do own a GF, I'm not attempting to expand the "family" rather to offer experiences, as many others here have as well. If I were to be the only one to own one, I'd be perfectly fine with that as well.

Your point on buying and building a like for less, I think doesn't fairly compare the "like" component fully. My points:

Sparge- No additional equipment required to support grain basket - e.g. pulley or hook above the boiler

- Ease of sparge, if alternative choice is a bag, it is more difficult to rinse than over a basket

Chiller- Included w/GF. Many users, myself included, find the GF's CFC to be an excellent addition

Controller- Arguably not a strong point w/GF, however it does offer what I'd consider the necessary functions, if you wish to step mash changing the temp manually at each point in time is reasonable. Given that, I may still upgrade an STC 1000 controller, after GF warranty expires, to allow for this- simple diy here on HBT (STC 1000+ by alphaomega, I already did this for my ferm chamber). A PID controller for mash is unnecessary.

Appearance- Yes, you can build one, but there is value in the all-in-one clean look of the GF, so for "like" comparison, the diy should have similar finish. Value of that is in eye of the purchaser.

As for GF downsides, I would agree with the built in heater as the primary one. If that goes some day out of warranty, you're screwed if you're not a strong diy person (myself, I'd attempt to "open her up" and see what results :) ). The other issue is the longer time to get up to mash temp- though I compensate with using this as prep time (water additions / grain measuring and milling). The mash to boil time is a non-issue, just set to boil while sparging and you're near 200 by end of sparge. One could also argue the pump is undersized. I've moved 5.5gal of hot wort into my fermenter at pitching temps in 15 min, so I'm a-ok with that result! Finally, at full boil you won't be able to make much over 6-7g of wort, but the buyer has to realize this upfront, right?

If you can come up with a build that answers all of the above for <$800 (yes, it can be purchased for that, or lower!) than great, share it! Others who read this thread and haven't decided yet should be interested in their options, which is why you and I are here!

Cheers, and brew on my friend! :mug:

Excellent response and states everything I feel and could've should've would've...said. Enjoy your Memorial weekend next as much as us on this side of the line will do for our Vicky Weekend :)

Thanks, hopefully it will be nicer than this upcoming w/e- rainy and temps 50s-60s F. Ughh, but long range looks better. Happy Vicky's Day! Brewing tomorrow on GF a beach brew for trip at end of June.

If I'm using RO could anything get picked up in the system? A campden tablet overnight as well maybe? Or am I overthinking things?

Yes, no idea, Maybe. :)

Do whatever makes you sleep at night dude. I roll the dice so to speak more often then a lot of people. Sanitation of course is important but its like the boogeyman around here.

I'm sure some folks would be shocked over my sanitation habits but i never had an infected batch in over 200 batchs - mostly extract based - i say now in my life.

I concentrate on post boil sanitation. I once had some old mold floating around in my wort before i boiled it. I removed it and have no idea where it came from. And the beer came out fine.

I did think that i was going to have a visit from the boogeyman finally, however. :p

Finally got my first brew with the GF. Went really well. Brewed a Pizza Port Shark Bite Red clone. After reading here, I went with a Mash temp higher than called due to the position of the temp probe ( 164 instead of 156) hit my numbers for OG (1.060) and final volume in the fermenter, ( I sparged a little bit more than what Grainfather site called for but a lil less than beersmith!) Had my WLP001 for a while so I had to do a 2 step starter this week, overbuild it so I should have a healthy vial for next batch. Will see if we have activity in the morning...

Whoever is in the Facebook user groups probably saw this already but a new controller was (sort of) announced. They are sending it out to beta testers in NZ now. Will have step mashes, Bluetooth connectivity to phone, and some other stuff. They emailed info to someone who wasn't supposed to share but he did anyway. They may be sending out an email today about the new unit. No word on price unfortunately. Hoping it's less than $75usd.

Whoever is in the Facebook user groups probably saw this already but a new controller was (sort of) announced. They are sending it out to beta testers in NZ now. Will have step mashes, Bluetooth connectivity to phone, and some other stuff. They emailed info to someone who wasn't supposed to share but he did anyway. They may be sending out an email today about the new unit. No word on price unfortunately. Hoping it's less than $75usd.

$75 USD...I hope you're right but I'm thinking it's a case of "wishful drinking". A multi platform upgrade kit (Grainfather is one of a few)in Europe is out and it's around $300. I'm definitely not interested in it, but if the Grainfolk people offered one for under say $150 USD, I might be tempted to pimp my ride.

Mine sometimes shows "2".
I called Grainfather customer support, they requested me to contact the retailer. The retailer told me to wait. No response since then, and it was three months ago.

The same thing happened to me yesterday. I think I messed up something while setting the controller to Celsius and cannot enter the menu -- holding down the two arrow buttons gives me a number, usually "0".

Does anyone have a fix?

Cheers!
Hi folks,

I eventually found a way into the settings -- I had to set the controller to "boil" (I had previously tried "off" and "mash"). Then I had to poke around the intertubes to find the OEM manual for the controller since had reverted passwords.

No idea why "boil" worked. And The second brew went much smoother :rockin:

Cheers!

I may get the new control box next year. I think there are other things I need right now to improve my beer. The control box would be nice but not a must have.

Got the email today:

Grainfather Connect Control Box!
We're sure you've been hearing a lot of talk about a new control box for some time and we're finally at a stage where we can tell you all about it.

We have been busy working on the new Grainfather Connect Control Box with app integration, so your Grainfather can be controlled by the Grainfather Connect app.

We want to make sure you know what our plans are for this as we're sure you will start to see and hear about it online.

Please read the below information in entirety before contacting us.
Beta Launch
We are first sending out a small amount of of beta units, which we are having tested by people in New Zealand first. Due to the location of our head office and the practicality of conducting this beta launch, we are not able to extend this outside of New Zealand.

The beta launch will be happening at the end of the month/beginning of June 2016. Those involved will be required to buy the unit and help us with testing and feedback.

The control boxes will be available for purchase separately (for those who would like to upgrade) and will be included in Grainfathers being sold in stores and online. This is estimated to happen around October 2016. We will update you with any news or changes on that timing as we hear it.

What if I buy a Grainfather now?
The Grainfathers that are currently being sold will be compatible with this new control box. The price of the control box + what you paid for your Grainfather will be roughly the same price as the Grainfathers that will be sold later in the year with control boxes. So basically if you order now and upgrade later - you don't have to wait to brew and make delicious beer in the meantime!

Features & Specs:
Control Box FaceComplete control over the heater power using a modified PID algorithm, gives more accurate temperature control and removes the need for the Element Variation Switch. No longer is the element simply on or off.
A Bluetooth connection between your device and the new control box allows the unit to be controlled from your device, and give you updates to your device while still allowing complete manual control on the system itself. Our new auto mode uses this Bluetooth connection to automate the control of the Grainfather, making brewing a breeze.
New simple user friendly design - screen/buttons.
Water resistant face (no cover anymore).
Fits all Grainfathers currently on the market (attachment lugs can be moved to suit), and you can swap between Celsius & Fahrenheit as desired.
What else should I know?
There will be an entirely new app which you will need to download - Grainfather Connect, in order to control the unit, rather than the existing one. This will be available at the same time as the control boxes. This will be available on Apple and Android devices. The control box will also be useable with or without the app.

So there you have it, no pricing, but an official announcement for it as their hand was forced ;P

*edit* I did verify it does not show in the store yet, even for pre-order or *out of stock* so.. keep guessing.

I'd be surprised if they offer it under $300. They are pretty much out of stock on anything that you actually need for the unit, such as the hop spider (been out of stock for months), so my assumption is is that once the upgrade controller is finally ready, it will be out of stock right away for months...

I'd be surprised if they offer it under $300. They are pretty much out of stock on anything that you actually need for the unit, such as the hop spider (been out of stock for months), so my assumption is is that once the upgrade controller is finally ready, it will be out of stock right away for months...

That much? really? I have no idea frankly i will just spend $300 on grains and other stuff. :)

I bought the grainfather for precision on keeping a good mash temp. The automated controller would be nice but its not a "must have" by any means. It doesn't take much effort to just toggle the mash and boil element switches.

Does anyone find going in and programming the hysteresis necessary as far as fluctuation in mash temp? What happens if you set the the max boil temp higher? Do you get a more vigourous boil since the element stays on longer to reach a higher boil temp? Just curious as to those of you whom have gone in and reprogrammed you GF controllers. Thanks!

I bought the grainfather for precision on keeping a good mash temp. The automated controller would be nice but its not a "must have" by any means. It doesn't take much effort to just toggle the mash and boil element switches.

+1

Hell, it'll probably be "Out of Stock" anyway. Like the mythical micro pipework.

I'd also like to add that I don't want a controller that does everything for me, what's the fun in a set it and forget brew day? I know we all want to make quality beer, but making it is the fun part, well drinking it may be more fun, but you get my point...with that being said, I still may get the controller depending on price and what it can do to make the brew day more efficient.

Not to be a forum cop or anything. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading the control unit if that's what someone wants.

I'm sure it will probably look sharper.

I don't think it will make much difference in the end product however.

Automated step mashes would be a nice feature but raising the mash temps manually will still give the same result

Just realized my nb cream ale kit is an 8lb grain bill. Wish I had the micro pipework for this. Still can make it work though but adding more water and cutting sparge amount.

Automated step mashes would be a nice feature but raising the mash temps manually will still give the same result

I agree, it's really not a big deal. Besides the STC 1000+ build on HBT answers that and more. I flashed one STC for my ferm chamber, it works great, and will flash another I have for the GF, after warranty period. Simple, around $15. Plus lots of control options, time, temp, hysteresis, delays, choice of scale, multiple steps, need I write more?! :)

Also, GF intends that upgrades cost the same as an incremental increase in a new GF w/upgrade. If this is $300 (and I have no idea) that is making the GF much more pricey and weakening a selling point, price.

I've used the micro pipe work for my first brew and it worked pretty well. If you can get it, it's great for the lighter brews or sample batches as well.

What is it with the GF US site? I can't access it. I may FB message GF as I would like the micro pipe work myself. Didn't know it was hard to come by, just can't get to their web site!

quick Question - Micro pipework, what is the maximum kg of grain ??
and the normal pipework, what is the perceived minimum kg of grain??

I agree, it's really not a big deal. Besides the STC 1000+ build on HBT answers that and more. I flashed one STC for my ferm chamber, it works great, and will flash another I have for the GF, after warranty period. Simple, around $15. Plus lots of control options, time, temp, hysteresis, delays, choice of scale, multiple steps, need I write more?! :)

Also, GF intends that upgrades cost the same as an incremental increase in a new GF w/upgrade. If this is $300 (and I have no idea) that is making the GF much more pricey and weakening a selling point, price.

I agree here. If they jump the GF retail price to too much over $1000, and then it is not such a great deal anymore. Also, temp controller units ( ready to use, not an STC) are usually around $70-90, so the extra features this will include cannot posssibly cost too much more. I will probably buy the new controller if it is around the $150 range. Hopefully the include a longer power chord and an alarm for when it reaches target temp.

I'd also like to add that I don't want a controller that does everything for me, what's the fun in a set it and forget brew day? I know we all want to make quality beer, but making it is the fun part, well drinking it may be more fun, but you get my point...with that being said, I still may get the controller depending on price and what it can do to make the brew day more efficient.

well it wont sparge for you, add hops or any other additions during boil. You still have to do the work, even the step mashes. You just program it before you mash in instead of raising the temp every so often. pretty much the same amount of work, just at a different point in the process. I am not exactly sure how this will work, but they also mention that their "new" pid algorithym will maintain better temp control. Hopefully this means a lot less fluctuation in temps during the mash.

well it wont sparge for you, add hops or any other additions during boil. You still have to do the work, even the step mashes. You just program it before you mash in instead of raising the temp every so often. pretty much the same amount of work, just at a different point in the process. I am not exactly sure how this will work, but they also mention that their "new" pid algorithym will maintain better temp control. Hopefully this means a lot less fluctuation in temps during the mash.

I completely agree about the large variation of temp in the mash process. I use a temp probe in the mash section and it can see a large variation. The small mash heater struggles to raise/control the temp in the mash tun.

The GF for me is very hands on for the first hour plus of the brew day.

My biggest upgrade has been the triple false bottom I'm using.........zero grain in the boil. The extra temp probe is nice to have for monitoring purposes.

Jamie

I completely agree about the large variation of temp in the mash process. I use a temp probe in the mash section and it can see a large variation. The small mash heater struggles to raise/control the temp in the mash tun.

The GF for me is very hands on for the first hour plus of the brew day.

My biggest upgrade has been the triple false bottom I'm using.........zero grain in the boil. The extra temp probe is nice to have for monitoring purposes.

Jamie

What temps on the control box have you been using? Whats your eff?

I'm getting around 78% to low 80's for efficiency I would say. The temp control box is set lately to 152F for a good all around mash temp. I have gone lower for a dry beer. The GF all in all works for the most part. I still think a mash cooler gives a steady temperature if that's what your looking for.

I'm getting around 78% to low 80's for efficiency I would say. The temp control box is set lately to 152F for a good all around mash temp. I have gone lower for a dry beer. The GF all in all works for the most part. I still think a mash cooler gives a steady temperature if that's what your looking for.

Id love to see your upgraded basket filter.

This is a quick pic I loaded from before

1461977152243.jpg

hmm...i've been debating on getting a grain father for a few months. planned to get a credit card with a $150 cash back bonus and paying it off over a year and then canceling, or possibly selling one of my pinball machines to help secure the cash straight out. pinball machine option would also allow funds to get a beginner kegging system.
almost want to pull the trigger before the possible price jump.
my biggest concern is if the element goes out since it supposedly can't be replaced. anyone know of folks having issues with it burning out or have any conjecture on how long it would take for one to fail, possibly based on a standard electric brewing system. have there even been any reports of it burning out for the US system? honestly i'd probably brew 2-3 times a month on average.

I never heard anything myself. The unit does have a re-set switch at the bottom though and a few folks got a good fright thinking the heater was wrecked.

Latest posts

Back