Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm planning on finally placing my order tonight when I get home from work. So it will only be a few days I'm hoping that the coat will feel like Tiny Tim's crutch lying in the corner without it's rightful owner.

You haven't ordered your GF yet and purchased A graincoat Lol that's awesome. You will probably use it unless you have reflectix. More insulation the better! My two layers of reflectix holds temps perfect and boils fast. Your going to love it!

So just a little pro/con rundown after a number of brews with the U.S. model...

Pros:

- Cleanup is substantially faster not only due to the smaller number of vessels involved but the cleaning cycle you run on it at the end. Just set it and walk away for a bit, dump the cleaning water, refill w/clean water, recirc for a bit, maybe give it a quick wipe down (or just let gravity take care of it), and you're good.

- I haven't run into any leaks with either the boiler, mash basket, recirc pipe/pump, or CFC. I have confidence in kicking off a brew or a pump cycle on it and not having to babysit it.

- Once you dial your mash/sparge volumes in, you'll nail your expected numbers every time if you keep your process the same. I have taken to using Beersmith with a modified equipment profile (check the Grainfather FB group for that info) and when I trust what the software gives me AND have my sparge water heated and ready when I pull the basket out - to where the sparge starts the moment the basket's pulled out - everything's gone smoothly. It's when I've deviated from the norm by purpose or otherwise that I've gotten a stuck sparge, missed volumes, etc.

- I know a number of folks like the GF because it stores away in no bigger a space than a carboy or gatorade cooler. I didn't buy it for that reason, but it's awfully convenient that it stores in itself.

Cons:

- Sight glass would have been nice on the boiler. As it is, I have to know my sparge water volume in the source vessel instead of the boiler and I'd rather go off doing math on the pre-sparge volume and working from there to get my sparge volume. As it is, it's very hard to see the internal volume lines when the basket's sitting on top of the boiler.

- If I do a larger beer, I find the heating element will accumulate a bit of sugar which twice now has triggered the safety shutoff on the heating element. Tipping the GF to get to the bottom of the unit to reset the element isn't my favorite thing in the world. The solution to that is to be diligent about keeping the element clean, but in the process of that I'm afraid I'll knock off the precariously-positioned trub filter leading to the pump. Having no easily-bumpable end cap to the trub filter (maybe, oh, I don't know, a screw-on cap?) would be a bonus, as would some sort of, say, quick disconnect from the rubber female connection to the male internal port on the boiler leading to the pump.

That's really it for cons. The boil was my major concern as it is for a lot of people, and I completely get it. I was given a great tip of ensuring that you're plugging your GF into an outlet that's got the little "side thingy" on the plugs like this: -| | instead of just the two lines: | |

I know that's a HORRRRIBLE explanation but I guess the ones with the extra thingy on it are the 20A outlets, which should maximize the power on the GF as opposed to the other outlets which are the 15A outlets. I have never had an issue with maintaining a boil, and while ramp-up takes longer than with propane or more powerful elements, the perks of easy transfer when cooling and quick cleanup tend to cancel out the ramp up to boil slowness.

Lastly, don't buy that silly jacket. Even three/four coats of reflectix would be cheaper than that thing and I can't imagine it's more effective. One of the selling points is that you can wash the outer fabric on the jacket...if getting a little sugary wort on your reflectix that doesn't come off 100% is that big a deal, by all means, go for it...but I'd rather spend that money on a decent sparge water heater or some QDs for the CFC connections.

Very good right up. I would have to agree on both pros and cons! I was looking at their grainfather sparge heater but the tap just doesn't sound like it works well.

Shame on you guys. This forum is full of people who are experts at convincing me into making my purchases. I've been reading n researching for some time. I think I'd love this setup. You've succeeded in convincing me. Guess I know what I'm asking Santa for Christmas. Thx for the reviews guys..

A couple more comments...

Reflectix works well. And it is easy to make a jacket. I think there was a link to the dimensions and a template on another thread.... I made three of them from a 10 ft roll.

You can easily add a temperature probe at the output on the chiller.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/tndc9siflo4xicn/AAA5chGFdUxRESIPc-JcTZpua
F9gb8zjTYIZpRY7fpIcdWplR_4xvO78vtW57zkls1_4

Shame on you guys. This forum is full of people who are experts at convincing me into making my purchases. I've been reading n researching for some time. I think I'd love this setup. You've succeeded in convincing me. Guess I know what I'm asking Santa for Christmas. Thx for the reviews guys..

Your going to love it!
A temp probe on the chiller would be awesome! I have just waited for it in my FV to read the appropriate temps.

I just found this and this is a great thread. to piggy back on....I have mine for several months now brewing 5 batches of IPA on it so far - large grain bills of 15 lbs which it handles well. I have to use a hop strainer for such large amounts of hops that I use otherwise it definitely clogs the filter, and since changing from the hop spider to the stainless filter has been a huge difference even (the hop spider with the bag retained a lot of wort always that I had to squeeze out).

I have the reflectix double wrapped but I still can't reach over 209 degrees indoors. it's a boil nonetheless but why doesn't it get up there I ask. I use it on an extension cord - heavy guage but maybe that's an issue? does anyone else use an extension cord with high boil? what type of outlet/circuit do you guys run on? would 20amp make a difference? would changing the outlet to a higher amp help? I may have a 20 amp circuit hopefully in the kitchen somewhere.

also, I use beersmith with a modified profile but use the water volume calculators from their website. does anyone use the website calculators? i was told they are the same on the site and in the manual. also, when I load the GF equipment into the profile the mash/sparge volumes are not correct compared to the website calculator? so the brew steps are wrong volumes so I changed a lot of to match the volumes from GF.

also I don't boil with the lid on but have read somewhere else some people do. What is the concensus? as I use the Hop Strainer the lid sits on that with more venting allowing a more rolling/aggressive boil.

overall I really love it going from BIAB to this is awesome! thanks in advance everyone.

I do believe all kitchens are on 20 amp circuits with 12/2 wiring instead of regular 15 amp 14/2 romex. Pretty sure that is code in most places. Also with GFCI outlets.

Oh and the general consensus is to leave the cover off. You need that steam to escape to boil off DMS and also to allow the volume to come down to hit gravity numbers.

I do believe all kitchens are on 20 amp circuits with 12/2 wiring instead of regular 15 amp 14/2 romex. Pretty sure that is code in most places. Also with GFCI outlets.

Thanks. I just realized that I wasn't using one of the GFCI outlets but instead an outlet on the far outside wall of the kitchen. thanks I plug into GFCI instead.

Do you have the parts list and/or instructions how to add the temp probe?

Quite simple. Obtain a 3/8" brass tee, a 3/8" close nipple and a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer. (Home depot or Lowes carry them.) And a 2" probe thermometer like the ones used on Mash kettles which are normally 1/2" NPT. Disconnect the hose and connect the nipple in place and attach the tee and then attach the reducer to the thermometer and then to the outlet on the tee and reconnect the hose. Of course, use teflon tape on all connections.

outlet flow
nipple
tee reducer thermometer
hose

PSV0rpHrdrJZBVYwJINbRyc8oug2zdvRIFsjf9ak0EY

Thanks. I just realized that I wasn't using one of the GFCI outlets but instead an outlet on the far outside wall of the kitchen. thanks I plug into GFCI instead.

Manually trip the gfci breaker using the button on the outlet and check other outlets. Most likely if the outlet is in the kitchen, its on the same circuit and is protected. Can't remember but seems like 4 outlets are allowed to be chained to one gfci receptacle. Easy way to check which outlets are covered by the gfci.

I relocated to Austin the first week of August and ordered the GF to be delivered a couple of days after I moved in to my place. To date, I've brewed 7 batches; stouts and Irish Reds. Before coming to Austin, I was doing everything on the stove using extracts and steeping grains and then fermenting in buckets followed by bottling. Now, I've got the GF, 3 FastFermenters and a 3-tap kegerator complete with a stout faucet hooked to nitro! A big upgrade all around!

My two comments about "cons" would be that the unit clogs too easily and that one needs to be "in the moment" and NOT turn on the pump instead of turning off the temp! I was at the end of the boil a couple of weeks ago and went to flip the temp off; instead, I turned on the pump and created a geyser of boiling wort that shot past my face on its way to the ceiling! Disaster narrowly averted!!!

Ohhhhhhhh...I won a GrainCoat from their giveaway on facebook last week too! Pics to follow!

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

Sweet! I too have 3 FastFerment but all set in one big cooler...just a bit hotter down here :)
I always keep the recirc arm on the pump outlet...a mistake on the switch means it will go to the floor instead of my face:p

It's hot as balls in Austin too but I keep my place at a crisp 67-69 which works for my fermentation temps!!!

I need to get in the habit of closing the valve when I'm not recirculating or do what you are doing!

I was looking at those fast fermenters. How do they compare with regular bucket fermenters? They do look rather large so I wouldn't be able to use them in my fermenting chamber.

Fantastic!! I looked at the fast ferment but opted for a SS Brew Bucket and love it!! Far better than carboys and stainless to boot. It also fits inside my cool brewing fermentation bag. (If you don't have one, look into it! My temps held steady at 68 then dropped to 64 and then to 50! )

I was looking at those fast fermenters. How do they compare with regular bucket fermenters? They do look rather large so I wouldn't be able to use them in my fermenting chamber.

I love them! No transferring to secondaries or separate buckets to bottle (if bottling). I'm able to ferment in the same vessel the entire duration without ever having to disturb the brew. I can get the dimensions this evening.

It is 39" tall including the airlock :) that is on the stand. I measured because I was almost going to get one. It won't fit my cool brewing cooler. The idea and concept seems awesome! Especially racking and harvesting! Someday I will end up with a chronical.

It is 39" tall including the airlock :) that is on the stand. I measured because I was almost going to get one. It won't fit my cool brewing cooler. The idea and concept seems awesome! Especially racking and harvesting! Someday I will end up with a chronical.

I'm with you there! As much as I love my SS BrewBucket I wish I had opted for the 7g SS Chronical. BTW the FTSs fermentation temp control kicks ass.

Yeah? I'm thinking one day I will have the 7 gallon chronical with FTS and just use the Brew Bucket as a secondary. I just don't see spending the 250$ for FTS on the BB as I have the cool brew. With the FTS, if I have it correctly, you supply the cooler and just add ice jugs in a water bath? And just swap the ice jugs daily?

Yeah? I'm thinking one day I will have the 7 gallon chronical with FTS and just use the Brew Bucket as a secondary. I just don't see spending the 250$ for FTS on the BB as I have the cool brew. With the FTS, if I have it correctly, you supply the cooler and just add ice jugs in a water bath? And just swap the ice jugs daily?

yup, you got it! I can show a pic of my setup if you like.

39" height, huh? How about the width of the footprint? See if I can get two side by side like I do with the big mouth bubblers I currently use. I'll have to take some measurements.

As for the clogging issue. I haven't had the GF clog once, but I don't really like the way I have been going about it. I am using a hop spider setup, better than a sock I suppose.

As for the clogging issue. I haven't had the GF clog once, but I don't really like the way I have been going about it. I am using a hop spider setup, better than a sock I suppose.

Has anyone just used a hopsock? Its always worked well for me while BIAB so it seems like it would work just fine with the Grainfather...

Also, did everyone see Ss now has mini brewbuckets? 3.5 gallon... I'm getting one..would be perfect for my 2.5 gallon batches.

Always in for pics!! Haha yessir! Post up!

I believe it was like 15-18 inches wide on the conical. Wider at the bottom of the base.

Cool! not to hijack this too much, here's my GF heating up to mash and mashing. I've been doing 90 min mash. Yep brewing tonight. What the heck I said, I got nothing to do the next 6 hours. :)

img_05601-66416.jpg

img_05611-66417.jpg

img_05511-66411.jpg

img_05541-66412.jpg

img_05551-66413.jpg

img_05571-66414.jpg

img_05581-66415.jpg

my hop filter - works great! I can add some other pics of it during and after the boil since I'm doing it right now.

img_0562-66418.jpg

Latest posts

Back