Grainfather Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglySister

Reaction score
I have few questions,
If the recipe calls far a dual temp mash, say 30 min @130° then 60min @ 150°, it takes the Grainfather some time to increase 20°. Should it still be 90 min total or 30 minutes at lower temp, then heat to higher temp before starting timer for additional 60 min? (I am using the original controller not the new smart one)
Also I think I am sparging wrong. I have sparged every batch with the sparge water at mash temp. I've since noticed that recipes on the Grainfather app are sparging at 167°. What should I be doing? All my recipes so far have been from the 200 clones book and it does not specify sparging temp.

The lower temperature is a protein rest and the recipe is old as most modern malts don't require a protein rest. You can do one if you want or skip it with similar results. The rest times are how long the mash stays at that temperature, not the total time. It takes time for the enzymes to work and they work at a specific temperature.

The sparge water temp is not critical. You can sparge with cool water or hot water with pretty near the same amount of sugars collected. The major difference is in the amount of time it takes to bring the wort to boil.

So, are you saying I could just do the 150 Deg for 60 Minutes?

Back