Grainfather power adapter/supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
Uuuggggh wtf! I bought Grainfather G40 knowing it was a kiwi product- however never realized it comes with a kiwi power plug!!!

what do I do? I’ve talked to a few people and they’ve mentioned getting the adapters and then setting up the electrical panel to deliver 220 volts to a specific socket- sounds like a god damn headache!!!!!!

is that truly my only option? Should I send it back in favor of a different system?

what do I do? I’m totally clueless with electric stuff.

Thank you

If the unit has a heater intended for 240V then yep, rewiring is the best, and proper, option. Cut the current plug and wire an "American" style plug instead, and then have an outlet to match.

Do you have any 240V already in existence? Clothes dryer for example? Stove? You might be a step closer than you think.

Are you sure it's a kiwi plug or is it this?
931604E9-C52E-4D2B-B35D-E16E6ABADB06.jpeg

This is what the american g40 should come with, it is a nema6-15r. G40 can't plug into a regular outlet, it needs one of these (is used for wall mounted ac units on a dedic 240v line), dryer receptacles or stove receptacles as it runs 240v not 120v.

I had the same sitiuation, to make it easier, I decided to set up my G40 next to the electric panel in the basement. It turned out my panel was full, so i bought a few mini breakers and a 240v breaker and ran it 6 feet to a nema 6-20

Straight from the GF40 site below. It has Standard US plug. If it has a NZ or UK or other plug, it is wrong model. If a product is sold in the US that is electric, it has to have a standard US plug or outlet on it per Federal regulation. If you don't anything about electrical items, hire an electrician

Grainfather G40 Brewing System has a bigger capacity and better connectivity. Produce up to 10 US Gal of beer from one brew and connect your mobile device to the smart controller with built-in wireless control via the Grainfather App, for step-by-step brewing and access to bazillions of recipes.

Please note - this system comes standard with a NEMA 6-15P plug, and requires access to a 220v-240v power supply.

you need 240v to run the g40 so you either need to get a dedicated receptacle installed or use an existing electric dryer or oven receptacle. you don't need to cut the cord and wire on a new plug, they make adapter cords to go from one configuration to another. below works with a modern electric clothes dryer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORK...Volt-T-Blade-Connector-S1430620-012/303873834
1642187751356.png

there are multiple adapter cord configurations out there, need to know what you plan on plugging it into to ensure you get the right type.

Last edited:
Right, had assumed it was actually a foreign plug but maybe not. Need to know what it actually looks like.

If OP returns, that is. Maybe already figured it out.

Judging by his now having a thread asking for help with an s40, it looks like he didn’t bother checking replies (or decided he couldn't be bothered brewing at a 240 putlet or getting electrical work done) and returned the unit for a 120v s40.

just to clarify for @Brewdog80 you misinterpreted the quote you gave, It is not a standard US plug, it is a nema 6-15. Nema 1-15 (2 prong) and 5-15 (3 prong) are the two US 120v standard plugs. The line you quoted is using the word standard to indicate which plug comes by default with a US g40 system, not saying that it is itself the US “standard”…

I found an adapter on Amazon to plug the G40 in to a receptacle I had installed for a BrewEasy system.
Also, not a bad idea to have a GFCI breaker if you are doing the electrical work anyway. I have seen GFCI pigtails as well but they were a little pricey.
I have done 3 brews on the G40 since I got it and so far, I'm loving it.

Back