Grainfather owners: sell me on the GF over the Robobrew, Mash & Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wallet is a powerful thing! I just made a similar decision and bought the Gigawort (5 gal.) as I'm currently doing BIAB. I stumbled across the Robobrew a few days ago and like the larger size and the grain basket feature but not for an extra $100. both look like they are made by the same company. So far (2 brews) I've been very happy with the Gigawort at maintaining temperatures.
If money wasn't an option? Sure, I'd probably go with the GF because of the features (pump, etc) but bang for the buck...go with the Robobrew.
YMMV

I just recently purchased the Clawhammer Supply setup. The main selling point was that if something breaks, and it will eventually, i can easily find replacement parts and nothing is proprietary. Just my .02

You get what you pay for.
I have had complaints from people that bought a Robobrew (not from me). I have had none from people that bought Grainfathers.

There are other comparable systems like brew boss, which is what I bought.

It heats faster, can do bigger batches, you don’t need an additional piece to heat sparge water and I like the automated system brew boss offers better

But that’s me

GF every time, all these systems are supposed to be floor standing. Do you what to be on your hands and knees to get to the controls?

Have mercy on the Knees!!!

aamcle

That’s what tables are for

I’ve used GF before and it lacks in certain areas, heating quickness, doesn’t really get a good rollout g boil, and you need an additional sparge equipment

There are other comparable systems like brew boss, which is what I bought.

It heats faster, can do bigger batches, you don’t need an additional piece to heat sparge water and I like the automated system brew boss offers better

But that’s me

I don't need a 15 gallon system. I do 2.5 to 5 gallon batches; can't drink it fast enough otherwise. Looks great, though!

I have absolutely no beefs with my GF. I have a Graincoat on mine so the rolling boil isn't a problem. I have to admit that I do have a Kal clone that I built complete with full 30a panel and 3 - 20 gallon kettles. I still use my GF the majority of the time since I can do it in the kitchen, cleanup is a breeze, and brewing is fun again, whereas my Kal rig takes some serious effort to brew 15 gallon batches and clean thoroughly. The cheaper units look just that to me...cheaper. I can't say for sure since I've never used one. HTH.

Back