grain type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I was going to brew tomorrow an amber ale tomorrow and I don't have any Caramel malt-40L but I have Crystal 75L. Would this be a good substitute for the caramel ?

AG Amber ale
9lbs British 2 row pale malt
12 oz caramel malt
4 oz roasted barley
4 oz special malt B
1 oz fuggle
1 oz cascade

any help much appreciated
Slainte

I often substitute different crystals and caramels which are pretty close to the same thing. If using C-75 instead of Caramel 40 I would use about half as much. I have made a lot of recipes what I used the chart I linked previously to substitute something similar. If you change, it will most likely be good, just not exactly the same as the recipe.

There's 2 things the caramel malts add, color and flavor. When substituting, you could theoretically achieve the same color by using less of a darker malt or more of a lighter one. This will NOT however produce the same flavor. If you want a recipe with C40 to taste the same as with C75, you'll have to use more like 2/3 or 3/4 the amount, and accept that it will be darker in color. It also won't taste quite the same, as the flavors are DIFFERENT, not just more or less intense. I personally value beer flavor more than appearance, so I'd use about 2/3 the amount of C75 if replacing C40. It'll be a little darker, but closer to the original recipe flavor. It may even be better!! ;-)

Demus said:
There's 2 things the caramel malts add, color and flavor. When substituting, you could theoretically achieve the same color by using less of a darker malt or more of a lighter one. This will NOT however produce the same flavor. If you want a recipe with C40 to taste the same as with C75, you'll have to use more like 2/3 or 3/4 the amount, and accept that it will be darker in color. It also won't taste quite the same, as the flavors are DIFFERENT, not just more or less intense. I personally value beer flavor more than appearance, so I'd use about 2/3 the amount of C75 if replacing C40. It'll be a little darker, but closer to the original recipe flavor. It may even be better!! ;-)

I hear ya, suppose I could drive the hour to the local home brew store but I have the C-75l so I think I'll use it as per your suggestion.
It's the first time brewing this amber ale. If it turns out great maybe I'll brew it again with the 40-L. Just for comparison
Slainte

Just re-read your recipe. 12 oz of C40 is fairly subtle in a 5 gallon batch anyway. Use 10 of C75 and you'll be fine. ...

Just re-read your recipe. 12 oz of C40 is fairly subtle in a 5 gallon batch anyway. Use 10 of C75 and you'll be fine. ...

Yes and Yes

Latest posts

Back