Grain to glass in 2 weeks suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about an English ordinary bitter. You would have a 1.032 or so og and be a fairly quick ferment. I would suggest either wlp002 or wyeast 1968 though with 1968 you would need to male a starter which would eat up 2 days of that time.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Just reporting back in after all is said and done. The party went great!

In the end I made a dry stout and a blonde ale. Both were around the 4.5ABV mark, probably just a bit under. I added 2 c of cold brewed coffee to the stout at kegging.

The results were mixed. The stout was really great and a big hit. The blonde ale just was not ready at all. It ended up too bitter and even thin. In the end I didn't even serve it (I've got a reputation to protect;)). I think it will settle down in another week in the keg.

I followed a lot of process suggestions from here and other threads like Yuri Rages "Aging Beer: Myths, Facts...":

• low abv
  • ferment mid 60s then raise it at the end.
  • pitch lots of yeast - used a 11g packet each batch which is plenty for a 4.5ABV beer
  • cold crash
  • force carb - hit it with 30 psi for 2 days then purge and down to 10psi

I think the big difference and my lesson learned is that strong flavours from roasted malts and maybe coffee can hide some of the green in the beer. The Blonde was nothing but 2 row and light cara malt. Bare boned and when it wasn't ready there was nothing to hide behind.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I hope others learn too.

Back