Grain storing question - bag or jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zabuza

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a photo of one bag of the copious amounts of grain Northern Brewer sent me:

image-3069705921.jpg

With virtually all of it (crushed and not crushed), they packaged it in one pound increments and in these "ziplock" bags with virtually no headspace. W2G NB! There are a few sacks of grain I got, though, so I'm about to go get containers. The question is this: for the grain that's in those nice, sealed, minimal air containing bags, should I leave them in the bags for storage or get jars and put them in the jars? They did such a good job with squeezing all the air out I'm thinking it might be best just to leave it in the bags - there'll be less air than if I transferred it into a jar. On the other hand, it seems as though air might permeate the bag, but would obviously never permeate the jar...what should I do?

Leave it in the bag, if you use a portion and have left overs press out air and re-seal. You don't have to get crazy with the removal of the air either.

Back