Grain storage problem at the LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salty_dog_68

Reaction score
I have a tannin problem. I am new to al grain brewing but I did do partial mashes for a year before jumping to all grain. I did not notice a tannin(chalky aftertaste) problem in my partial mashes but I have recently made the switch to all grain. My first two all grain batches turn out well( basic APA), however, now my last three batches have a tannic aftertaste. I assumed I was over sparging and got my pH and/or specific gravity out of whack(I was monitoring and recording the pH of the mash but not the batch sparge). A few weeks ago I went to a different LHBS because my usual shop was closed. I cracked open my first IPA today that I made with grain from the "other" shop which is more busy. No tannic aftertaste! I did not change my sparge technique for this batch because I didn't know I was having a problem until to late. So, my question is...is it possible that improper grain storage at my usual LHBS is causing the tannins in my beer? (And that the fresher/properly stored grain at he "other" LHBS made better beer) or did I just get lucky with this particular batch?

The object of life is not to arrive at the grave intact and with a well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, beaten up and broken down, screaming, "holy ****! What a ride!"

I don't know that I would call tannin flavors "chalky". Tannins are somewhat harsh and astrigent, and usually have a grape skin or tea leaf like flavor.

Causes of tannin extraction are usually related to pH (both in the mash and sparge), temperature, and possible, but highly unlikely, the grain crush.

Old, stale, grains can lead to oxidized flavors, and I believe even astrigent flavors with darker grains.

In what ways, if any, do you think your normal LHBS does not store their grains properly?

I was thinking along the line of what you mentioned. Just old and/or stale grains. Located in Florida, the temperature at which things are stored is always a concern also. Probably just a coincidence that my beer turned out better when the grain was purchased at a busier store with faster stock turnover. I still don't have consistency in my brewing process and the tannin extraction is likely operator I error.

The object of life is not to arrive at the grave intact and with a well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, beaten up and broken down, screaming, "holy ****! What a ride!"

I've heard tannin and chalky used together before, but typically a tannic 'flavor' is more characterized by a puckering reaction, followed by a perception of dryness on the tongue that won't slip off.

If it is tannins you taste, and if you are having the store crush your grains, there is indeed a possible connection, but it's more likely to be related to crush than age of grain. Old grains just taste less 'fresh', and there's less brightness to the flavor.

Back