Grain Storage Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
I've recently been fortunate enough to build a brewhouse in the back of my property with an electric brewery style setup and a couple of temp controlled fridges / freezers for fermentation. The place isn't insulated well and the little AC unit can't keep up in the Mississippi heat.

I'm currently buying crushed grain from my local HBS. Great situation but would love to be able to brew more spontaneously. My options to store grain are either in one of the freezers at whatever temp I set it to or in the heat which can be above 100F for months at a time. I've heard there are mold issues in a freezer but i think the outside environment would be a disaster Which one is better or should I just plan ahead and get crushed grain a few days before?

You also need a way to deter kritters from looking for grain. They are a pain. If you don't have a good way of keeping room temperature grains and kritters out id buy just a few days before you want to brew.

Or buy a little larger grain amounts so you have the option to brew whenever but go through it quickly.

My lhbs doesn't have an air conditioner in the storehouse where summers are 100+. I haven't noticed any problems with their grains after milling. They use large pet food containers with screw tops.

I use a few vittles vaults and some buckets with Gamma liids for my grain storage. Works perfect for me. Vittles vaults are pretty expensive but work great. Food grade buckets are available at Lowe's as are the gamma seal lids.

Think about it. Grain gets harvested once per year. It is stored in bulk in some pretty rough conditions. If you store it in good airtight containers to keep out the bugs and humidy. you should be good. Having a mill and enough grain, yeast and hops in stock is great for spontaneous brew days. It also helps you get more consistant efficiency. I have my mill dialed in to get the efficiency I want and hit it within a point almost every time.

My brew area is in my attached garage. It is insulated but not heated/cooled. I use vittle vaults for my base grains. For specialty grains that sometimes will be around for a while, I vacuum seal and store in a fridge.

I live in North Texas where the Summer temperatures goes above 100 degrees at least 20 times each year and July and August average above 90. I don't worry about the heat because there are a lot of multi story grain silos used by grain companies in the area. They store grains in the sweltering heat as well as below freezing. I've noticed no change in the efficiency or taste of my beers after storing my uncrushed grains in the Summer heat in my non air conditioned garage. The advice about a way to keep the critters out should be heeded.

I live in North Texas where the Summer temperatures goes above 100 degrees at least 20 times each year and July and August average above 90. I don't worry about the heat because there are a lot of multi story grain silos used by grain companies in the area. They store grains in the sweltering heat as well as below freezing. I've noticed no change in the efficiency or taste of my beers after storing my uncrushed grains in the Summer heat in my non air conditioned garage. The advice about a way to keep the critters out should be heeded.

Good to know. I'm in Plano and have hesitated on buying bulk grain because it would live in the garage. If your not having any issues might have to look into that more.

Long as your grains are stored in an airtight container heat and humidity will not be an issue. If you are worried about moisture you can bring the grain indoors into an air conditioned space for a week to breathe then seal.

Back