Grain Storage Container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thePudwhack

Reaction score
Just picked this up at Walmart the other day.

3006458961_af0ef73718.jpg

All 50 lbs of Malt fit nicely. It's a 50 qt container and the label said it would hold 50 lbs of bird seed. As you can see, there's room to spare.

3006459047_e9dbd636ac.jpg

It was a little pricey, ~$17, but it has casters, an airtight lid, and great capacity, so I think it's worth it.

That's nice! I bought 2 5 gallon orange buckets from home depot with lids with the rubber washer for sealing. It holds more than 50 lbs but I think it cost me a total of $20. I wish I had the idea to check walmart or the pet store.

:tank:

That's nice! I bought 2 5 gallon orange buckets from home depot with lids with the rubber washer for sealing. It holds more than 50 lbs but I think it cost me a total of $20. I wish I had the idea to check walmart or the pet store.

I just picked up three orange Homer buckets last Saturday they were if I recall 2.78 each and the lids were .98 cents.Anyways it was around 12 $ for the three after tax. Can there really that much difference in price from store to store?

I just picked up three orange Homer buckets last Saturday they were if I recall 2.78 each and the lids were .98 cents.Anyways it was around 12 $ for the three after tax. Can there really that much difference in price from store to store?
They just went on sale (for about $4 for bucket and lid) around a month ago. Devaspawn didn't say how long ago he bought his.

I bought a couple of those earlier this year when they were $14, but I recently bought another one and it was up to $17 at my local walmart as well. They've worked great for me so far.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/storing-grain-52115/index2.html#post560889

Nice thread, thanks for sharin. I especially like those sexy twins in the photos, the bags AND the containers. :rockin: This was my first 50 pounder so I went with the pricier Organic Briess from Midwest. I'll have to go with Rahr next time.

I had no idea the Homer buckets were so cheap. They're listed for $2.78 each in SE Florida (sometimes more expensive). What are you guys using for lids? What department? Any pictures? Does it if they're food grade? I'm guessing you can stack these, right?

Nice thread, thanks for sharin. I especially like those sexy twins in the photos, the bags AND the containers. :rockin: This was my first 50 pounder so I went with the pricier Organic Briess from Midwest. I'll have to go with Rahr next time.

I had no idea the Homer buckets were so cheap. They're listed for $2.78 each in SE Florida (sometimes more expensive). What are you guys using for lids? What department? Any pictures? Does it if they're food grade? I'm guessing you can stack these, right?

The lids are in the paint department they have an o ring for sealing. They are #2 HDPE so they are the same as an Ale pail.They stack very nicely but I wouldn't stack too many ,specially filled with grain. I am going to buy a few more tonight on my way home.

I bought them a few months and the buckets were $6 and the lids with the o-rings were $4

I don't know if these are a local thing only but my HBS uses them for bulk grains. They carry around 20# of uncrushed grains and about 14 once they are crushed. I have left crushed grains in them for up to 2 weeks and still gotten very good results. Oh the best part is the HBS gave both of these to me. Probably cheaper than continually giving out paper bags since I keep reusing the same 2 containers.

P2060015Small.jpg

P2060017Small.jpg

I vacuum seal into bags a brewing buddy gave me so I don't use containers, but if I did, I would get some plastic containers from my local ice cream parlor that they keep hard ice cream in. I got 5 or 6 recently with covers and they were FREE. I probably could get as many as I want provided they had them, but there are only so many I really need.
These plastic containers are 12 litre and I use them to keep berrys in and if I do an crush the night before brewing, I'll keep the grist in there.

I bought them a few months and the buckets were $6 and the lids with the o-rings were $4

wonder why they did such a drastic price reduction. Maybe getting a different jobber and the new ones look different? Just like when they went from Gott to Rubbermade for the 5 and 10 gallon drink coolers. I picked up a couple for 16 $ each

Back