Grain Prices going up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowcreekWI

Reaction score
My usual online supply source raised some of AG kit prices 50%, citing poor conditions for the Montana barley harvest. After some google research looks like the Canadian harvest was good so maybe it is just a blip.

50% ???? That's scary for sure.

However, even with a 50% raise I bet you Americans still pay 50% less than us Canadians !

The domestic barley harvest was terrible, but a 50% increase in price is not warranted.

After some research, it seems that Alberta's harvest isn't too good either this year (smallest crop since 1968)

I think i'll stock up some 2-row

IDK. Sounds like a story... Price gouging if true. I doubt the price of malts rose that much.

A quick look at Northern Brewer - the prices seem to be pretty much the same as they have been.

I heard that barley in both MT and ID was hit by floods at harvest time.

Sort of, they were hit by a ton of rain and the barley started sprouting in the field. Affected some parts of southern canada as well. But there was a bumper crop in 2013 that is still holding the prices steady. It's expected to go up starting in January.

NB's DeadRinger AG was $25.45 in August (no yeast or priming sugar) same is $37.45 now. I did contact them and they said they would review

Given that it wasn't a total crop loss and that while the states hit produce a lot of the nations barley, they don't produce 50% of it, I think that's probably bull.

NB's DeadRinger AG was $25.45 in August (no yeast or priming sugar) same is $37.45 now. I did contact them and they said they would review

I saw the same thing today. Looks like they've raised all of their kit prices as well as some of the grain prices. Some all grain kits I bought over the last few months are now $2-3 higher. A pound of Rahr 2 row is now $1.49 vs 1.29. Sounds like an overall price hike.

That's price-gouging. The new grain isn't even in the distribution system yet, I doubt their wholesale costs have gone up yet.

Harvests and quality in the U.S. and Canadian barley regions was poor, but the prices of all grains are being sucked down with the price of corn. Price to our family farm on wheat has gone from $7 or $8 per bu to $4 or $5, barley has gone from over $6 to $3 per bu. There will be a shortage of quality grain but prices world wide have tanked. The newest US farm bill is giving producers minimum price protection, which isn't something that was really talked about in the last 3 or 4 years.

Keep in mind that aside form the cost of the grain there are also the hops used, yeast provided as well as the packaging and labor. My guess is the higher price is more due to labor, packaging and hops than the grain itself:)

Back