Grain Mill Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deric

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a JSP Malt Mill I bought new close to 30 years ago. It's worked GREAT all these years and STILL works great milling grain for my 3V HERMS setup. Recently been brewing small batches in a full volume BIAB setup. I've had the mill gap set ~.030" give or take. Tried to tighten it up for BIAB (trying to get close to .020") and realized it's already as tight as it will go. Looked up the old JSP site and it lists the nominal gap at .045". So... was considering getting a new mill for the bigger batches and retiring the JSP to small batch BIAB but looks like that is not going to work.

Suggestions/recommendations for a 2 or 3 roller mill for once to twice a month use that has minimum gap of .020" (or smaller) that won't break the bank? Needs to be compatible with a hand drill.

Edit to add: would prefer gears and ball bearings.

Thanks
:mug:

I started with a Corona but upgraded to a JSP Malt Mill also. I still use the Corona for raw wheat and raw spelt. Crushing malt with a tight a gap (like 0.020") will produce a lot of flour. When you start working with flour, you're getting into the TURBID MASHING realm which requires a whole different set of procedures developed by Belgian Brewers. It isn't just mashing and sparging, but they developed special kettles (chain coppers) just to deal with the sludge from the flour. It is a slippery slope you're running toward! I highly recommend that you study the perceived problem before investing any more time and money in what I deem to be a fool's errand.

Love my Crankandstein 3GT - Geared 3 roller. Indexed gap adjustments of 0.005" down to .025" so setting the gap is super easy. Don is awesome and his customer service is 2nd to none.

Highly recommend

I started with a Corona but upgraded to a JSP Malt Mill also. I still use the Corona for raw wheat and raw spelt. Crushing malt with a tight a gap (like 0.020") will produce a lot of flour. When you start working with flour, you're getting into the TURBID MASHING realm which requires a whole different set of procedures developed by Belgian Brewers. It isn't just mashing and sparging, but they developed special kettles (chain coppers) just to deal with the sludge from the flour. It is a slippery slope you're running toward! I highly recommend that you study the perceived problem before investing any more time and money in what I deem to be a fool's errand.

I thought the same thing, never would have imagined going tighter than .030" but I see lots of people here suggesting .020" to .025". I know BrewHardware uses .020" for their BIAB crush. Might just have to order a batch from @Bobby_M and try it out.

I have a Monster Mill geared 3-roller mill, motorized with a All American Ale Works 1/2HP motor. The mill setting can be precisely set with a feeler gauge (for me, eBIAB, milled at 0.030"). MM3G is definitely on pricier side, but you get what you pay for. This mill delivers.

I have a JSP Malt Mill I bought new close to 30 years ago. It's worked GREAT all these years and STILL works great milling grain for my 3V HERMS setup. Recently been brewing small batches in a full volume BIAB setup. I've had the mill gap set ~.030" give or take. Tried to tighten it up for BIAB (trying to get close to .020") and realized it's already as tight as it will go. Looked up the old JSP site and it lists the nominal gap at .045". So... was considering getting a new mill for the bigger batches and retiring the JSP to small batch BIAB but looks like that is not going to work.

Suggestions/recommendations for a 2 or 3 roller mill for once to twice a month use that has minimum gap of .020" (or smaller) that won't break the bank? Needs to be compatible with a hand drill.

Edit to add: would prefer gears and ball bearings.

Thanks

I had a JSP for 20 yrs. I told myself it was fine, but there were issues with the knurl grabbing the grain, the thing falling apart because of the poor construction, etc.

I finally got one of the mills below, and it's the shìt. I love it. We'll see if I still love it 20 yrs from now. Easy to adjust the gap, hex to grab the drill chuck, geared to ensure the rollers are in agreement with what I'm doing.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/mighty-mill-3-roller-grain.html
1661220831413.png

1661220860597.png

My JSP has run flawless. I did drop it in 2015 and the base plate broke in half. Emailed jack and he said the mill had a lifetime warranty-sent me a new base plate for $10.00 shipping. I do have to tighten up the screws from time to time but it's easily milled a couple thousand pounds + of grain.

I was looking at the Monster, Mighty Mill and Malt Muncher 3 roller mills. The Monster and Mighty Mill are geared which I like but the minimum gap is .025". Looks like the Malt Muncher goes down to .0".

Anyone have experience with the Malt Muncher?

I usually say "pay more the first time rather than buying better later," but I went on the cheap 3 years ago and bought a Cereal Killer. It has been fantastic! I keep the gap set at .035, use a drill, and get get a perfect crush every time.

I usually say "pay more the first time rather than buying better later," but I went on the cheap 3 years ago and bought a Cereal Killer. It has been fantastic! I keep the gap set at .035, use a drill, and get get a perfect crush every time.
Ditto...
Used to have my grain milled by the folks at the LHBS with an expensive 3 roller mill. Found out our brewing club here buys Rahr (and other brands as well) 2 row grain in bulk (50 pound bags for under $50) so I needed a grinder. Found an old two roller Barley Crusher (looks exactly like the Cereal Killer) I bought on OfferUp for $20. Set the gap the thickness of a credit card and drive it with an old Ryobi corded drill. Conversion efficiency went up and without all the bells and whistles.

I had a JSP for 20 yrs. I told myself it was fine, but there were issues with the knurl grabbing the grain, the thing falling apart because of the poor construction, etc.

I finally got one of the mills below, and it's the shìt. I love it. We'll see if I still love it 20 yrs from now. Easy to adjust the gap, hex to grab the drill chuck, geared to ensure the rollers are in agreement with what I'm doing.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/mighty-mill-3-roller-grain.html
View attachment 778581

View attachment 778582
I have this same mill and love it! Super easy to adjust, and I just blow it out with compressed air to clean. Watch MoreBeer's sales as this comes up from time to time (how I purchased mine).

It is a bit pricey, but has anyone used or bought the new SS Brewtech motorized mill?
I just got one, it was my anniversary gift actually. Milled with it for thr first time on Sunday. I love it, easy adjustments and the crush is great. I do 15 gallon batches and I crushed 30lbs of 2row, 2lbs of honey malt, and 2 lbs of carapils, switched the gap in a matter of seconds to run the malted oats through, switched again for the white wheat. I previously had a basic 2 roller that I rigged an electric motor from a dryer to, it worked but the gap wasn't fine enough for malted oats or white wheat. I brewed an exact same grain bill as a batch I did in May and got an extra 4 gravity points, and I dont even have it dialed in yet. The thing is a beast, but it is pricey and probably overkill for a lot of homebrewers. I love the small footprint and it's so simple to use. Not a single complaint from me.

I have a Barley Crusher and it works well, had it for about 3 years, maybe 500-600lbs through it. I like the features shown above by @passedpawn. A hex end would be nice to have as about a half or a third of the time I will need to readjust the chuck at startup to prevent wobble. I don't keep my drill mounted on it. The knurled knob on mine can be difficult to adjust, needs a pair of channel locks (actually a slightly different version called robogrip, holds tighter). The dial on that Mighty Mill also is probably way easier.

I have a Barley Crusher and it works well, had it for about 3 years, maybe 500-600lbs through it. I like the features shown above by @passedpawn. A hex end would be nice to have as about a half or a third of the time I will need to readjust the chuck at startup to prevent wobble. I don't keep my drill mounted on it. The knurled knob on mine can be difficult to adjust, needs a pair of channel locks (actually a slightly different version called robogrip, holds tighter). The dial on that Mighty Mill also is probably way easier.

I payed $169 for that earlier this year. It was on sale.

I'm using a NB Hullwrecker set to the minimum crush width, and I get grist somewhere between flour and tiny granules. It works great in the BIAB scenario, and I always exceed what my software expects by a few points.

What kind of bearings does the Mighty Mill 3 have? Is the shaft flimsy? I've seen some mentions that a 3/8" shaft isn't big enough and they recommend 1/2"? Maybe that's overkill for home use no idea.

Any Canadian sources for it or is Morebeer.com the best source? This will probably only be about $100 more than a cereal killer.

I was looking at a geared and fluted roller unit but it's probably a little too expensive and not sure they ship from Australia or New Zealand.

Im really on the fence now with a grain mill, its the only thing thats lacking in my set up. But there is no middle ground for mills, its either cheap for 2-400 with using a drill or motirized for 8-1200. I dont mind paying for the ss brewtech mill but the uneven rollers does bother me quite a bit. I do mind paying for a blichmann because i dont want it taking up a hug amount of space either. I need a middle ground.

What kind of bearings does the Mighty Mill 3 have? Is the shaft flimsy? I've seen some mentions that a 3/8" shaft isn't big enough and they recommend 1/2"? Maybe that's overkill for home use no idea.

Any Canadian sources for it or is Morebeer.com the best source? This will probably only be about $100 more than a cereal killer.

I was looking at a geared and fluted roller unit but it's probably a little too expensive and not sure they ship from Australia or New Zealand.

Don't know about the bearings, but that thin-ish shaft is NOT a problem. It looked a little weak to me, but I've milled a fair amount of grain, no problem.

Anyone with the 3 Roller Mighty Mill willing to measure the minimum gap setting? The specs and markings go down to .025". For the money I'd like to go this route (even when not on sale) but my goal is to crush the s*&! out of the grain for BIAB AND use it for our 3VHERMS setup with a wider gap.

Considering stepping up to the 3 roller (non geared) Monster as it has a minimum gap of .00". Even the 2 roller is likely a step up from my Malt Mill.

Thanks

Edi to add:

Do you find the etched gap markings accurate? Would really like to easily change between gap settings.

Last edited:
Anyone with the 3 Roller Mighty Mill willing to measure the minimum gap setting? The specs and markings go down to .025". For the money I'd like to go this route (even when not on sale) but my goal is to crush the s*&! out of the grain for BIAB AND use it for our 3VHERMS setup with a wider gap.

Considering stepping up to the 3 roller (non geared) Monster as it has a minimum gap of .00". Even the 2 roller is likely a step up from my Malt Mill.

Thanks

Edi to add:

Do you find the etched gap markings accurate? Would really like to easily change between gap settings.
Since you want such different grain milling for each system, why not have 2 mills, one for your 3VHERMS that would give you a lesser crush and a cheap Corona to mill extra fine for your BIAB? You then probably could make use of a less expensive mill for the 3V HERMS too and have less invested in a compromise that still won't do what the Corona mill will for BIAB.

Thanks

Edi to add:

I'm brewing this weekend so I'll try to remember to check for you. It crushes pretty fine IMO as I tried a few settings to find my sweet spot. Never really measured, just looked at the crush until I found what I wanted.

Had a few beers the other night and pulled the trigger on the 3 Roller Mighty Mill.

Showed up today. First impressions... Feels nice. Heavy duty. Rollers spin freely.

Tried measuring the gap which is tough due to the design. Bent up a bunch of my feeler gauges to get them into the gap. At first I thought the gap was inconsistent... thought I might be returning it. After messing around a bit I determined the gap IS consistent but the measured markings are a bit off. When set to the same marking the gap is pretty dang close measured on each side but not necessarily the same measurement as the markings. I'm OK with that.

It does seem to get close to .02 when set to the tightest gap (.025 on the adjustment markings) so that's cool. Will try to run some grain thru it this weekend and see what I get.

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
Sorry I didn't get you the info, my company was just "acquired" by a competitor and I haven't been thinking straight for weeks. Haven't brewed yet either, but may do that this weekend.

@Konadog No worries! Hope you get a chance to brew soon!

Anyone here care to share the gap settings they are using (according to the marks on the mill) and the type of brewing they are doing (BIAB, mash in a cooler, HERMS etc)?

@Konadog No worries! Hope you get a chance to brew soon!

Anyone here care to share the gap settings they are using (according to the marks on the mill) and the type of brewing they are doing (BIAB, mash in a cooler, HERMS etc)?

I have been using a Hull Wrecker two roller with a Makita 6302 hand drill for the last year and a half.
I used a feeler gauge to adjust the rollers to .028" and use one pass milling - I am considering adjusting it to .025" just to see the results.
This seems to be working great for my BIAB mash.

Back