Grain mill not crushing weyermann malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassaholic

Reaction score
So I’ve had a Barley Crusher for about two years now. I’ve had a couple minor issues with it, but nothing that wasn’t easily fixable by readjusting the gap or cleaning the rollers. I recently purchased a sack of Weyermann Barke Pilsner and I’ve made 2 batches with it. Both times I tried to mill it the grain was barely crushed at my standard BIAB setting (.27) so I had to increase the mill gap, then switch it back and double mill. I ran a batch through between these and I had zero issues so I’m guessing it’s the grain. It does sort of crush the weyermann, but hardly anything comes through the rollers. Has anyone had similar issues?

That's weird, use Barke Pils all the time without a crush issue. I no longer have a Barley Crusher, but had no specific issues related to using it with that particular malt. I did have problems with the Barley Crusher itself where it would just stop milling, rollers would not spin...most of the time it was either grain wedging in between a roller and the side of the unit stopping it, or it would require a break down and clean before starting to work again. That's why I replaced it with a 3 roller mill.

That's weird, use Barke Pils all the time without a crush issue. I no longer have a Barley Crusher, but had no specific issues related to using it with that particular malt. I did have problems with the Barley Crusher itself where it would just stop milling, rollers would not spin...most of the time it was either grain wedging in between a roller and the side of the unit stopping it, or it would require a break down and clean before starting to work again. That's why I replaced it with a 3 roller mill.
That’s what’s so weird, the rollers were spinning and some grain was coming through and getting crushed. I’ve had the mill not catch before, but nothing would come through at all.

I did read through that thread, but my issue has only been with this one specific grain. It hasn’t been an issue with the same mill gap for other grain bills. I was just curious if anyone has experienced the same thing with that malt.

Have you got any other malted barley to compare your grains to? Might have been a cold or dry summer and they are just a bit smaller?
But otherwise not sure why I'm not familiar with that mill and only experience is with shop crush and latterly maltzilla.

The only grain that gives my JSP any issue is Carapils. It must be very hard or something, it just about stops the mill. I have to mix it with other malts to get it to go through.

Back