Grain fines in or out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

350_Malibu

Reaction score
I think I've made nearly 40+ extract batches since I started this hobby last December, and yesterday while making a nice Cream Stout something crossed my mind , and made me go 'hmmmm?'. Not sure if it's a NOOB question, or just something I haven't thought about yet.

When I pour my grains into the grain bag to get ready for steeping I always place the bag into a large bowl, then pour the grains into the bag. I always end up with a considerable amount of fines/dust particles that filter through the bag and remain in the bowl. Should these fines/dust be discarded or poured into to the water to steep with the rest of it? I always feel like I might be loosing some flavors by throwing them out.

If it is mostly flour and not husk material then use it. The more husk material that makes it to the boil, the more tannins and astringency you can potentially extract from it.

Back