Grain Dispensers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know where to find something like this for a "reasonable price"? I am toying with the idea of getting a few of these for grain storage.

2dee58393a.png

and i think the 'buzz word' you need to search for is 'dry food dispenser'

looks like there's plenty for about $30 a piece...

Not sure if they are airtight. I just recall the LHBS back north using these and I've seen others use. I thought maybe good for organization of grains. They do seem expensive though. Just trying to find a good source and price if it's such a thing.

Not sure if they are airtight. I just recall the LHBS back north using these and I've seen others use. I thought maybe good for organization of grains. They do seem expensive though. Just trying to find a good source and price if it's such a thing.

My former LHBS used a similar type of dispenser for storing specialty grains and filling containers in the retail self service area. All the base grains were kept in large covered bins.
It was nice to be able to weigh and mill your own grains but alas they closed (after 25 years) so now I buy in bulk & mill my grain at home.
I’ve found that either the white, 5 gal., food grade buckets and gamma lids are the easiest to use and cost effective. Lowe’s has the best prices, especially on the lids.
With bulk base grains now coming in 25 kilo bags I’ve gone to 6 gal buckets. The same lids fit. It takes two for a whole bag. Check out the “Survivalist” sites. They frequently have sales on 6 gal ford grade containers.

What price range were you hoping for?

My former LHBS used a similar type of dispenser for storing specialty grains and filling containers in the retail self service area. All the base grains were kept in large covered bins.
It was nice to be able to weigh and mill your own grains but alas they closed (after 25 years) so now I buy in bulk & mill my grain at home.
I’ve found that either the white, 5 gal., food grade buckets and gamma lids are the easiest to use and cost effective. Lowe’s has the best prices, especially on the lids.
With bulk base grains now coming in 25 kilo bags I’ve gone to 6 gal buckets. The same lids fit. It takes two for a whole bag. Check out the “Survivalist” sites. They frequently have sales on 6 gal ford grade containers.

My new LHBS just uses clear buckets. They aren't air tight containers but I guess they move grains fast enough that it doesn't matter. Do you have an example site for these 6 gallon containers? It currently takes 2 of my bigger buckets to 1 sack of grain (50 lbs).

What price range were you hoping for?

Well seeing as how these are showing up at $30 a piece, and I was thinking to grab maybe 10 different containers as a start to store my most used types of grains, I didn't want to spend $300 on containers. For now, I am using the white food save 5 gallon buckets from home depot for the base grains and the smaller (I think 2 gallon?) similar type buckets for some specialty grains. I might have spent under $100 for all of that when I got them all a couple years back, I can't remember the exact cost now.

7acb8d616c.jpg

I don't necessarily need these dispensers because I have a good place to store grain, but the buckets take up a lot of room and over time I look at ways to improve my process or equipment. I thought lining these up on a shelf somewhere would buy me a ton of floor space. If they are that expensive, I might buy them slowly or look for another solution.

I might just go the Walmart route. Thanks guys. As cool as those dispensers would look on the wall/shelf, I can still stack the grains in tupperware on the shelf and save a ton of floor space.

For larger amounts. A 5 gal bucket will hold 20-25 lbs of grain.

iai_502-3.jpg

For smaller quantities (a few pounds or less). Can get these at Walmart.
0070-07.jpg

you got me wanting to upgrade my little one's with those 0070-08....can't find them....

link or they don't sell them! :)

My new LHBS just uses clear buckets. They aren't air tight containers but I guess they move grains fast enough that it doesn't matter. Do you have an example site for these 6 gallon containers? It currently takes 2 of my bigger buckets to 1 sack of grain (50 lbs).

Well seeing as how these are showing up at $30 a piece, and I was thinking to grab maybe 10 different containers as a start to store my most used types of grains, I didn't want to spend $300 on containers. For now, I am using the white food save 5 gallon buckets from home depot for the base grains and the smaller (I think 2 gallon?) similar type buckets for some specialty grains. I might have spent under $100 for all of that when I got them all a couple years back, I can't remember the exact cost now.

7acb8d616c.jpg

I don't necessarily need these dispensers because I have a good place to store grain, but the buckets take up a lot of room and over time I look at ways to improve my process or equipment. I thought lining these up on a shelf somewhere would buy me a ton of floor space. If they are that expensive, I might buy them slowly or look for another solution.

Here are 5, 6 gallons with gamma lids from Amazon for $112.00 :
Bucket Kit, Five White 6-Gallon Buckets with White Gamma Seal Lids https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TOTS7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lrdFCbSQFSH08

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-1-Gal-Food-Storage-Canister-White/16408650

Edit: I don't recall them costing that much, though it's been a few years. They had them in the housewares dept. of my local store.

lol, probably cheaper at the store, they offer 'free' shipping on orders over $35...(you know, what back when i was a kid was called 'shipping included')

And Thanks for the link, next time i go grocery shopping, i'll go to the demon. And see if they have them... :mug:

Back