Grain Bill help - Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
I am working on a brown ale recipe for the fall months and want some advice with some of the specialty grains in my grain bill:

8.5 lbs Marris Otter 81%
1 lbs Crystal 60 9.5%
10 oz Special Roast 6%
6 oz Chocolate Malt 3.5%

Will this amount of Special Roast and Chocolate impart an overly roasty/burnt/bitter taste to the beer?

Here is the one I use and I love it:

5 lb Maris Otter
3.5 lb Pale 2 Row
.5 lb Aromatic
.5 lb Caramel (75L)
.25 lb Dark Chocolate

.5 oz Nugget @ 60 min

London ESB yeast

OG = 1.052
FG = 1.006
ABV = 6.04%

This is my go to brown ale during the fall & winter.

Close to mine, which I really love. Simple grain bill, turns out very well. A little bit hoppier, but not bad.

11 lb MO (84.6%)
1.5 lb C60 (11.5%)
.5 LB Chocolate (350 SRM) (3.8%)

1oz Northern Brewer @60
1oz Cascade @15
1oz Cascade @ flame-out

US-05

I've also done it with Centennial, reduced to .5 oz for each addition. I like that, too.

you have a few ways to go with american browns. a lot of commercial examples lean toward deriving the color from crystal malt and are basically very malty amber ales with a bit of chocolate. you can also go toward the toasty side where the crystal contribution is secondary, which i prefer. i have not tried the special roast but i really like using english brown malt, crystal80 and a touch of chocolate.

you also have a ice range in which to hop it....

Close to mine, which I really love. Simple grain bill, turns out very well. A little bit hoppier, but not bad.

11 lb MO (84.6%)
1.5 lb C60 (11.5%)

1oz Northern Brewer @60
1oz Cascade @15
1oz Cascade @ flame-out

US-05

I've also done it with Centennial, reduced to .5 oz for each addition. I like that, too.

I like the look of this recipe. Kind of like an in english/american hybrid with the MO and Cascade. If you don't mind I might use this when I brew a brown down the road.

I like the look of this recipe. Kind of like an in english/american hybrid with the MO and Cascade. If you don't mind I might use this when I brew a brown down the road.

Of course I don't mind--it's yours to experiment with. Now that you mention it, I was thinking of an American Brown Ale at the time. MO just seemed like a good fit for a brown.

Here is my brown recipe. I am pretty partial to it!

Yeast
Danstar Windsor Ale

Malt/Grain
9.0 lbs 2-row
12 oz Caramel 60L
8 oz Caramel 80L
4 oz Choc Malt
2 oz Black malt

Hops
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1.00 oz Hallertau (30 min)
1.00 oz Willamette (15 min)

Mash at 153* (60 min)
Mashout at 170* (10 min)

Boil OG-1.041
OG-1.053
FG-1.015
ABV-4.99%
SRM-21.56
IBU-38.45

11 lb MO (84.6%)
1.5 lb C60 (11.5%)

1oz Northern Brewer @60
1oz Cascade @15
1oz Cascade @ flame-out

US-05

I was thinking about hopping solely with Centennial because I have bunch of it hanging out in the freezer right now. Either that or using some leftover Northern Brewer and Perle. There are worse problems to have I suppose.

those are some great hop choices for a brown. i do about 40-45IBU with NB at 30, willamette at 15 and 10 and centennial and W in the dry hop. you could leave out the W and do all NB/centennial and have a great beer.

i've never used perle so i can't comment on that one.

I made this one a couple months ago and it matured to a great brown ale. I actually upped the victory malt from .5# to 1# because I wanted a bit more nuttiness.
🍻Nut Brown Ale
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.6 %

1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %

1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %

1.0 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %

0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.1 %

Centennial30 min1.00 oz10.4%Pellet Hop

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back