Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question regarding timing:

I have never made beer but I have made wine and cider so this one is a little out of my comfort zone.

I made this graff last Saturday following the recipe exactly. So today(6 days) I am having airlock activity at a rate of 1 per 10-11 seconds. I probably should not have but couldn't resist taking a sample and a gravity reading. It is 1.02 tonight.

Tasted pretty good but I was thinking it would have dropped a little more than this by now. It has been held to below 60 degrees during the fermentation.

Any thoughts to how long to leave it in the primary or what is the target FB?

Question regarding timing:

I have never made beer but I have made wine and cider so this one is a little out of my comfort zone.

I made this graff last Saturday following the recipe exactly. So today(6 days) I am having airlock activity at a rate of 1 per 10-11 seconds. I probably should not have but couldn't resist taking a sample and a gravity reading. It is 1.02 tonight.

Tasted pretty good but I was thinking it would have dropped a little more than this by now. It has been held to below 60 degrees during the fermentation.

Any thoughts to how long to leave it in the primary or what is the target FB?

What yeast are you using?
Below 60 is pretty low for most ale yeast. May need to warm it a tad.
Is that below 60 ambient or internal?

What yeast are you using?
Below 60 is pretty low for most ale yeast. May need to warm it a tad.
Is that below 60 ambient or internal?

Thanks. I am using Safale-05. The local brew store recommended to keep the temp between 50-60. Ambient temp is 70. I have it sitting in water and I have been added frozen bottles to keep the water temp between 50-60 so really it an estimate on the internal temp.

Let the current bottles melt and the temp rise and the yeast will finish up
05 is very forgiving of temperature, up past mid 70s
Upper 60s can be pretty clean.
If it is in the 50s, low 60s past primary fermentation, it's probably being stressd.
Most ale yeasts are happy in the mid-uppee 60s, fine up low 70s. Some are OK lower (kolsch).

Thanks for the advice. I will do that and hopefully post back positive results in a few days.

I made some mistakes but I bottled this a couple of days ago and after 3 days I put this in the fridge. I had a couple of them tonight and they are very good. Not quite as dry as I wanted but a very good beverage.

:mug:

I just brewed my second batch of this. The first was good but definitely a cider, not a beer. I am trying to inch this closer to being a beer. Here's my variation:

1lb wheat DME
1lb Light DME
8oz Crystal 120
8oz Honey Malt
2 oz torrified wheat
4oz Maltodextrin
just under .5oz centennial (I had it in the freezer)

I am pitching this on some washed Wyeast 3711 french Saison yeast

Should be interesting.

I have jumped on the band wagon and put the original recipe together.
2 lb dme (1 light and 1 amber)
.5 lb crystal 120
torrified wheat
.4 oz hops
musslemans juice
Notty yeast. (I really wanted S05)

so does anyone have a comparison of Notty to S05? all i had was notty and S04 on hand so went with the runner up suggestion.

I've got a variation of this in the primary now in need of bottling. Instead of going small and light, I went large and dark with 5 gallons at a starting gravity of 1.070 using a large starter of Safale S-04. Had to use a blowoff and the top fermenting yeast cap took forever to drop, unlike the krausen on my German dark wheat which only took two weeks to drop. The topic of a malted cider is interesting to me, but in the future, I think I'm going to go with a lighter brew with a lower gravity.

Just curious, has anyone tried making a beer and a cider separately,and then blending to taste at the end? Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier in the the thread. There's a lot of posts to read through! :)

Just curious, has anyone tried making a beer and a cider separately,and then blending to taste at the end? Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier in the the thread. There's a lot of posts to read through! :)

I have mixed a hefeweizen and a fermented cider 50/50. I actually preferred it to the the graff.

anyone ever use AUSTRALIAN GALAXY HOP PELLETS for this ? I wanted something with nice aroma but not to bitter, and this is what my LHBS gave me.

I just pitched the yeast on another batch of this. Only change on this batch was 2 oz of torrified wheat.

This makes me want to start kegging.

Last edited:
I'm only on page 225ish of this but my graff has been fermenting for 2 weeks. I haven't seen a very consistent consensus regarding clearing of the graff. Mine is nowhere near clear right now, and cider tends to take what it takes to clear.. an extra week, an extra month... you know. So how long does the Graff normally take to drop clear on its own?

It took a while, but mine cleared. I did cool the wort portion before adding to the juice. It took around a 4-5 weeks in the carboy for the yeast/protein/etc to drop. I suspect cold crashing or gelatin would have accelerated the process. I just poured a sample, and can read through the glass. Well as good as you can read through a tulip that distorts everything, and is condensing water out of the air like crazy.

As an aside, I've had this kegged for about 2 months now and it's really coming into it's own. The acidity originally present in the brew has softened a bit and is melding nicely.

I think this would be improved by slightly more sweetness. I'm thinking of adding a little honey malt or maybe using a medium English crystal malt next time.

Well guys, I've been making this with success most times but I really only have access to store bought juice. I feel like it needs some more body and substance. It is drinkable but I really wonder how it would taste with some fresh pressed juice..

Anyone have suggestions for improving store bought juice in terms of body and flavor?

Well guys, I've been making this with success most times but I really only have access to store bought juice. I feel like it needs some more body and substance. It is drinkable but I really wonder how it would taste with some fresh pressed juice..

Anyone have suggestions for improving store bought juice in terms of body and flavor?
I just started drinking my second variation. My goal was to add more body and to minimize the store bought cider bite. Complete success. I am thrilled with this version:
1lb wheat DME
1lb Light DME
8oz Crystal 120
8oz Honey Malt
2 oz torrified wheat
4oz Maltodextrin
just under .5oz centennial
4 gallons cheap apple juice
Wyeast 3711 saison yeast

I am really liking this drink. I still have some of my first batch and I am also drinking some of the 2nd. This will be a staple in my stable for some time.

I just brewed my second batch of this. The first was good but definitely a cider, not a beer. I am trying to inch this closer to being a beer. Here's my variation:

1lb wheat DME
1lb Light DME
8oz Crystal 120
8oz Honey Malt
2 oz torrified wheat
4oz Maltodextrin
just under .5oz centennial (I had it in the freezer)

I am pitching this on some washed Wyeast 3711 french Saison yeast

Should be interesting.

How did this turn out with Saison yeast? :mug:

How did this turn out with Saison yeast? :mug:

Before the beer cleared out, you could taste some saison flavor. It quickly faded, however. Between the Malto and the typical silky mouthfeel 3711 gives me, this beer had WAY more body and mouthfeel than the first batch. I would use 3711 in the future just for that. Made it feel like a beer.

Finally put some of this in my keezer. I DO like it better than apfelwein for sure. Much "smoother". Doesn't clear as well but nobody seems to mind. Holds a head better for sure and has a little more body.

So........I've read a ton on here, and can't really find anyone doing what I am thinking. I usually make a cider using 007 yeast, and it comes out with alot of apple flavor, dry, and still somewhat sweet. I was thinking of using this yeast for the graff, but I want to change the ratios, at least 51% beer.

Has anyone ever tried this? Or have any idea how this might come out?

I was thinking about throwing it in Beer Smith to see what it says.

So........I've read a ton on here, and can't really find anyone doing what I am thinking. I usually make a cider using 007 yeast, and it comes out with alot of apple flavor, dry, and still somewhat sweet. I was thinking of using this yeast for the graff, but I want to change the ratios, at least 51% beer.

Has anyone ever tried this? Or have any idea how this might come out?

I was thinking about throwing it in Beer Smith to see what it says.

I haven't tried it but I think I would prefer beer flavored cider over apple flavored beer. See:Reds apple ale. Gross stuff.

finally put some of this in my keezer. I do like it better than apfelwein for sure. Much "smoother". Doesn't clear as well but nobody seems to mind. Holds a head better for sure and has a little more body.

x2

Hi there,

I've brewed up this recipe pretty much like in the original post. I’m an all grain brewer and that was my first cider. I’m more a beer drinker and I don’t think that I’ve tasted a lot of ciders yet.

Now I had this fermenting for 2 weeks and 4 weeks in the keg (carbonated in the fridge). I’ve used gelatine as I do in my beers. Beside that this stuff is not clear, which does not matter much to me, the taste is very dry. The FG was about 1.010 and I’ve used Notty.
I know its still young, but I think I want to back sweeten this stuff.

What should I do?

I have one gal of apple cider with potassium at home. I bought that before I realized that potassium is a bad idea. Can I use this apple cider to back sweeten (there is space in the keg)?

Any better options?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I've brewed up this recipe pretty much like in the original post. I’m an all grain brewer and that was my first cider. I’m more a beer drinker and I don’t think that I’ve tasted a lot of ciders yet.

Now I had this fermenting for 2 weeks and 4 weeks in the keg (carbonated in the fridge). I’ve used gelatine as I do in my beers. Beside that this stuff is not clear, which does not matter much to me, the taste is very dry. The FG was about 1.010 and I’ve used Notty.
I know its still young, but I think I want to back sweeten this stuff.

What should I do?

I have one gal of apple cider with potassium at home. I bought that before I realized that potassium is a bad idea. Can I use this apple cider to back sweeten (there is space in the keg)?

Any better options?

Thanks!

I use cans of apple juice concentrate to back sweeten mine. Two cans per 5 gallons but do it to your taste and make sure you roll the keg around to mix it in before serving. Once I just dropped it in and forgot to roll it around and all the juice came out of the tap first.LOL

Just made my first batch. After only one week of carbonating in the keg it is delicious!

Ok I trolled through as many pages of this as I could without finding if someone has done a "Black Graff" version of this!?

I'm thinking sub out with Dark DME and Dark Crystal malt.

Whats the general consensus on this plan? Too hectic, un-appetizing?

I have these ingredients on hand so figured I would try it unless someone can let me know it will be a horrible abomination!

Also I have S 05, 04 as well as cider yeast.... why is no one using cider yeast with this!? I have never made a cider before.

Otherwise I will go ahead with this tomorrow...mmmm

Ok I trolled through as many pages of this as I could without finding if someone has done a "Black Graff" version of this!?

I'm thinking sub out with Dark DME and Dark Crystal malt.

Whats the general consensus on this plan? Too hectic, un-appetizing?

I have these ingredients on hand so figured I would try it unless someone can let me know it will be a horrible abomination!

Also I have S 05, 04 as well as cider yeast.... why is no one using cider yeast with this!? I have never made a cider before.

Otherwise I will go ahead with this tomorrow...mmmm

If you look up the gunslinger's graff recipe, you should find what you're looking for

This is my first attempt at a cider. I followed the original recipe using 3711 yeast. I started the yeast with a 1 liter starter 48 hours prior. Started the brew process on Sunday. Fermentation started quickly and has been steady. I noticed kind of a sour apple smell. The smell has filled the downstairs of my house now. Is this normal for a cider? Everything that came into contact with the wort was sanitized. I did chill the wort in an ice bath to bring it to pitching temp before adding the apple juice. Fingers are crossed hoping that this is normal.

This is my first attempt at a cider. I followed the original recipe using 3711 yeast. I started the yeast with a 1 liter starter 48 hours prior. Started the brew process on Sunday. Fermentation started quickly and has been steady. I noticed kind of a sour apple smell. The smell has filled the downstairs of my house now. Is this normal for a cider? Everything that came into contact with the wort was sanitized. I did chill the wort in an ice bath to bring it to pitching temp before adding the apple juice. Fingers are crossed hoping that this is normal.

Yes, very normal. :)

I made this and it taste like an apple farted in a Bud Light. Hopefully it gets a little better with age.
Mines about two months old. It's dry and tart. It is getting more apple flavor as it sits. I wondering if this is not a better recipe to keg so you can more easily back sweet it.

I need to pull back my negative remark on this brew. It's been in the bottle for over a year now and it's way better.
Ther's more apple flavor, more balance and more fullness (no longer taste watery).
So if you didn't care for this brew try hiding it in the basement for a year. I'm pleasantly suprised to have a nice cider in time for fall!

How is everyone adding their hops? Pellet or whole? Let them free and hope it settles out and clears or using a bag/filter? It's not a very big amount some I'm thinking letting them free might be ok? Will be starting a 6 gal batch in the next few days. I added about .25 oz of some German traditions 4.9% pellets in a "tea" to my vanilla cider I bottled last night and it was AWESOME.

Well I'm a creature of habit lol so I almost always use hop sack with pellets. Mostly because it's easier cleanup. Lol. I have used whole leaf hops (from my own garden) with this recipe also, and both turned out great. 🍻

Hello all, SWMBO and I have just gotten into home brew.We have only made straight cider and a cyser so far. Some of which have been mheeh. Now we are looking to further our recipes for more flavor. I found this recipe a couple of weeks ago and ordered the ingredients from NorCal Brewing Solutions. I have been excitedly awaiting my package which arrived yesterday!!! So.....

We are brewing up a batch of this right now!! Crystal 120 and torrified wheat are steeping on grandmas old heat pad (thing cooks!!) wrapped in a towel, 20 minutes to go. We are sparging through a old steamer basket I found in the back of the cupboard. So far so good, off to sterilize a 30L speidel.............

Latest posts

Back