Goya Malt starter as a last resort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braddock

Reaction score
I ordered a recipe kit with my brewing equipment and the Wyeast activator never did more than slightly swell. After three days of never getting any bigger I started looking for info on making a starter. I'm just starting out and I don't have surplus DME on hand. I found suggestions for ovaltine and Goya Malt as an alternative starter medium.

After finding some Goya Malt at the market I decided to give it a go with my half bloated yeast pack. This is what the starter looks like after three days. I'm trying to talk myself into giving this a shot. Looks like I have a little yeast cake on the bottom and bubble activity up top. Any opinions?

This is the info I used.

Just wanted some opinions on the way the starter looks. This is my first one and not conventional at that. Looks like I'll be brewing my second batch of the weekend.

Looks like your starter worked to me too. If you think you need more yeast you can always keep stepping up your yeast volume by decanting and adding more wort (or in your case goya malt hehe).

Here is a nice calculator to help figure out pitching rates:
Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

Also, don't forget to decant the goya malt before you pitch it... just sayin it b/c too much info is never a bad thing =)

Latest posts

Back