Got too warm--best course of action?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nedjones

Reaction score
So I brewed a pale (with spruce tips) on Saturday using some Wyeast 1056 slurry from my last batch. My recipe said to ferment at 68°, but I have not real way to control my temps yet, so I just put it in my brew closet and hoped for the best. I live in Seattle. Then yesterday broke heat records--I think it got up to 85. I've never really worried about keeping my beer cool, just trying to keep it warm in the winter. I don't even have a temp probe or anything, so I don't even know how warm it is.

Anyway, to mediate further damage, I'm moving it to my basement (which should stay around 65°). Was thinking of putting a wet T-shirt on it to bring the temp down from whatever it is now. And I plan on leaving it in the fermenter an extra couple weeks to let it clean up.

Any other advice? Thanks!

You've done what you can, in my opinion (aside from blending the final product). Once something has fermented too hot, I don't think it can be cleaned up. Typically it will have already generated the off flavors accompanying high ferment temps. With it having been only the first day of fermentation, you may have stemmed the tide and caught it before it got too warm. Won't be able to tell until you taste.

Any potential damage is done, but it’s an ale so chances are u still have a killer beer. Some yeasts will throw off flavors when too hot or too cool, but in my experience a lot of them are pretty resilient.

If your basement holds 65 steady that’s about perfect for most ales. Remember yeast generates heat as it works, so during active fermentation the beer will be four degrees or so higher than ambient.

It might be a good idea to get a fermometer. It's a lot better than flying blind.

Definitely next on my list. Don't know anything about them so I'll have to do some research. Also considering getting one of those heating belts with a controller hooked to the fermometer that will turn it on when the beer gets too cool. Then I can just do all my fermenting in the basement, or even my kegerator if I have room.

Much better than a fermometer is actually controlling the temperature of your fermentor! An old refrigerator with an Inkbird can do that easily. Or ferment in the coolest place that's below your ferm temp, and apply heat only when needed.

Aside from a fridge, I also use a large igloo cooler, placed in my lower level bathroom, that can fit 2 buckets. The cooler is filled with cold water, creating a large heat sink/water jacket. I add a couple frozen water bottles once or twice a day to keep the temp to where I want it to be. A small aquarium heater can heat it up if it drops too low, which is rare. I wrap a sleeping bag around the whole system to keep the cold in. I think that large water jacket is key to stable and even ferm temps. I haven't had the need to use a blow off tube since.

I live in south Texas. I keep my fermenter in my office that will get 76ish while the AC is off during the day and stays around 70-72 if it is on. Never had any issues at all and all my ales turn out great. Have no idea what temp the fermenter will get to but liquids will warm slower and cool slower so I usually assumed it never got much above 72. I may consider filling the tub partially with water and putting some frozing milk jugs in there to further insulate it, but again I've never had any issues. I'd bet your liquid never got much above what the temp was the night before

I live in south Texas. I keep my fermenter in my office that will get 76ish while the AC is off during the day and stays around 70-72 if it is on. Never had any issues at all and all my ales turn out great. Have no idea what temp the fermenter will get to but liquids will warm slower and cool slower so I usually assumed it never got much above 72. I may consider filling the tub partially with water and putting some frozing milk jugs in there to further insulate it, but again I've never had any issues. I'd bet your liquid never got much above what the temp was the night before

Fermentation is exothermic, it creates heat. More so with vigorous fermentations. IOW, the fermenting beer gets warmer during the process. That extra heat needs to be dissipated. Reason is, cooler fermentations tend to be cleaner, leaving less unwanted byproducts and fusel alcohols. With some yeasts if you want extra clovey character (phenols), fermenting 2-4 degrees higher will get you that.

It takes a while for a full 5-6 gallon fermentor to lose or gain 4°F, so on average your beer maybe fermenting around 74F. 72F is already on the high side for fermentation for most ale yeasts, especially in the early stages (say up to 50-70% done). 76F is definitely (too) high. You can raise the temps a few degrees toward the end of fermentation to help finish it out and work off some byproducts (e.g., diacetyl). Belgian yeasts do well in 72-74F range, giving off a lot of character, but most of us prefer to start them around 68F and let them slowly warm up. Higher ferm temps tend to produce more fusel alcohols.

Indeed, with my cooler setup temps remain very constant. The frozen pint water bottles often still have a chunk of ice in them when I exchange them out for fresh ones 8-12 hours later. Those water bottles are a wonderful regulator.

Try it, even a storage tote filled with water is an improvement and easy to regulate with a few frozen bottles. Drape a blanket ot thick towel over it, to keep the cold in and reduce evaporation. Some people use swamp coolers, a wet towel or t-shirt draped over their fermentor sitting in a tub of water. The evaporation keeps the fermentor cool.

You've done what you could.. If esters were produced from the higher heat, it will subdue a bit in time, but it certainly isn't going to go away. Crossing my fingers for you & hoping it wasn't too bad.

If you're short on money just buy a Rubber Maid trash can that can hold your fermenter. Add cold water and ice as needed for temp control.

Warm water removal is simple...just use a racking cane or tubing. Then replace with cold water.

You could also buy 1 gallon jugs of water jugs (or 1/2 gal apple juice containers) and reuse them. Fill them up and put them in the fridge.

You can also refill (about 1" short of full) empty 16 oz water bottles and freeze them over and over.

Back