Got Dang BIBLE BELT@!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SowegaBrews

Reaction score
I'm almost out of homebrew and this stupid state won't let me buy alcohol on Sundays. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF@!@!!!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well.

They at least lifted the law on closing bottle shops during election days.

If you live here in the BB, you get used to not buying stronger beer on Sunday and, since the Craft-Macro movement at least the C store selections have improved, somewhat.

To be honest, it's not the closed on Sunday bit that bugs me. what bothers me more is that all the shops HAVE to close by 9:00pm. Meaning I'd have to be there before 8:45pm if I decides I want some late night libation at home in front of the tube. Even then, they are all room temp.

Yet, not even 100 foot away, the watering hole can serve em up cold until 2:00am. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuum, what? I wonder what the logic is behind that judicial process.

"Okay we're gonna enforce some new liquor laws. If you go to pub and have to drive to get home we're gonna let your keep the doors open til 2:00am. Ya' know, we need the revenue from all those drinkers and drivers."

"But, those dangerous fookers who are buying their spirits and enjoying them at home, we're cutting those bastard off at 9:00. We can't be supporting drunkedness in the privacy of somebodies own home now can we?"

We were talking about retiring to a place in Arkansas, but I realized that many counties in the south are dry counties. It never even occurred to Bob, born and raised in Michigan, that the Bible Belt is alive and well.

Sure enough, not only the county we were considering, but all neighboring counties, were dry counties. I can't imagine living anywhere I can't grab a pizza and beer if I want to (and having to drive an hour or two to get the chance to do so) so we decided to forget retiring there.

ah yes, I too experienced the shock o' the bible belt. I grew up in NM where there are drive-thru liquor stores and you can buy liquor/beer/wine at any given convenience store. If they sold beer, they also sold liquor, including grocery stores. Then comes TX. Dry counties, counties that only allow beer, counties that only allow drinks served in restaurant/bar (no package), and having to go to a liquor store for anything stronger than beer/wine. I miss the convenience store bottle runs late at night, but it's probably prevented some troublesome shenanigans.

Pennsylvania just started selling beer and liquor on Sundays. Now if we could only get it in six-packs without paying out the ass. Glad to see PA's in the 21st century now. :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. :mad:

Here's another: If you like alcohol in your mouth, don't live in the south...

...or Utah. :D

i have to disagree.... I'm from mississippi..... There are only 2 dry counties in the whole state and only like 4 or 5 that are dry on sundays...... However, on intriguing point is that Lafeyette County is dry EXCEPT on Ole Miss campus. That is only b/c the Alumni (who pump millions upon millions into Ole Miss and the town of Oxford) raised a big b!tch about 10 years ago about getting beer and spirits in their luxury boxes at the stadium.... And the governer (Ole Miss alumnus) did the whole ominy ominy blessing and now the campus is wet.... But the rest of the county is dry as a bone....

We were talking about retiring to a place in Arkansas, but I realized that many counties in the south are dry counties. It never even occurred to Bob, born and raised in Michigan, that the Bible Belt is alive and well.

Sure enough, not only the county we were considering, but all neighboring counties, were dry counties. I can't imagine living anywhere I can't grab a pizza and beer if I want to (and having to drive an hour or two to get the chance to do so) so we decided to forget retiring there.

Come on down to Tennessee, we have ways around that!

Two dry counties, but only 5% beer.

i have to disagree.... I'm from mississippi..... There are only 2 dry counties in the whole state and only like 4 or 5 that are dry on sundays...... However, on intriguing point is that Lafeyette County is dry EXCEPT on Ole Miss campus. That is only b/c the Alumni (who pump millions upon millions into Ole Miss and the town of Oxford) raised a big b!tch about 10 years ago about getting beer and spirits in their luxury boxes at the stadium.... And the governer (Ole Miss alumnus) did the whole ominy ominy blessing and now the campus is wet.... But the rest of the county is dry as a bone....

I have to wait until 12:00 on Sundays to buy beer here. I guess some people don't like the thought of others buying beer while they are in church. Oh, wait, I go to church too... Hmmm.... let me think about this.

Nope, still not conflicted!

Wow ... I had no idea there were still so many dry counties out there! (Then again, I've never lived outside of Michigan. We have too many Catholics here -- moi included -- to be dry, LOL!)

Wow ... I had no idea there were still so many dry counties out there! (Then again, I've never lived outside of Michigan. We have too many Catholics here -- moi included -- to be dry, LOL!)

It is amazing! I have seen better beer selection in a Muslim state than I have hear in Oklahoma.

just started selling liquor on Sundays and you can now buy beer before 12 noon on Sundays also. But in my county the liquor stores are all closed at 7 pm . The next county 10pm and bars can stay open until 4 am

Two dry counties, but only 5% beer.

yeah, point taken.... Hey but it used to only be 3%..... They are moving up.... Now we just need to lobby them for home brew laws.... The only state in the country that it's still illegal... Homemade Wine, ok: Home brewed Beer, no ok....

yeah, point taken.... Hey but it used to only be 3%..... They are moving up.... Now we just need to lobby them for home brew laws.... The only state in the country that it's still illegal... Homemade Wine, ok: Home brewed Beer, no ok....

Not true. Oklahoma doesn't "allow" HB either. I can get a free permit to brew wine but, to brew beer even on a small scale legally requires a $1000.00 permit. Annually.

After reading some of this I guess I should consider myself lucky that I live in NYC. We can buy beer 24/7. Of course, most of places open late only sell the cheap macrobrews.

Back