got bubbles when racking, ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrychris109

Reaction score
bottled first batch ever yesterday. ponderosa porter from alpine brew kits. when racking beer from fermenter to bottling bucket, got some air bubbles in bottling bucket at the end of the siphon when fermenter was emptied and siphon gurgled a bit. i know this is not good. is this batch ruined now? and how can i prevent this? any input or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

its fine. a few bubbles won't ruin anything, and chances are some of the "air" bubbles you may have seen were CO2 bubbles coming out of solution. You would have to shake up the whole bucket or put an airstone down in there to really mess it up.

Don't worry about it. Although oxidation is a concern, a bit of aeration isn't going to ruin the beer, make it undrinkable, etc. The yeast you bottle with actually absorbs some oxygen, so you have a bit of wiggle room.

RDWHAHB dude!

Oxidation takes time. Just drink that bottle (you know, for testing purposes... ;)) and call it a day.

This is beer, its strong and a little bit of dirt doesn't hurt it:
predator_l.jpg

This seems to be what some people think their beer is:
fm_t_urkel.jpg

So remember, "if it bleeds we can kill it" not "did I do that??"

clarification: do not actually put dirt into your beer. Just know its stronger than you think and harder to ruin that you think.

Don't worry about it.

My first brew when I was transfering to secondary my auto siphon seal was not good and a steady stream of bubbles got into my beer. Lot's of them. The batch turned out very tasty. Of since it was my first batch it did not last very long after it was carbed up.

Perfection is difficult to obtain. This batch clearly does not meet your expectations. For a small fee I will help you dispose of that beer. Bottle it and ship it to me and I will provide photos of its destruction. If you could use 750 ml swing top bottles that would be cool. Glad to be of help!

Back