Got a job interview at a brewery tomorrow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're not saying YOU need to worry about being different, we're saying the owner does. Which hopefully will make him more receptive to "radical" ideas.

passedpawn said:
No. Made me laugh though. Only a few examples in this country (RR has had some success, but minimal, with sours, and Jolly Pumpkin, some other also rans). I bet they wish they were "heavily rewarded".

I acknowledged that risk is present and that one needs to be careful. Yes, it can bite you in the ass if you go too far with it... it's good to be ahead of the trend but not so far ahead that you're brewing tons of beer for a market that doesn't exist.

American Sours are making waves lately (imo) with dogfishes noble rot, and New Belgiums lips of faith sours, (as well as RR, ect, but I don't know when they started doing theirs)
I would like to have rotation barrel aged sours (much like RR, I really like the idea of pairing grain bills with barrel type as well as bugs) and some experimental seasonal brett stuff (100% brett-X+caryophyllene or Humulene driven hop combos mostly) and of course fruit based stuff.
Its not so much the risk of bugged beers that get me, its the amount of time they take up in a conical. Though I was told this brewery has 6 fermenters. If that is the case that's a large variety of beers starting out, I feel like they could handle some stainless being taken up with aged sour/wilds(or taking up keg space). But if there is a standardized set of beers like: stout,amber,IPA,Pale ale, wit/belgian, and light lager are written into the business plan then it'll be hard for someone like me to influence it.

American Sours are making waves lately (imo) with dogfishes noble rot, and New Belgiums lips of faith sours, (as well as RR, ect, but I don't know when they started doing theirs)
I would like to have rotation barrel aged sours (much like RR, I really like the idea of pairing grain bills with barrel type as well as bugs) and some experimental seasonal brett stuff (100% brett-X+caryophyllene or Humulene driven hop combos mostly) and of course fruit based stuff.
Its not so much the risk of bugged beers that get me, its the amount of time they take up in a conical. Though I was told this brewery has 6 fermenters. If that is the case that's a large variety of beers starting out, I feel like they could handle some stainless being taken up with aged sour/wilds(or taking up keg space). But if there is a standardized set of beers like: stout,amber,IPA,Pale ale, wit/belgian, and light lager are written into the business plan then it'll be hard for someone like me to influence it.

Sours on tap don't sell. Good luck though. Know your market - they are not you.

I don't enjoy sour beers off draft lines as much. I'd rather cork and cage them if it were an option. (Since I'd rather have vintages available) so for the sake of what I WANT to do I think I'd be ok considering the distribution law change down here.
BUT for the sake of this brewpub job, yea, I don't think I'll have the swing to ever do everything I want.

I think I have a good array of beers I'd make. I'm all over the board with my taste, these are simply my more creative and unlikely aspirations. I love and produce styles that mirror many genres and nationalities.

I doubt to many breweries would take the time to sit on beer when they can make several batches of a smaller beer that they can turn faster. Craft may have a different feel but they are still there to make money.

Here's the issue you're facing. Since the owner is not a beer guy, he has no dreams of being Sam Calagione. He dreams of being Jim Koch. The only way Sam Adams will sell a Sour or Wild is in a longshot six-pack, and the only reason they sell those is to appeal to the beer geek crowd that sees SA as too mainstream.

Basically what I'm saying is if the owner isn't a product guy, he will look at everything through an ROI perspective, and no one is getting rich through sours. Pitch the idea as a marketing tool, not a profit center.

Oh yea, my aspirations are only if I'm calling the shots one of these days. I don't think sours would get the green light (brett stuff would probably be fine tho)

Back