goodbelly ate insane amount of sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingschiff

Reaction score
So I've been making some very solid kettle sours prior to trying good belly. I was using OYL-605 Decided to try Goodbelly this team around as it is so much cheaper than yeast, and due to not having yeast on hand.

Anyways, gravity before adding any goodbelly was 1.056 for 6 gallons.

After 3 days the PH was down to 3.3 and I was pumped, boiled, cooled, and grabbed the OG.

1.027... 4.75 gal

Is this possible? Why did this happen? I understand lacto eats sugar to produce acid, but I've never had gravity drop like that and I've done 5+ sours with OYL-605.

last 2 beers using OYL-605
pre boil 1.054, post 1.060
pre boil 1.055, post 1.060

TL;DR: Tried goodbelly for the first time as kettle sour lacto. After boil my gravity was down to 1.027 from 1.056. This has never happened when I used OYL-605.

Anything I can do to not have a 1-3% beer?

seems right for a yeast ferment? i've never 'officialy' done a sour....Did it have krausen for the 3 days? temp difference?

if your adding the lacto without yeast 'first' you could have gotten yeast in it anyway....

lacto eats sugar to create lactic acid, aka bring the PH down.

I've never had OYL-605 which is a legit yeast company's lacto, eat that much sugar.

this time I used goodbelly probiotics, and had a much different result.

upload_2018-12-28_14-13-46.png

just found this stat which leads me to belive the 2 packs of straight shot goodbelly didn't have 150billion cells of lacto.

wonder if this would make it eat WAY more sugar to produce a lower PH??

figured this out, have found other instances where people used probiotics and saw it eat tons of sugar.

also someone did a test with OYL-605 which produces almost no gravity drop.

bcak to OYL-605 for me

Wow, that is a hell of a drop. I did a kettle sour with Goodbelly this summer and I don’t remember a huge gravity drop. I do wonder if you didn’t have a sacc strain in there somehow.

Lacto alone won't produce that much of a gravity drop, you had some sacch or Brett or something in there as well. I've done a number of beers with sour worting in glass, and have never had this issue before, with either OYL-605 or Goodbelly. Gravity rarely changes by more than 2 points.

krausen? i'm not sure if it should have krausen if it's JUST lacto....

---- :off: starts now!

(and damn trying to find out, i kept getting told...***** juice...pretty much every page i looked at..."vaginal microbiome") is that why all you other homebrewers are making sours, and BMC boys are in prison for domestic violence?

Brew science incoming!

OYL-605 is a bacteria blend (L. plantarum and L. brevis), not yeast.
Goodbelly has a single bacterium (L. plantarum).
You'll notice, that the primary bacteria species is the same.

The bacteria in both cultures consume some sugar to produce lactic acid. This generally doesn't change the gravity reading much because the amount consumed is relatively small, and the lactic acid produced is not a drastically different density than the sugar consumed.
Lactobacillus will not cause a gravity change more than a couple points.

The pitching rate has almost zero effect on the amount of sugar consumed or the gravity change. The Lacto fermentation is self-limiting by the change in pH, since the acidity inhibits the Lacto's metabolism.

Easy explanation for what occurred with the brew: You had a yeast contamination. Yeast fermented sugar into alcohol during the souring stage, which you then boiled away.
You'll have a very low ABV beer the way it is, but you can easily add sugar to increase the alcohol/OG back to where you want. Table sugar is about 46ppg. Corn sugar is about 42ppg.

LOTS of people have success using GoodBelly for kettle souring. The contamination is likely on your end, unfortunately. There's nothing wrong with using either culture. I use probiotic pills with L. plantarum. Make sure to pay special attention to sanitation throughout the process.

Hope this helps.

krausen? i'm not sure if it should have krausen if it's JUST lacto....

---- :off: starts now!

(and damn trying to find out, i kept getting told...***** juice...pretty much every page i looked at..."vaginal microbiome") is that why all you other homebrewers are making sours, and BMC boys are in prison for domestic violence?
Dude, WTF?

Dude, WTF?

i didn't even realize this question was in brew science again :(....

My question to the OP was....Does lacto usually produce krausen, and if there was krausen, it had yeast in it?

edit: this should be moved to lambic & wild brewing. so i don't look too off topic....

I'm not sure how I've done this process 5 times with OYL-605 and never had this issue,but first time using goodbelly I did?

Either way, enough for me to just spend the extra money on the OYL-605.

Really appreciate the input/science.

Back