Good time to rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchMySmile

Reaction score
I just had a quick question about the best time to rack out of primary. I've read that people like to wait until fermentation has ceased before racking it into secondary, but I've also read about people doing it while fermentation is still going strong. Which is the right way? I have my first 5 gallon batch of mead in primary right now and I really don't wanna screw it up.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, doozy of a question for your first post...

Based on my (limited) understanding of yeast physiology, I believe it's best to complete full fermentation in primary, then keep it there for a couple weeks (or sometimes a couple months, in the case of mead) before racking or packaging. I bottle essentially all of my beer directly from an extended primary, and a good portion of my meads as well.

While some of this may be more specific or important in beer, I think the principles can easily apply to mead as well (wine/mead yeast is still saccharomyces cerevisiae). Even after reaching terminal gravity, yeast are still metabolically active, and continue to 'clean up' byproducts of their metabolism that can contribute off-flavors to the end product. The risk of yeast autolysis causing problems is minimal at best on the homebrew scale, and is really only significant with brewery scale conical fermenting chambers where the huge volume compressing on the cone can actually cause enough pressure/heat to cause the yeast to lyse, causing it's own set of off flavors.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that do things differently, and still make good mead, but these are my reasons for why I do what I do in my quest to make great mead...I kind of giggled when I read your question "Which is the right way?," b/c if I've learned anything about homebrewing, it's that there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak...

This is one of those questions where the beauty of mead making shines through (note I said the making part not the beauty of mead itself). Its a never ending chemistry experiment with infinite possible variation due to the wide range of honeys, adjuncts, yeasts, batch sizes, techniques etc. etc.

With that said, you'll find the majority lean towards letting most or all of the fermentation complete in the primary.

Personally, when the lock stops bubbling on a steady consistant basis, I mean like real slow (every couple minutes or less), and there is a well defined layer of the settled yeast on the bottom, if you can see it. I'll take a gravity reading, wait a couple days and take another, if they are the same, it goes into the secondary. Still get some frementation action after that but not much but clearing usually starts pretty rapidly, give it sometime and go into a tertiary/bulk aging vessel.

There are a lot of methods and theories about this, as long as you keep things clean, sanitized and once you start racking/reracking you take precautions not to let too much oxygen get involved then "screwing up" mead isn't easy.

I'm not one to start the cycle of other chemicals, like stabilizing, then sweetening more then wanting it drier so repitch then add more chemicals then cold crash then split, add flavors, need sweeter, restabilize, bottle, bottle pasteurize......

IMHO which is just that, my opinion, don't hold it as anything more than a virtual newb rambling. It's better to figure out what you want the end product to be like, figure out the ingredients you need for it, find a yeast that is going to finish at the sweetness/dryness level you want, let it go til its all done. Keep the ingredients simple and natural, keep the man processed chemicals limited to nutrients if that and keep your experimentations and brewing fun and relaxed...

Practice makes perfect with this. I usually let it go anywhere from a month to 2 months before racking, generally it's done fermenting at about 6 weeks, but that can vary based on the season since—even in a basement—fermentation slows down in the winter.

Of course, everyone appreciates a nice rack.:p

Thanks for the replies guys. This is good info. I will definitely wait for fermentation to finish before racking.

Latest posts

Back