Good things about getting older....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
If you've realized that you're getting older and are looking for justification for this aberration of justice, give me two of your top GOOD things about getting older. I'll start.

1. It's good to be the king. I call the shots. If I'm in a position where someone else is calling the shots, I can usually leave.

Of course this is rarely true at work. So then we're old enough to adopt Bob's philosophy...

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody,
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

2. Damn, I know a lot of ****. I'm aware of this because I have a house full of teenagers that DON'T know ****. From the volume of grub they pack away I have no doubt they can create substantial amounts, but they don't appear to have any knowledge of it.

Okay, your turn....

People don't question the weird crap I do on occasion anymore. They just figure it's just me being me. Which is fine, 'cause I usually do things just to keep people guessing anyway. :D

Ize

Okay so I'm not exactly old, turned 30 a few months ago. But I've definitely noticed something. In your 20's(early 20's especially) you think you now everything but you actually know nothing. You hit 30 and you still don't know much, but at least you realize it.:mug:

when I was younger I went out all the time because there was nothing (no one) for me at home. now i'm older and i spend all my time at home.

clubs are dirty, gross, bars are usually gross, and i have a girlfriend.

I'm turning 23 next month, so I guess for me it would be that I became legal to drink a few years ago :D

I guess all I can add are some words of wisdom from my Uncle:

"When I was young and in my prime, I used to jack off all the time, now that I'm old and have more sense, I use the knot hole in the fence."

:mug:

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
You can last a lot longer in the sack. You

Beer-soaked minds think alike--I was just getting ready to post that.

What's the country song, something like "I may not be the man I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was?"

I'm 40 next year. Time to stop thinking of myself has a kid and realise I have to make plans.

I've just prety much had a year or two break from the rat race.

Edit: Bugger.....this year!

When I was younger, I had trouble getting dates. Now, all of the women my age are so grossly over-weight, I think I'll stay home & brew.

At the ripe old age of 31, I'm getting smarter.

I've realized what's really important - and it's finding something that makes you happy and pursuing it. I might not have achieved true happiness yet, but I'm starting to get a good grasp on what makes me happy. If I can find a way to make a sustainable income from it, I'll then be closer to true happiness.

I guess the one big thing I can say I've learned is how to appreciate long-term payoff vs. short-term pleasure. That's because I'm just now becoming financial capable of getting things I wanted when I was younger.

Good things about getting older:

16 - driver's license
18 - voting
21 - drinking and HOMEBREWING
25 - insurance break
40 - midlife crisis Mazda Miata (wait, is that a good thing?)
41 - retire from the military (monthly paycheck for the rest of your life)
55-ish - retire for good
65 - discounts at every buffet and diner
85 - you can say/do whatever you want, and people chalk it up to "He's old."

Yuri_Rage said:
Good things about getting older:

Adapting Yuri's list

16 - driver's license
18 - voting
21 - drinking and HOMEBREWING
25 - insurance break /complain about getting carded
26 - foreign car rental
35 - explore presidential run / laugh about getting carded
40 - midlife crisis Mazda Miata (wait, is that a good thing?) / wish you got carded
41 - retire from the military (monthly paycheck for the rest of your life)
55-ish - retire for good
65 - discounts at every buffet and diner
85 - you can say/do whatever you want, and people chalk it up to "He's old."

GOD, I hate getting carded. Friggin' 31 or not, it's really annoying. Some old man stopped by the house the other day to do a survey for the town, he asked if my mom or dad was home....

:mad:

VERY :mad:

How much jail time do you think I'd get for punching a 70-year old man in the teeth?

the_bird said:
GOD, I hate getting carded. Friggin' 31 or not, it's really annoying. Some old man stopped by the house the other day to do a survey for the town, he asked if my mom or dad was home....

:mad:

VERY :mad:

How much jail time do you think I'd get for punching a 70-year old man in the teeth?

I was out with friends the other day and two of our group got carded. Sure, one was a 22 year old girl, but the other is a 30 year old guy. Didn't care to card my old looking self.

As a bartender, I can say when one person in a group looks young, I go ahead and card everyone in the group, for two reasons. First, better safe than sorry, and second, quite a few people like getting carded as they get older, and it's actually more polite to make them feel young than leave them out. ;)

Oh, one of the best things about getting older is the wisdom of experience. That and the sex thing. :ban:

cweston said:
Beer-soaked minds think alike--I was just getting ready to post that.

What's the country song, something like "I may not be the man I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was?"

I was hoping I wasn't the only one. Oh actually I guess I don't care.

The older you get the less you worry about what other people think of you. In a good way, not in a 'I'm gonna stop showering and I'm not gonna do a damn thing at work' way.

The older I get the longer my dogs have known me - and still like me... so I guess there's some validation in that :rolleyes:

cnbudz said:
Okay so I'm not exactly old, turned 30 a few months ago. But I've definitely noticed something. In your 20's(early 20's especially) you think you now everything but you actually know nothing. You hit 30 and you still don't know much, but at least you realize it.:mug:
I heard a quote once that went something like: "When you are 17 you think you know everything. If you reach 27 and still think that you probably do."

I love being older! I'm more content with who I am and where I am. I no longer care what people think- I care what I think. I'm at an age now where I "look good for my age" and that's ok. I have more money than when I was younger, although college educations for my teenagers might change that a bit. My house and cars are all paid for, and I buy whatever toys I want because I can! I do what I want without answering to anybody- I play hockey, travel, backpack, canoe, ski, or just sit on my butt if I want, and it's because I choose to.

All that, and we (my husband and I both) retire in 3 years!

Yooper Chick said:
I love being older! I'm more content with who I am and where I am. I no longer care what people think- I care what I think. I'm at an age now where I "look good for my age" and that's ok. I have more money than when I was younger, although college educations for my teenagers might change that a bit. My house and cars are all paid for, and I buy whatever toys I want because I can! I do what I want without answering to anybody- I play hockey, travel, backpack, canoe, ski, or just sit on my butt if I want, and it's because I choose to.

Well said!

My budget doesn't allow for too much toy buying, but in my middle-aged wisdom I've come to understand that hobbies and toys are very important. (This from a guy who seldom works less than 60 hours a week.)

I've learned to really savor my family and my hobbies, whereas I was probably a little too one dimensional (career) earlier in life. My faith has also become a much more integral and important part of my life.

I'm also a backpacker--I look forward to my trips all year. Partly because my boys are now at the age where they really enjoy it, too. And partly because I'm aware that I won't physically be able to do it forever, so I'm really savoring it now.

A small glimpse of one's mortality is probably good for one's sense of perspective.

And, of course, I can last longer in the sack.

At present I have no budget for anything but there again I've only been working a day or so a week for the last few months.

As long as I can survive thn that doesn't worry me to much. There are much more important things in life.

I've had the pleasure of being able to stay home mornings and school my two kids at home. What a blessing.....it's a lot more valuable than money.

Plus, getting older = that sack thing the other guys mentioned. Plus, I care a lot more about whether or not SWMBO enjoys it too!

Getting older.........................hmmmmmmmmm

I just turned 30 last week.

The older I get the Less selfish i get. I dont understand, but i dont mind, when the wife comes home with this 100.00 fine piece of **** that she says looks great on the dinning room table.

Doing things you enjoy is top on the list, but as i get older, all of those things include my family(brewing aside).

That brand new crew cab chevrolet pickup is not a priority anymore, i can settle with something less fancy and new as long as the wife has something she likes and is safe for her and my kid(kids someday).

The last thing nice about getting older is learning the value of a dollar. Growing up in a house that did not go with out, i thought that making 80K was scrapping the bottom. I now know that would be more than most double income families in most states. Fortunately for me i learned this when i was about 23. Late I know, but better than now when i am, oh yeah, did i mention that i have old balls now and am 30....................:(

At least i do not roll over them yet like my father does when he gets in or out of most anything:mug: Balls that is for the slow people:drunk:

Whenever I go through the U-Scan line in the store with alcohol the machine beeps and says "Please show age verification to clerk". I just peer over my tri-focals and my foot long gray beard at the 21(?) year old clerk, who grins like she just heard the funniest joke ever.

It's funnier when they ASK for ID and then look up from it & say, "You're older than my father!" Then I take my hat off & when the glare blinds then, I escape with the boodle.

My greatest joy about getting older is getting to watch my boys (all 5 of 'em) grow into young adults, bringing over girlfriends and then breaking out the naked baby on a rug pictures!
My kid's buddies think I'm a cool old guy for homebrewing, and building some of the stupidest things on the weekend.
My wife is happy with duration and frequency. Me too.
And the most important thing is...I forget.

I'm coming to appreciate my family more as well, Radarbrew. I'm not quite to the grandbabies stage yet, but my teenagers are turning into men and women. One thing though, from reading your post I can think of another thing that comes with growing older: wisdom.

Yooper Chick said:

You're fantastic :D

I'm 40 and I love it. I love my younger man because he can keep up with me :ban:

I like myself more and more and value what I can contribute to my friends and where I work.

I am the Queen, not a Princess. I am the Queen because I recognize what needs to be done in life and am very capable of doing it, I need NO rescuing.

If I had known all of this when I was younger, I may have enjoyed myself more rather than beating myself up. But then, perhaps that's just part of my growing up process. :p

Shimms said:
You're fantastic :D

I'm 40 and I love it. I love my younger man because he can keep up with me :ban:

I like myself more and more and value what I can contribute to my friends and where I work.

I am the Queen, not a Princess. I am the Queen because I recognize what needs to be done in life and am very capable of doing it, I need NO rescuing.

If I had known all of this when I was younger, I may have enjoyed myself more rather than beating myself up. But then, perhaps that's just part of my growing up process. :p

Way cool, Shimms! Growing up has been the best thing I've ever done, besides having my kids. I'll never grow old, but I did grow up. And I have to totally admire the "I am the Queen" quote!

Back