Good starter for Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahambo

Reaction score
Looking for a good starter batch for a clone of New Belgium Tripel. I'm not the belgian beer type, don't like the fruity stuff so I was hoping someone could point me at a good recipe to build up for the 8% belgian.

I can't speak for New Belgium Tripel in particular but I designed this recipe for a pretty potent tripel using Designing Great Beers as a guide. I used Belgian Ardennes (wyeast 3522) which gives GREAT spice/phenol character and limited fruitiness so long as you control the first couple days of fermentation temps. I highly recommend that yeast if you want to keep fruit to a minimum.

As for the grain bill I suggest the highest quality Pils you can find and 2 pounds of simple sugar to dry it out.

kyleobie said:
I can't speak for New Belgium Tripel in particular but I designed this recipe for a pretty potent tripel using Designing Great Beers as a guide. I used Belgian Ardennes (wyeast 3522) which gives GREAT spice/phenol character and limited fruitiness so long as you control the first couple days of fermentation temps. I highly recommend that yeast if you want to keep fruit to a minimum.

As for the grain bill I suggest the highest quality Pils you can find and 2 pounds of simple sugar to dry it out.

+1. I have done only 12 batches, but five of those with 3522 and love this yeast. Very versatile. My only issue is that it likes to keep chugging in the bottle. Gotta drink em quick before they overcarb! Not a problem!

Suppose i worded this poorly. I'm looking for a beer to use as a builder to make the NB clone. maybe a blonde ale or such

Grahambo said:
Suppose i worded this poorly. I'm looking for a beer to use as a builder to make the NB clone. maybe a blonde ale or such

If you keep the 3522 at 65-70 it's not very fruity.

I havent had the NB, so I can't give you much more.

Grahambo said:

The New Belgium tripel has coriander added. The grain bill for a tripel is very simple. I suggest you use Jamil's Tripel recipe and add .5 oz crushed coriander at flameout. You could add more, but I'd start conservative and build.

I've used Jamil's tripel grain bill with a number of yeasts and always been pleased. Follow his instructions on fermentation temps. It makes a huge difference.

Google "Jamil Belgian Tripel recipe" and you'll find it. I think it's on the beer du jour site.

Cheers

i was going to do this last year and just didnt get to it, but after researching at the time I was going to do a blonde as a starter beer.

Latest posts

Back