Good SN Pail Ale extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe. I'd like to do a mini mash with steeping grains. I've looked at a few recipe's posted here but they all seem to be all grain. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Here's one I've done a couple of times. It might not be exactly SNPA, but it's in the ballpark. It looks like I was using up whatever was in the freezer when I put together the bittering hops, but my tasting notes say I liked it quite a bit. Nowadays I'd probably dry hop with another ounce or so of Cascade as well.

Recipe – 5 gal

Malts
6 lb. light LME
1 lb. pilsen DME
1 lb. Crystal 60L
0.25 lb. Carapils

Hops
0.25 oz Magnum (13.0%) at 60 minutes
0.75 oz Perle (8.0%) at 60 minutes
1 oz Cascade (6.8%) at 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade (6.8%) at 0 minutes

Yeast
Safale US-05

Expected OG: 1.051
Expected FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 34
BU/GU: 0.63
SRM: 11

Ok so I just steep the grains at 155 degrees, for how long do you recommend?

There are two ways of doing it. You can heat the water to 155-ish degrees, then put in the grain bag and steep for 20-30 minutes, or you can just put the grain bag in the cold water, turn on the heat, then remove the bag after 20-ish minutes or when the temperature hits 165-ish, whichever comes first. Steeping grain is very forgiving compared to mashing. Just try not to let the water go above 170 before you pull the bag or you might extract tannins, which will give your beer a bit of that bitter tea flavor.

Back