Good recipe storage places

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookingPixie

Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading John Palmer's How to Brew, and he made the solid point that I should be keeping track of my recipes as well as each brew process so I can learn and debug as I continue making new brews.

Searched the net a bit and didn't find an easy tool for this - do you guys know of any? Of course I can use Excel, but I always find a pretty, easy to use tool creates more of an incentive for me to use it than Excel does.

:)

Do you prefer your records to be on a computer or are you cool with paper documents in a three ring binder? If so, I've got a pretty simple word document that I created, which I write on during all my steps

Hopville.com

Sign up and you can create recipes and have it calculate the OG and FG, the IBU's, the strike temperature if doing all grain recipes and store your recipes.

If you want to search for a particular type of recipes there are lots available on there too but it is a good idea to know how recipes work because some are not tested and don't look like they would be very good. If you want to see some that I have developed search for RM7MN. Make sure you click the arrow in the search box to only search by brewer.

I do all mine paper

I do both. I have a brew book that I print out the recipe, have a brew checkist that I write notes on and then input it back into electronic version. It is a three ring binder that I have clear sheets in and put in the checklist and the recipe.

I can check my brewing both ways. electro ic and paper.

I like BeerSmith. Makes it really easy to copy a brew, and tweak the recipe ever so slightly. I have a "Currently Brewing", "Past Brewed" and a "To Be Brewed" folder that I keep them in.

Paper, that hangs on a rusty clip from the bucket handle. The recipe, mash and boil, times, readings, thoughts and ideas. Then it gets stuck with the rest of my records. Soon to be organized until I get another brain fart. Then I start with a fresh sheet of more paper. :confused: thats my system. Cheers:D

Most of the recipe calculation tools also save your recipes. I use a few different tools for creating and storing recipes, so on brew day I print out the recipe from whatever tool I'm using and then write notes, such as S.G., pitching temp, bottling date, etc. on the printout. I keep all the printouts together in my brew fridge with a binder clip. If you're after a free recipe software, I recommend BrewMate. If you use pre-hopped can kits in your recipes, I recommend Kit and Extract Beer Designer as it has the data for a lot of the common can kits built in.

I use ibrewmaster on the iPad. Tracks everything, let's you create recipes in addition to hundreds already there, and is supported by Northern Brewer so a lot of their recipes and kits are in there. It is great for using the timers while brewing as it shows time remaining broken down to every addition, and has a calendar and pop up reminders letting you know when to rack, bottle, etc.

You can email each batch to yourself if you want to keep a paper copy of things.

I use ibrewmaster on the iPad. Tracks everything, let's you create recipes in addition to hundreds already there, and is supported by Northern Brewer so a lot of their recipes and kits are in there. It is great for using the timers while brewing as it shows time remaining broken down to every addition, and has a calendar and pop up reminders letting you know when to rack, bottle, etc.

You can email each batch to yourself if you want to keep a paper copy of things.

That sounds pretty awesome actually! Does it support BeerSmith recipes? I'd like to stop having to bring my laptop down into my cold dirty garage if I can.

Do they make an Android version?>

I just use a 1 subject spiral notebook for my brews/recipes. And it stays in a small cubby right above my monitor. My comp hutch has 2 lil cubbies up there. Left side is my notebook & camera. Right side is CD carrier,scissors,scrap paper,pens,sharpie,exacto knife,small screwdriver.
This way,I know where it all is. But this thread did just give me an idea! Save a few pages at the back of my notebook for a list of recipes by name. Quick ingredient reference!:mug:

I have a notebook that I keep brew day and fermentation notes in. I also use BeerSmith and have a "Brew Log" folder as well as a "Want to Brew" folder of recipes I think are ready to go.

I've written new recipe ideas iside the back of my notebook. I also have a few pages of metric conversion formulas in the back as well.

All of my recipes are in BrewTarget, but after my old computer's hard drive took a dump on itself I've started printing out a template to fill in each recipe. No reason to not have a hard copy as backup.

I've been using hopville.com for a while now and like it. I like that it's accessible from any computer, so while I may enter a recipe over lunch at work, I can access it from my phone on brew day if I forget anything. Although I usually print a hard-copy to have with me and jot down notes as I go.

kpr121 said:
That sounds pretty awesome actually! Does it support BeerSmith recipes? I'd like to stop having to bring my laptop down into my cold dirty garage if I can.

Do they make an Android version?>

According to the website, the android version is in development and should be out in a month.... As for beersmith recipes, I don't think there is a way to "import them" but you could simply create them by hand.

Back