GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OITNB is technically not so great IMO, however, I'm really enjoying it and so is Mrs. Gnome. It's faulty, but still very entertaining. Thumbs up for the women's prison! ;)

OITNB is technically not so great IMO, however, I'm really enjoying it and so is Mrs. Gnome. It's faulty, but still very entertaining. Thumbs up for the women's prison! ;)

So many ******* decisions by that broad - she needs a slap in the right direction.

I am finding SALEM on Hulu pretty damn awesome. Once you get to episode 3 ro 4 and the story starts cranking along it's great. Creepy but not too creepy. My kinda gig.

Season 1 was up and down, but Season 2 is much better so far. It is much more gritty and does a better job depicting the darker side of the prison instead of presenting it in a comedic light. It's still funny, but it's much more interesting to me than Season 1. I particularly like how the focus has shifted from Chapman, still the main character, and is more on each individual character and their back story leading them to prison.

Agreed Darwin18.

*EDIT: The comment below is On topic, but.....it is taken straight from the show and may offend the easily offended*

It is coming into its own. No more whole episodes about the freezer dying, and a lot more "I wanna f**k Jesus in his hand holes".

I started Ripper Street. So far its not bad. Its hard to stay focused because im watching Supernatural, Sherlock, i started Ripper Street, and Haven. Im on a show overload.

A recent discussion of "the best overlooked horror on Netflix" yielded...

American Mary
Devils Pass
Dead Snow
The possession

My girls spent the night at gma's house so I thought I'd take the opportunity to watch World War Z. Less than 10 minutes in and I had to switch to an episode of The Guardian - just too intense for SWMBO.

After she went to bed, I still had time for an episode of Dr Who though. :rockin:

I dunno how Dead Snow qualifies as overlooked.

Recent horror I've watched/ re-watched:
Evil Dead 2 (classic)
Event Horizon (worthwhile)
The Bleeding House (so-so)
Hellraiser (they've got all of them, hit and miss)
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (very worth watching when in the right mood)
The Host
I think Cabin in the Woods is also instant now? This and the 2 above are LOL funny at times.
Night of The Living Dead '90 (my favorite of the remakes, the original is up, too)
Pontypool

Also
Serpent and the Rainbow (one of my favs if you haven't seen it. Book is great, too)
My Bloody Valentine - they have the uncut DVD version "as the director intended it" before getting hacked by censors, classic slasher made better.

Non-horror I can recommend:
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Upstream Color, somewhat unsettling, potentially very confusing

Dead snow NOT overlooked? Glad to hear it! I was laboring under the impression that only 17% of Americans could read subtitles.....

Ba dum dum.

Strangely, watching An American Haunting, when I suddenly have the irresistible urge to watch SOCCER.... So I paused it, lol.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403481813.657118.jpg

YES I AM.......incredibly smart.

On a side note, the ROKU app for ESPN3 doesn't seem to care that I am not a cable subscriber! Awesome.

Back On TOPIC:

An American HAUNTING was UNWATCHABLE. 9 to 10 seconds worth of SCARY does not justify the othe 118 minutes of CRAP.

*EDIT in my infinite intelligence I said American Horror Story, which was completely INCORRECT*

Penny Dreadful. Not on Netflix, but I found a copy online somewhere...

Not great so far, but my playback device seemed to play it choppy. The file claims 23 fps, and it looks fine on the PC.

Wife said it didn't mind her, so I let it go. By the end I just couldn't focus on the show anymore. Next episode I will NOT watch it that way!

Anyhow, I think it has promise.

Oh, and we rented Pitch Black. I don't think that's on Netflix now either, but it's an AWESOME action Scifi film! Vin Diesel is classic him, and the blonde chick is SO hot!

Penny Dreadful. Not on Netflix, but I found a copy online somewhere...

Not great so far, but my playback device seemed to play it choppy. The file claims 23 fps, and it looks fine on the PC.

Wife said it didn't mind her, so I let it go. By the end I just couldn't focus on the show anymore. Next episode I will NOT watch it that way!

Anyhow, I think it has promise.

Oh, and we rented Pitch Black. I don't think that's on Netflix now either, but it's an AWESOME action Scifi film! Vin Diesel is classic him, and the blonde chick is SO hot!

Agreed. They kinda lost me with all of the "Riddik this and that" after that movie, but Pitch Black was awesome! Less pretentious than the later films.

Agreed. They kinda lost me with all of the "Riddik this and that" after that movie, but Pitch Black was awesome! Less pretentious than the later films.

I appreciate the newer films (Still have to see the latest, but that is why I rented the first one for the young kid!), but they are different. I say good on them for trying to build a franchise around the character, but I wonder about the changes.

From what I recall he started out as a badass human with eye surgery, and then he later became a different race. A Furyan or something like that, from a different planet.

I'm still trying to figure out how the planets in PB could line up and cause an eclipse that quickly darkens the planet, yet doesn't continue on past and brightening it up again. I mean, you can WATCH the other planet rise up from the horizon in a few minutes. What stops it?? Does the planet suddenly stop turning?

I need to rewatch that. I don't recall that bothering me!

Well don't let me ruin it for you.

I thought later on he was phrophesized to be some hero or savior, and I am pretty sure he mentions he is a Furyan, which *might* be a human who was born on a different planet.

Man, now I have to research his back story!

I had to force myself to finish Season 2. The plot sounded interesting enough...(spoiler) a nazi and a possessed nun screwing in an insane asylum with a serial killer and a reporter sounds like it couldn't be boring, but it was executed poorly IMHO.

Season 3 was a welcome change though.

Chronicles of Riddick last night. Not on Netflix or Hulu. Had to pirate. Even the Video Store downtown didn't have it! She said she gave the first two to her boyfriend because they didn't get rented.

Oh well, I solved the mystery of the Furian race and the movie was better than I remembered from last time. Now just have to rent the latest and I'm all caught up. Heard they are making a 4th movie.

I can't believe you still have a video store...

Yeah, and they don't offer Blu-Rays! Well, they are starting to again, sometimes. My town is kind of backwards. Most people were confused by the difference between BluRay and DVD. She got tired of offering BluRays and people complaining because they didn't work in their DVD player or they didn't notice a difference on their TV.

I think the traffic is definitely slowing down there, but we have enough people that can't get decent Internet that there is a demand.

We used to have two, but the one (Which was also a small Radio Shack store and tanning shop) closed down.

I like it. I can grab a new release if I want to and I enjoy stopping by to chat with the ladies (Lady now since the one moved to Louisiana) and joke around.

When I read that I almost gagged on my tongue trying not to laugh in the middle of a meeting. In hindsight, I vaguely remember watching a subbed film also called "The Host" IIRC but please oh please tell me you're referring to the Tweeny bopper film that the 56yo woman I work with almost cried over it being so terribad...

I'm still trying to figure out how the planets in PB could line up and cause an eclipse that quickly darkens the planet, yet doesn't continue on past and brightening it up again. I mean, you can WATCH the other planet rise up from the horizon in a few minutes. What stops it?? Does the planet suddenly stop turning?
I actually feel your pain on this one or at least felt it. We went to the theater to see it and it annoyed the crap out of me on many levels... Then bored at work on a 13hr shift, I stumbled across the promo website and it actually much better clarified all the holes and I've actually kind of liked it (the first one anyway) ever since. As a test, a friend of mine wanted to go see it and I had his gf read the website and him not and same result for him versus her really enjoying it. Go figure. My memory is fuzzy, but the website explained the orbits being altered due to planetary position and the binary stars altering position ever so slightly due to compound gravitational pull. Then after orbiting so many revolutions it would alter them just enough to result in the almost perfectly parallel orbits making a long term eclipse. I'm sure I'm conveying it poorly but it was made just plausible enough to let it go.

Only one around here is called "Wild and Wooly" and has all kinds of obscure stuff, but yes, it is doomed.
We've had one near our house that has seemed doomed for literally years and it still keeps on ticking in spite of being right down the block from a good 9 Redbox units in relative close proximity to each other. Turns out, they apparently expanded the entire shopping center and the guy who runs it does it for fun and the rent from the plaza would easily support it even if they closed their doors tomorrow and left the lights on. Still though, the guy charges the old $5 for 6 day rental period which I guess maybe if I'm ever going on a trip or I get tired of lines may seem appealing. Whether it'll ever close at this point I honestly no longer know. Sidenote, he also apparently liquidated a bunch of displays to free up a storage unit and made over $315,000 bucks from them so I suppose if you've been there long enough there could very well be some lucrative options. :)

When I read that I almost gagged on my tongue trying not to laugh in the middle of a meeting. In hindsight, I vaguely remember watching a subbed film also called "The Host" IIRC but please oh please tell me you're referring to the Tweeny bopper film that the 56yo woman I work with almost cried over it being so terribad...

I actually feel your pain on this one or at least felt it. We went to the theater to see it and it annoyed the crap out of me on many levels... Then bored at work on a 13hr shift, I stumbled across the promo website and it actually much better clarified all the holes and I've actually kind of liked it (the first one anyway) ever since. As a test, a friend of mine wanted to go see it and I had his gf read the website and him not and same result for him versus her really enjoying it. Go figure. My memory is fuzzy, but the website explained the orbits being altered due to planetary position and the binary stars altering position ever so slightly due to compound gravitational pull. Then after orbiting so many revolutions it would alter them just enough to result in the almost perfectly parallel orbits making a long term eclipse. I'm sure I'm conveying it poorly but it was made just plausible enough to let it go.

Only one around here is called "Wild and Wooly" and has all kinds of obscure stuff, but yes, it is doomed.
We've had one near our house that has seemed doomed for literally years and it still keeps on ticking in spite of being right down the block from a good 9 Redbox units in relative close proximity to each other. Turns out, they apparently expanded the entire shopping center and the guy who runs it does it for fun and the rent from the plaza would easily support it even if they closed their doors tomorrow and left the lights on. Still though, the guy charges the old $5 for 6 day rental period which I guess maybe if I'm ever going on a trip or I get tired of lines may seem appealing. Whether it'll ever close at this point I honestly no longer know. Sidenote, he also apparently liquidated a bunch of displays to free up a storage unit and made over $315,000 bucks from them so I suppose if you've been there long enough there could very well be some lucrative options. :)

Also, OitNB season 2 is on our list although we're grinding through the True Bloods presently which are pleasantly ridiculous. In a brief moment of desperation we even broke down and watched "Awkward!" if for no other reason than I mockingly repeated it every time we'd pass it as a joke. Then again, we got drawn into Justified for similar reasons but it was a far better end product.

The Host is a Korean monster movie. Not "scary," not great, but genuinely had me laughing at points intentionally. Cabin in the Woods and Tucker & Dale are more directly horror-comedies, but The Host certainly fits as well.

The Host is a Korean monster movie. Not "scary," not great, but genuinely had me laughing at points intentionally. Cabin in the Woods and Tucker & Dale are more directly horror-comedies, but The Host certainly fits as well.

Oh man! The HOST was good! I loved the creature.

Now, I am going to try and stay calm.

Tucker and Dale vs EVIL is on par with Shaun of the Dead.

Cabin in the woods is on par with SO I married an axe Murderer.

Mention them both in the same sentence again, and I will not be so forgiving.......

Watching The Host. Solid. Had this girl ever played a re where she's not dead? And now I'm realizing in talking about the same movie as you guys. Don't I feel like a horse's ass .

Back