GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys want to watch OA, just watch the first season. They really should have just ended it right there and it would have been great in my humble opinion.

A couple old shows to visit if you haven't seen them before: Extras and Arrested Development, both brilliant.

I admit I’ve just been watching old episodes of Cheers. I was pretty young when it originally aired. Some of the jokes are hilarious and Nick Colasanto (Coach) is great.

not on Netflix, but if you were a fan of the HBO series Deadwood, the movie is just OUTSTANDING. took a while to get back into the groove of the dialog, but definitely worth watching

and Garret Dillahunt does appear as his 3rd character in the show. not credited and you may miss him, he's really just an extra with one line, but that line hints at a back story that will never be told

Wife and I started Good Omens on Prime the other day. Kinnda silly but so far enjoyable.
I also believe the latest seasons of Black Mirror dropped on Netflix today but haven't seen or heard much about them yet.

Does anyone else feel that the Netflix originals are generally sub-par?

For example after two great seasons of Designated Survivor on ABC, Netflix produces a third season that's completely in-your-face Left Wing political agenda to the maximum and they top it off by killing the most interesting character in the show.

The last three Netflix originals I saw I just regret watching.

Wife and I started Good Omens on Prime the other day. Kinda silly but so far enjoyable.
I also believe the latest seasons of Black Mirror dropped on Netflix today but haven't seen or heard much about them yet.

Wife and I just finished watching Good Omens. I agree, it was silly and yet enjoyable. I was impressed that it was never blasphemous, it treated sensitive religious events (like The Crucifixion) and God Almighty pretty respectfully. (the angels and demons, not so much ;)) I'll shut up now so I don't spoil anything.

Wife and I just finished watching Good Omens. I agree, it was silly and yet enjoyable. I was impressed that it was never blasphemous, it treated sensitive religious events (like The Crucifixion) and God Almighty pretty respectfully. (the angels and demons, not so much ;)) I'll shut up now so I don't spoil anything.
I enjoyed it too. Not as good as a Netflix program but still new and different.

Not sure if it's been discussed but Ozark is a great show on Netflix.

is The Man In The High Castle season 3 any good? I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, but not sure where it could go after that.
Also the Japanese trade minister jumping from one universe to another was a little weird.

is The Man In The High Castle season 3 any good? I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, but not sure where it could go after that.
Also the Japanese trade minister jumping from one universe to another was a little weird.
Wasn't bad. I'd rewatch season 2, or at least the last couple episodes first, just to recall who's who. Slow start, but picked up.

For example after two great seasons of Designated Survivor on ABC, Netflix produces a third season that's completely in-your-face Left Wing political agenda to the maximum and they top it off by killing the most interesting character in the show.

I disagree and couldn't watch fifteen minutes of Designated Survivor. Stranger Things, The Killing, Peaky Blinders, Bloodline, Narcos, Mind Hunter, Ozark, You, Godless...all incredible. Nothing on network TV can hold their jock.

I see a ton of propaganda, poorly disguised as entertainment, but there are still more good shows than I have time to watch. Sometimes I even watch the propaganda so I have better insight into their delusions.

Stranger Things, The Killing, Peaky Blinders, Bloodline, Narcos, Mind Hunter, Ozark, You, Godless...all incredible.
I haven't seen any of these except Narcos, which was good but I wouldn't watch it a second time.
I'll give some of these others a chance, thanks.

Unimpressed by Ozark (and FYI I binged a season and a half, rather than watching less than 15 minutes)

Same sex bedroom scenes over and over -- no thanks. Besides that, the plot, acting, dialogue, cinematography, etc are good but not great IMHO.

I’d give Ozark a thumbs up. I prefer not to binge watch it though, seem to need 24 hours between episodes. Watched last three episodes of season one in one sitting and ended up confused.

I really liked Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu.

I liked Ozark. Also, Dead to Me and Santa Clarita Diet. I've been wanting to watch Handmaids Tale but since it's outside season, it'll have to wait for inside season.

the women in these shows are much better characters than any of the men. Let Crazy Mary/Walker have her own show. or Madame Gao: The Early Years
Totally agree. Would love to see Colleen Wing & Misty Knight team up for Daughters of the Dragon

Hadn't thought of a Madame Gao spinoff, or Crazy Mary.

I like your thinking

Orange is the New Black final season is out

& At the Movies: if you're a QT fan, go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

379h65.jpg

Last edited:
If you have or children (or even if you don't and love a quality animated series) you really need to check out Hilda.

Also, She-Ra. Amazing writing for that show.

the best thing about recent netflix originals, is bringing me here so i can look at @HoppyDaze 's avatar...lol

edit: otherwise it'd be me saying WTF to, 'otherhood'...

If you have or children (or even if you don't and love a quality animated series) you really need to check out Hilda.

Also, She-Ra. Amazing writing for that show.

Hilda is a great show for kids, have to disagree with you on She-Ra. Most of the kids shows on Netflix right now are trash. Overly PC and clearly pushing agendas. Bring back the 1984 NBC Saturday morning lineup plz.

Hilda is a great show for kids, have to disagree with you on She-Ra. Most of the kids shows on Netflix right now are trash. Overly PC and clearly pushing agendas. Bring back the 1984 NBC Saturday morning lineup plz.
Puffin Rock is good for young kids

Most of the kids shows on Netflix right now are trash. Overly PC and clearly pushing agendas. Bring back the 1984 NBC Saturday morning lineup plz.
Agreed. I'm currently watching Annedroids with my daughter. The kids selection on Prime is much better.

I see a ton of propaganda, poorly disguised as entertainment, but there are still more good shows than I have time to watch. Sometimes I even watch the propaganda so I have better insight into their delusions.
Propaganda = opinions/ideas you disagree with. Got it.

Taco Chronicles on Netflix is great if you like tacos. Which... if you don't like tacos, what's wrong with you?

DARK is the best thing on Netflix right now, though, and maybe the best thing overall this year. Crazy, mindbending stuff.

Propaganda=information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

It has an actual definition...
Right, and the authors of a show injecting some political opinion into their show does not equal propaganda. Most narrative films/TV shows include biases, but that doesn't make them propaganda.

Triumph of the Will, for instance, is explicitly about championing the idea of German superiority.

Netflix's Dear White People, meanwhile, contains content that explicitly addresses race relations in the US and certainly has opinions on and satirizes some aspects of those relations, but doesn't champion the superiority of African Americans over whites. (I understand that you didn't bring up this particular example, just using it to make a point.)

What particular content on Netflix would you consider to be propaganda?

What particular content on Netflix would you consider to be propaganda?
I'll weigh in because I started this discussion. The Netflix season of Designated Survivor hit almost every single point of the liberal agenda.
I agree things are usually biased, from some perspective, but there are degrees. This was about as extreme as you could get, and a radical departure from the previous seasons.

Unrelated, I've been watching Peaky Blinders and it's pretty good. Rather sexually graphic as we've come to expect from Netflix, but only starting with season 2, oddly enough.

I'll weigh in because I started this discussion. The Netflix season of Designated Survivor hit almost every single point of the liberal agenda.
I agree things are usually biased, from some perspective, but there are degrees. This was about as extreme as you could get, and a radical departure from the previous seasons.

Unrelated, I've been watching Peaky Blinders and it's pretty good. Rather sexually graphic as we've come to expect from Netflix, but only starting with season 2, oddly enough.

Haven't seen it, so I can't comment. However a cursory search does seem to indicate that basically everyone who loved seasons 1-2 is disappointed in the turn season 3 took, and that includes people who identify as both conservative and liberal. What that says to me is that it's just bad writing/execution, rather than an insidious campaign on Netflix's part to produce liberal propaganda.

Also: "On September 5, 2018, Netflix and Entertainment One announced they had reached a deal to pick up Designated Survivor for a third season of 10 episodes with the latter being solely responsible for production of the series."

I just finished watching Altered Carbon on Netflix. It was disappointing when compared to the book.

I’m watching Another Life now, which looks similar to Nighflyers, which was on SyFy recently, but better.

(I don’t know if Nightflyers was a terrible book or if the series was just a crappy adaptation.)

I'm looking forward to Anthony Mackie in season 2 of Altered Carbon.

Another Life... I (gleefully) binge watched that show. About four episodes in I realized that it's a sci-fi parody of every space-themed movie/tv show ever made disguised as something serious. You definitely need to suspend your disbelief while watching it. Katee Sackhoff is amazing as the ship's commander. I hope it gets renewed for another season but it's so horrible that it may be a pipe dream.

Back