Good Mexican Lagers to try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
So lately I've been reading up on Mexican Lager. To my surprise I learn that Mexican Lager is NOT (traditionally) Corona, but is actually a modified form of Vienna Lager.

So I'm interested in a shopping list (whatever I can get around here) to get a good feel for the style, before jumping right into brewing my own.

Here's what I've found:

First, Beer Advocate HATES Mexican Lager (http://beer-snobs.blogspot.com/2009/02/beer-advocate-vs-mexican-beers.html). The only favorable ratings they give are to Bohemia and Negra Modelo. Fine. I'll give those a shot (if I can even find Bohemia).

Pacifico and Dos Equis are available at every grocery store. It's been a while since I've had either, but I'll give them a try too.

Tecate comes in cans, but I won't let that deter me if folks say it's worth it.

Any others?

I like Bohemia, it's available all over the place here. Can you get your hands on some Victoria? It's the latest and greatest out of Mexico thats available here.

I'll keep an eye out for Victoria. Lately my "smoke & brew" shops (the only places around here that carry non-mass-market beer) have been disappointing me.

Negra Modelo is very good, and my go to beer at mexican restaurants. Bohemia Obscura was also another dark beer I had in Mexico that was really good, but I haven't been able to find in the US.

Both the blonde Modelo and Negro Modelo are good but I like NM better. Victoria has started importing in to the US, I'd definitely recommend picking up some. I wasn't impressed by Bohemia but it's been a while since I tried it.

BA hates Mexican lager because it's not high ABV, not hoppy and not sour. It's meant to be refreshing and light in a very hot climate.

Negra Modelo is my favourite Mexi beer too. Some good and crips with some subtle cocoa notes...mmm

I drank a lot of Dos Equis Amber, it's pretty inexpensive. Brown pry top bottles! Beer's not too bad either.

I like pacifico and dos equis with lime. Corona sold in mexico with the big bottles is good too. It's stronger and much better than the crap they sell here.

Negra Modello is a good modern example of Vienna lager. I'm a big fan. Every now and then I'll also drink Tecate but it's nothing special I think. All other Mexican beer I've had is mostly unremarkable I think.

Negra Modelo on tap FTW

I am a big fan of Bohemia as well but that is hard to find around my way

I like pacifico and dos equis with lime. Corona sold in mexico with the big bottles is good too. It's stronger and much better than the crap they sell here.

Is this the corona familiar they sell in 32oz brown bottles? It started appearing around here about a year ago but I haven't tried it yet.

I prefer Tecate in a can. It was one of Jim Morrison's favorite beers, gets points for me on that. Generally I think it's got more taste than say, Corona. I'll go with Pacifico as well. I'll have to get Negra Modello a try.

I love Tecate in cans. Awesome light lager. Super fruity and fresh with nice malt sweetness and a crisp dry finish.

I was in Mexico two years ago and drank every Mexican beer I could get my hands on. I knew almost none of them at the time and came away loving Tecate.

We had Noche Buena on our honeymoon. It's a Christmas seasonal that you can get in late autumn. Really good. Can't go wrong with Negra Modelo or Dos Equis Amber is you are stateside.

if i hadn't discovered dos equis amber, i would have never started drinking good beer
it was an eye-opening experience as a youngster

Latest posts

Back