Good low-key cooler for mobile mini-keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

averageJoe576

Reaction score
I hang out at a few places in town that are BYOB and want to put together a mobile 2.5gal keg setup (w/ paintball CO2 tank) to take to these places but keep it as low-key as possible.

I've looked at the small 28L rollers(e.g. this Coleman) and they would be perfect...except they all seem to have an angled bottom/rear corner to allow for the axle that would prevent a keg from fully seating in the bottom, and therefor not clearing the lid.

I have seen an image of a 3gal cylindrical water cooler (the kind used for sports) adapted for a 2.5 keg, except it requires an external CO2 tank, which makes it more conspicuous than what I'm looking for.

Any ideas? I haven't bought the keg yet, but would like to not go smaller than 2.5gal if I can find the right cooler.

Last edited:
Saw this post a couple days ago, sorry I didn't reply sooner, but this is what I've got in the works for canoe trips.
10futqu.jpg

It's the Mash-tun I plan to use for small BIAB, so I don't have to clean my big mashtun. I get 2 uses this way.
5 Gallon Igloo Sports cooler.
2.5 Gallon Keg.
Picnic Tap.
16 Gram CO2 Charger, which from what I have read should push all 2.5 gallons.

It seems to all fit under the lid, with room to pack ice around it for a day or maybe overnight trip.
I think a 3 gallon keg would fit but not the CO2 charger. Wanted to be sure. The charger also folds down closer to the keg, I just have it tilted up like that for the picture.

Everything was new, I think it came in at ~110.00.

I'ld show a picture of it sitting in the cooler, but the cooler is packed with milled grain right now.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am really looking for something as low-profile as possible. I'd dont need it to be very insulating, for this use case it only need to stay cold for a few hours. And I do want 2.5 gallons or 1.75 gallon at a min.

This may be a bit tight but is the best prospect I've identified so far:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006HFBA4W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The uKeg does look cool but I really want ~2gallons, buying 2x 1gal at $230ea would blow out my budget.

Back