Good IPA recipes to try out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjay

Reaction score
Hi

I want to get some more experience with brewing IPA's and was wondering if anyone got some recommendations for IPA recipes.
So far i have only tried out a Two-hearted clone which turned out fine, but i would like to try something "hoppier"

Allgrain BIAB brewer
Cheers

Try making a recipe with Beersmith. It's easy and free for 30 days. Start from scratch or take an existing recipe and change it to your liking.

I'm making unique stuff all the time and it's mostly as good as any recipe you'll find.

Right then - as i am still pretty new to brewing i want to nail down some proven recipes before i start experimenting too much as to rule out any errors in my brewing process.

Beersmith sounds interesting - i will look into that one :)
Cheers

Right then - as i am still pretty new to brewing i want to nail down some proven recipes before i start experimenting too much as to rule out any errors in my brewing process.

Beersmith sounds interesting - i will look into that one :)
Cheers
Having used BeerSmith for a long time I would recommend you try BrewFather instead. It’s free for ever if you stay under ten recipes, much more intuitive to use and with a better interface.
Plus the water calculator actually works, unlike BeerSmith.

Be mindful of oxidation when it comes to IPAs .

If your beer smells or tastes great going into the fermenter and/or going into the bottles but loses its special something when you open the bottle, it could be due to oxidation.

If your beer smells or tastes great going into the fermenter and/or going into the bottles but loses its special something when you open the bottle, it could be due to oxidation.
I wonder how much is due to oxidation, and hpow much simply the nature of IPA hops losing the zip over time. Or both!

Wonder if brulosphy has done a test on this. Be a good one.

Just look at the numerous frightening photos of brown/purple NEIPAs on this forum that started out light orange.

What’s most demonstrative is lab tests. The hops book by Stan Hieronymous has an anecdote about a brewery that brewed a 243 IBU calculated beer which tested 117 IBU in the kettle and only 87 IBU tested in the bottle.

Back