Good commercial examples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yyvjpv

Reaction score
I have a friend who recently complained at the lack of American beers with "an even hand when it comes to hops and balanced floral notes". He claims you have to go to the UK for that. You'd think he must view all American pale ales and IPAs tasting like Palate Wrecker. I'd like to set him straight, but must admit it's not the style I tend to lean toward, any recommendations out there for a balanced, hoppy but not overly bitter, more floral style hopped beer? Bonus points if from CA, WA, or OR. (Or if not then readily available in the west) He's on the west coast so I'm guessing he's had a lot of west coast style which might explain his bias. Thanks!

American Beer or American Style of Beer?

Sorry, that was a bit unclear, beer made in America, regardless of style. Just wanted to challenge the old "it's hard to find good beer in the US, you have to go to European brewers for anything other than hop bombs" line of thinking.

Redhook ESB is distributed in the PNW and is definitely not a hop bomb. Black butte porter from Deschutes. Red light by Wallace brewing. The list can go on forever. There definitely are more hoppy beers in the PNW region than maltier beers but that doesn't mean there aren't a ton of really nice non hop forward beers.

I think the Brooklyn Pennant Ale '55 is fairly floral, but I don't know if that is available on the West Coast.

First thing that comes to mind is Ska ESB. That is an American version of an English style, though. Try the Joe's Pilsner from Avery.

Maybe he's not worth saving? Ton's of great west coast beers are not hoppy - he needs to pick a style that better serves his taste. Stay away from Pales or IPA's and he should be fine.

Back