I've been doing it all wrong -- English Mild Epiphany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarkstevens

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Start with a disclaimer that I've never been to the UK. BUT I have been interested in English session beers (which is most of them, right?), and been brewing a lot of English style low ABV beers for the past few years.

Tonight (on the way to the airport for a biz trip to Hanoi) I stopped by the Machine House brewery in Seattle. They claim to be fermenting authentic English style beers served at proper cask temperature, carbonation and with appropriate beer engines.

The oatmeal stout was good, ESB hit a good spot but wweet baby Jesus, their mild is ambrosial. Not quite sure how to describe it, but the roast character nit the right spot. Somewhat akin to Guinness (in the widget can) being complex yet simple.

I dunno if this is a typical dark stout, and suspect it is, but now I have a target to brew toward. I will have to go back when the brewmeister is around and see if he will give some tips and tricks.

A surprisingly light-bodied session ale with a rich roasted malt character. Incredible drinkable, the deliciously balanced chocolate and caramel malt character makes the Dark Mild a cult favorite.
ABV: 3.7%
SRM: 28
OG: 1.036
FG: 1.008
IBU: 20
Mash: 2-row, Crystal, Dark Crystal, Chocolate
Hops: Nugget, Progress, Goldings

Thank whatever brewing gods there be for a non-IPA beer out there.

The beer engine and cask storage makes a huge difference. I’m in the process of setting one up myself.

Sounds delicious though

I found that spunding and natural carb in the keg produces wonderful results. Haven't done a side by side triangle taste test to prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt, but I'm 99% sure spunding produces a superior brew. It also saves big time on the CO2.

anyhoo, now I know what at least one superlative dark mild tastes like, and will triangulate in on something similar

I spund, drink from a little over carbed, to under carbed, and then hook up the CO2 to finish the keg. Maybe there is a firkin on my horizon.

Back