Good Belgian Recipie for Wyeast 3787?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on brewing Patersbier this weekend, so I should have a good amount of Wyeast 3787 slurry when I am done.

Anyone use this recently to brew a big Belgian? I am not too hung up on the specific style as long as it goes well with the yeast.

It will be an all-grain strong Belgian that will ferment in ambient temps of around 74 degrees.

Any ideas?

Big Belgians are pretty simple, recipe-wise. The complexity comes from the yeast. If you want to do something lighter colored like a Trippel, use something like 85% base malt, 15% table sugar or dextrose. Spice very lightly with fresh coriander. Maybe 1-2 grams per gallon. Hop around 20-30IBUs.

For dark Belgians, the candi syrup is the key. Here's a recipe I like. You can omit the oak chips for a more traditional quad, but I rather like the oak:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/belgian-barleywine-contest-tested-212251/

If you start that yeast at 74ºF, you will likely get an absolute banana bomb. If you can't refrigerate the fermenter, at least bring the wort down to the low 60s or so at pitching time and get it in a water bath to absorb some of the free rise heat.

Back